Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Triumph service options

Re: Triumph service options

Quote Originally Posted by gadget View Post
    You mentioned higher rate springs...
    if you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh and what rate are the springs?
    I read somewhere that the Tigers are factory set to someone that weighs between 160 and 180.
    In a Vanson suit, helmet and boots I weigh 260.
    The front is 1.0 mm/kg, don't know what the rear is without looking at the paperwork.
    The 2012 Tiger 1050 has a rear spring more than 30% stiffer than the stocker, don't know how much they stiffened the front.
    I found the stock front forks to be OK, the rear shock poor.
    Now they're both awesome.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

1.0 for 260? I put .95's on my zx6r and weigh 145 but I don't know anything about suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    For what size? Where did you buy it?
    My Sprint has a 19mm front spindle, but the couplers come in many sizes. I bought mine at a hardware store back when I lived in Maine. It doesn't fit too tight, but since there isn't a lot of torque used on the spindle, it works fine.

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

So, i skipped ALOT of the replies, and this very well might have been said already, but my boss' '04 speed triple has an OBDII connector from the factory. He was able to hook up a Snap-on MODIS to it and get a LOT of good information from it just using Global ODBII capability. But, he was unable to do anything more that look at the PID lists. When it came time to actually service his bike (like reseting his throttle position sensor) he was forced to buy software. He went with Tuneboy...out of Australia i believe, and he seems very happy with it. I believe it was around $400 but he basically has factory capabilities with it, all from his laptop. Might be something worth looking into if you plan to be servicing this bike yourself. Hell, one trip to the dealer could easily cost you that. And, he said you could adjust basically anything in the ECM, so might be worth it anyways. Just something to throw out there if it hasnt been said already.

Quote Originally Posted by LN600K5 View Post
    When it came time to actually service his bike (like reseting his throttle position sensor) he was forced to buy software. He went with Tuneboy...out of Australia i believe, and he seems very happy with it. I believe it was around $400 but he basically has factory capabilities with it, all from his laptop.
    I use TuneECU on my Sprint. It's a free program, very similar to TuneBoy. I connect to the bike using an OBD cable for a Volkswagen, which is under $20. http://www.tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/index.html
    Actually, last weekend I synchronized the throttle bodies and uploaded a new tune. Sprint runs great now!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    1.0 for 260? I put .95's on my zx6r and weigh 145 but I don't know anything about suspension.
    I put 0.95's in my 'strom myself. I weigh in at about 230 lbs. Race Tech has a guide on their website.. can't figure out how to link to it though. It recommends 1.0's for me. The prevailing wisdom seems to be that it is okay to go a little softer on these 'adventure' bikes that theoretically have more travel.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Is this a question?

With different forks, fork angles, and front end weighting, YMMV.

I have just GOT to think up a better-looking method of securing the rear shock reservoir to the bike that those fugly hose clamps! Come to think of it, when I had Peter do the rear shock on my Sprint RS, I immediately removed those and replaced them with industrial-strength heavy-duty black zip ties.

Other than that, very cool.

How does it ride now?

Last edited by SprintPoser; 07-14-12 at 10:05 PM.
    2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Already swapped them, just didn't get a pic.

It rides terrific!

That's one thing Peter isn't in touch with...aesthetics. He's so accustomed to working on clapped-out EX500's and wadded-up Gixxers that to him, those shiny hose clamps actually look GOOD.

Do you know if I can replace the springs on the forks without breaking the seals ?
    Tiger has those upside down ones and someone mentioned it to me that it may be possible.

Sam

Tada. Rode with the YB's down the coast to Marshfield for breakfast, really happy with the handling and ride.

Lifer

Very nice.

Sew, I'm going to the TTD days tomorrow and have to secure the oil filter with a clamp and cable. The filter is well recessed at the bottom of the bike and it's not all that clear where to secure it. Anyone done this on a triple with the same oil filter location?

Wow, I guess that the rules for bike prep (and rider gear) at track days has changed significantly since I last did them 8 years ago. I'd never heard of an oil filter coming loose on the track or the street, so I must lead a sheltered bike life.

A few photos from different angles would help folks here offer up good suggestions. Do you have one of those wire plier/puller/twister tools? How close is the nearest bolt that you could drill through the head or replace with a drilled one?

