Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Triumph TE-1 Electric Motorcycle

Hypertarded

Triumph TE-1 Electric Motorcycle

Triumph TE-1 electric motorcycle prototype revealed, ready to roast tires
    Its battery was developed by Williams Advanced Engineering
    https://www.autoblog.com/2022/02/09/...type-revealed/

Triumph has reached a significant milestone in its quest to bring an electric motorcycle to the market. Working jointly with Williams Advanced Engineering, the British firm has completed a prototype called TE-1 that it plans to begin testing on and off the track in the coming months.

Engineers faced major challenges during the development process. The heaviest part of an electric powertrain is the battery pack, so they needed to make it as light as possible and install it where it doesn't drastically alter weight distribution. Williams Advanced Engineering solved most of these issues by starting from scratch rather than by adapting existing components. The 15-kilowatt-hour battery is mounted relatively low in the chassis (lower than the fuel tank on a gasoline-powered motorcycle) and the control unit is integrated into the pack to save weight. Power comes from an electric motor that develops a peak output of 174 horsepower and 107 horsepower of continuous power.

Zapping the battery from zero to 80% takes less than 20 minutes thanks in part to a 360-volt electrical system. Performance and range figures haven't been released, though Triumph pledged that the TE-1 is being designed with a "market-leading target range" in mind. And, the Brembo braking components and the Öhlins parts in the suspension system suggests the prototype will be seriously quick.

Triumph will spend the next six months fine-tuning the TE-1. It notably needs to calibrate the powertrain's various systems and ensure that the bike performs as intended, even if the battery's charge is low. More details about the production-bound model will emerge later in 2022, we should see the TE-1's final body panels (and see it in motion) during the summer, but there's no word on when it will reach showrooms. It may remain at the prototype stage: Triumph suggested the project's main goal is to develop the technology that will power future models

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Triumph TE-1 Electric Motorcycle

With that sort of fast charging capability, if it can keep the battery cool (and it appears to have a radiator), that could be a FANTASTIC track day weapon.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

It would be sweet with a set of aftermarket pipes with the baffles drilled out!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Triumph is one of those brands that I still can't really figure out where they get the means to develop all these different models and prototypes. They have tons of different models of bikes, with 100 different variations that overlap one another, but they're really not that big of a firm. Most other brands have the backing of huge corporations (Japanese brands, BMW, Ducati), or are just so big themselves that they have plenty of development money (Harley, KTM).

And now they're getting into dirt bikes and electric?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Triumph is one of those brands that I still can't really figure out where they get the means to develop all these different models and prototypes. They have tons of different models of bikes, with 100 different variations that overlap one another, but they're really not that big of a firm. Most other brands have the backing of huge corporations (Japanese brands, BMW, Ducati), or are just so big themselves that they have plenty of development money (Harley, KTM).

And now they're getting into dirt bikes and electric?
    Not that it applies to the electric bike (which I think they’re getting a lot of UK gov funding for, if I remember), but since Triumph relaunched in the 90’s they have been all about modularity and efficiency, which is why they have so many variations on platforms. I am consistently impressed with what they can do as such a small company. Also, maybe their partnership with Bajaj has injected some cash?

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    With that sort of fast charging capability, if it can keep the battery cool (and it appears to have a radiator), that could be a FANTASTIC track day weapon.
    What kind of infrastructure would be needed to fast charge at the track? That is going to be one thing that slows this transition.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

An even louder generator!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    An even louder generator!
    You ain't kidding. Palmer is out. Lol

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

220kg (from the article comments, claiming to quote Triumph)

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Hypertarded

more details, sad & somewhat disappointing:
    Triumph TE-1 electric motorcycle specifications announced
    It has 100 miles of range
    https://www.autoblog.com/2022/07/12/...orcycle-specs/
    England-based Triumph has finished testing the electric motorcycle prototype that it developed jointly with Williams Advanced Engineering. Called TE-1, the battery-powered two-wheeler was created to develop technologies that will permeate production bikes in the coming years.

Triumph began testing the TE-1 on and off the track in early 2022 and logging real-world miles allowed it to finalize the model's specifications. Power comes from an electric motor that develops 175 horsepower, which is enough for a 3.6-second sprint from zero to 60 mph. The battery pack holds enough electricity to deliver up to 100 miles of range and zapping it from zero to 80% takes about 20 minutes. Interestingly, the TE-1 is fitted with a regenerative braking system that's similar to the one many carmakers install in their electric cars.

Keeping weight in check was one of the most difficult parts of the project. Engineers managed to make the TE-1 tip the scale at 485 pounds, a figure that we're told is 25% lighter than comparable electric motorcycles. No competitors were identified by name, however. For context, the Lightning Motorcycles LS-218 offers 200 horsepower, a minimum of 100 miles of range, and it weighs approximately 495 pounds.

Compared to gasoline-powered Triumph models, the TE-1 is middling at best. For example, the 177-horsepower Speed Triple 1200 RR weighs 438 pounds, it's quicker to 60 mph by a few tenths of a second, and its riding range checks in at roughly 150 miles. The LiveWire One from Harley-Davidson has a little over 100 horsepower, a range of around 100 miles (depending on the measuring system) and weighs 549 pounds.

It's too early to tell what's next for the TE-1, but it doesn't sound like the prototype will reach series production. Triumph explained that the project will "now pave the way for the exciting electric future to come," though it stopped short of providing more concrete details.
    Think we are going to need a SERIOUS battery Tech breakthrough before bikes become viable for anything more than commuting to work

I think for your average sport, naked or cruiser rider, who go out for a couple of hours at most, current tech offers just enough range. Dual sport is pretty close as well; I believe the Zero DSR offers ~90 miles?

But for adventure, sport touring and IBA types, the current tech is just not there yet, especially for adventure riders who often end up in the middle of nowhere where there's maybe 1 gas station in a 50 mile radius, never mind an L3 charging station.

I think if a moto manufacturer ever released a ~250-300 mile electric bike (highway miles), I'd jump on the train myself.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Harley uses Electrify America or any other non-Tesla EV station: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/harley-davidson/
    I assume Triumph would do the same.

I watched a few videos that had interviews with the Triumph product manager in charge of this. He seemed to indicate that speed of battery development tech is pretty slow and that it’ll likely be as much as ~15 years before a bike could truly compete directly with ICE in all segments. Also, they figure it will be too expensive to produce the bikes and that will keep people from making the switch. He did have some interesting tossed-off comments about efuel and hydrogen combustion engines, so that may be where bikes go in the meantime, if new ICE bans go into effect as expected.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Anyone else surprised there was no big conversations about the Energica that was raced in Moto America this past weekend? Stefano Mesa placed 6th on his in the hooligans race and I don’t think there was a word said about it during the commentary.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...-powered-bikes