I believe the general outlook is they just dont want you to be the 'one' who puts down oil all over the track. I believe they will pass you through tech without the oil clamp, and if they dont they should help you put one on. If your bike is in good mechanical and physical shape they wont even blink. The rule is so they cover the safety aspect...Im sure there are some fucked up bikes beong brought to a trackday...

Ive done trackdays with Tony's, Penguin and Bostonmoto....all without a clamp on my oil filter. Only once did anyone say anything. And after the bike was inspected a little more thoroughly, it was deemed ok. So dont super stress about it, if they make you do it, theres a 100 people there that will help you.

Done, I secured the safety wire to a bracket on the right side of the bike where there is clearance.

Started drilling the oil drain plug when the bit broke off in the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    //..Im sure there are some fucked up bikes beong brought to a trackday...

Ive done trackdays with Tony's, Penguin and Bostonmoto....all without a clamp on my oil filter. Only once did anyone say anything. And after the bike was inspected a little more thoroughly, it was deemed ok. So dont super stress about it, if they make you do it, theres a 100 people there that will help you.
    Me too. I was at BoMo the day an oil fill plug came loose, four guys crashed, one got run over, and the track was closed for a while.

The TTD rules say:

- OIL FILTERS: All "SPIN ON" type oil filters must have a HOSE CLAMP around it. A "spin on" filter is one that is outside of the motor (see photo below). ....

We require this because some people don't properly tighten their oil filters after changing. And the high RPM riding at the track can cause them to loosen and put oil all around the track (not to mention your back tire!). Once someone "oils" the track, it can close the track for many hours. :-(

Putting a hose clamp on cost virtually nothing and takes only a minute to do, so we now require it.

- If your oil filter is enclosed in the motor, then we urge you to wire the bolt holding it in, but it is not mandatory. But PLEASE make sure it is tightened properly.
    Mine is outside the motor. Third bike I've done and time required was about 15 minutes total.

Last edited by Garandman; 08-12-12 at 07:58 AM.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Started drilling the oil drain plug when the bit broke off in the hole.
    Try this bit from Mcmaster-Carr:

3146A112
    1/16", 1-7/8" L O'all, .5" Drill Depth
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/2437/=itw5a7

"Cobalt Steel Jobbers' Drill Bits for Shallow Holes
    Short flutes make these bits ideal for drilling shallow holes. They are also more rigid and provide straighter drilling compared to our other jobbers' drill bits. All are made of cobalt steel with a black-oxide surface treatment for heat resistance. For use on alloy steel, stainless steel, hardened steel, nickel alloys, and titanium alloys. Bits have a 135° point angle that produces small chips to prevent clogging. They also have a split point that keeps the bit centered without a pilot hole."

These work better than any I've tried in the past 50 years. Dip the bit in heavy oil often to cool it. The short flute means less chance of bending and breaking. The biggest chance of breaking the bit comes when breaking through to the other side, I've found.

HTH,

Kurt

And don't believe everything you think.

Had a great time at the track days.

Put the bike back together for road use and the rear blinker doesn't work. Then I discover that the rear brake light works with the foot brake but not the hand brake. Check the bulb - bulb is good. Check the fuses - ditto.

I had the same problem once. After a low-side on new tires I had to replace the entire rear fender/battery underseat box piece of plastic. That required removing the rear turn signals, and when I plugged them back in I failed to notice that the wires had offsetting staggered lengths. I had a 50% chance of swapping the wires and managed to do exactly that, signals didn't work right.

Once I took it apart again I noticed what I did, fixed it, all worked as they were supposed to. I hope it as simple as switching leads for you.

Any progress?

Lifer

How much did this set-up cost you?

Feel free to PM me...

Just going with MSRP:
    Shock is $1,195.
    Penske Fork Kit is $315.
    Front spring is $115.
    Add labor for assembly and dis-assembly, and some misc. parts like bushings and fork oil.
    YMMV as I'm not sure of the prices for other bikes: the SV650 parts were less.

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    I had the same problem once. After a low-side on new tires I had to replace the entire rear fender/battery underseat box piece of plastic. That required removing the rear turn signals, and when I plugged them back in I failed to notice that the wires had offsetting staggered lengths. I had a 50% chance of swapping the wires and managed to do exactly that, signals didn't work right.

Once I took it apart again I noticed what I did, fixed it, all worked as they were supposed to. I hope it as simple as switching leads for you.
    And that was more or less the problem: one of the connector pigtails had pulled loose, probably when I pulled on the connector to loosen it.

Brake light still isn't working with front brake, working on that now.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast