Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Triumph Tiger Explorer

Re: Triumph Tiger Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    I'm actually kind fo shocked at just how much less money those Japanese bikes are than the European ones. I know it's not apples to apples, but my Tiger 800 ABS was $10.5K and those others run $7K or $8K. While power & torque isn't really in the same league, you certainly can add a lot of farkles to them to make up some of the difference. For me, I've been in love with the triples since my first one in 1978 and am not likely to back to a Suzuki anytime soon.
    It's not even close to apples-to-apples. It's not even apples-to-oranges. It's more like apples-to-one of those little wild strawberries that's kind of sour.

I'm a big proponent of the V-Strom 650. I happily put 40,000 miles on one. I recommend it to anyone who wants an ADV-style bike and has a small budget. But having owned both, I can honestly say that the Tiger 800 is WAY more bike than the Wee-Strom. All stock components are far better, it makes 50% more power, it rides and handles better, and it's much more fun. It's very much in a different class.

The Wee and the Versys are great bikes for what they are, and I still think they're among the best values on the market today, but there's no doubt that they're budget bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    In the meantime, Suzuki has an excellent, compact, powerful 1,000cc V-twin that could compete with those bikes in the slice of market that the V-Strom was aimed at "Younger and more sport-oriented riders than the GS." So what does Suzuki do? Nothing, they bring out the DL1000 for 2012 unchanged since 2004. Unbelievable. Suzuki should just go hire all the product planners and field marketers from Triumph and get a clue.
    Well, the scuttlebutt for a few years now has been that the 1000 twin is being phased out because Suzuki can't get it to meet more stringent emissions regs. That's apparently why the V-Strom 1000 is no longer available in Europe. So they're just trying to milk as much more money as they can out of it over here until our emissions regs kill it off too.

Of course, that does beg the question of why Suzuki hasn't brought out a DL1000 replacement with a new engine. Maybe they still will; that would explain why they stuck with the same frame on the updated Wee-Strom instead of transitioning it to a Gladius-derived frame, which would have made more sense for that bike if it's only going to be available as a 650.

--mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Today is the day! Picking up the beast later this morning. I'll be at Great Bay for a while. Coffee, croissants, chat. Michaels Harborside this evening with some friends. Margaritas please!

A GREAT way to celebrate Cinco De Mayo!

Congrats!

BTW, real men don't do croissants. Eat a fuggin donut.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Lifer

'Grats man. Tomorrow looks decent for break-in. Especially with those heated gear sockets.

Congrats Kenn!

'02 F4i

Quote Originally Posted by Kazinator View Post
    Congrats Kenn!
    Thank you!

Let me ask you about the accessories on this bike.

Does it come with a blonde for the pillion, or do you have to supply your own, aftermarket?

Lifer

If you have to ask...

MCN spied the Triumph Trophy 1200.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    MCN spied the Triumph Trophy 1200.
    That sure looks like a BMW to me.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    That sure looks like a BMW to me.
    But with a triple! I want a bike like this when I get older.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    But with a triple! I want a bike like this when I get older.
    My dad has an R1200RT and it looks nearly identical except without the cylinders sticking out the side. Same silly mirror location that looks right at your hands and the saddle bags look the same.

Jeff

I sat on the new Tiger Explorer today. It had the "launch package" which added the high screen, crash bars, fog lights and belly pan. Very nice bike! Comfy seat, nice reach to the bars, and lots of goodies! I could definitely pile on some miles with the standard cruise control taking the lead!

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    My dad has an R1200RT and it looks nearly identical except without the cylinders sticking out the side. Same silly mirror location that looks right at your hands and the saddle bags look the same.
    I rode whatever new bike BMW released (K1600 something or other?) and it looked almost identical. If I had to choose, however, I would pick the triple every time. I dislike quite a few things about my Sprint, but the engine is absolutely fantastic.

'90 Yamaha XT350

I rode whatever new bike BMW released (K1600 something or other?) and it looked almost identical. If I had to choose, however, I would pick the triple every time. I dislike quite a few things about my Sprint, but the engine is absolutely fantastic.
    You can really mistake the Triumph and BMW until you notice the final drive on the left side of the Triumph. I do like my dads R1200RT but it's just a little too "touring" for my taste at this point in my life but I would not discount it if I was looking for a true touring bike.

And I agree on the triple's, I love both my Daytona and Tiger engines. To me, the Tiger is much smoother but the torque of the Daytona is a lot of fun.

Jeff

I'll bite...what things about your Sprint have you less than happy? I'd considered one of the Sprint GT's (as well as a Speed Triple) before settling on the Tiger 800, but then recalled that the reason I got out of my Sprint RS and onto a Tiger 955 several years ago was the ergos. Getting older I just felt uncomfortable leaning forward at all because it created a sharp pain between my shoulder blades at the base of my neck. Sitting up straight of a Tiger solves that for me.

So what are your issues?

I'll bite...what things about your Sprint have you less than happy? I'd considered one of the Sprint GT's (as well as a Speed Triple) before settling on the Tiger 800, but then recalled that the reason I got out of my Sprint RS and onto a Tiger 955 several years ago was the ergos. Getting older I just felt uncomfortable leaning forward at all because it created a sharp pain between my shoulder blades at the base of my neck. Sitting up straight of a Tiger solves that for me.

So what are your issues?
    My biggest issue is with heat on my legs, it can get very uncomfortable in slow traffic on warmer days. I also dislike the Corbin seat that is on there, but that's not really a Triumph issue. I also wish I had gotten an 07+ Sprint because of the 3" higher clip-ons, but that's been mitigated somewhat with risers. I probably shouldn't have said "quite a few", because off the top of my head I can't think of many more that aren't general things (I want another naked bike because the fairings can be a pain, but that's just because of fairings in general). The brakes and suspension could be improved, but I knew that when buying it. They are certainly adequate, just not great.

'90 Yamaha XT350

Even my half-faired RS got pretty roasty in those summer day/slow rolling conditions. I know of few bikes that don't.

As for brakes and suspension...

I replaced the rear shock on my RS with a Peter Kates-built Penske, and also had him "Race Tech" the forks with springs and Gold Valve Emulators. That transformed the bike completely, and I was awestruck at the difference. He essentially made a new bike out of one that (at the time) had 42,000 miles on it. The brakes were stock. They were of course Nissen-made, and the factory uses both stainless steel braided lines and HH pads. I had no complaints, even for the performance doing a 1/2 dozen or so track days. OTOH, I know of people with the same bike who went to EBC or other aftermarket pads and complained about shorter life and less stopping power. OK, so OE pads are almost twice as much, but I got 24,000 miles and good braking out of the two sets I went through in 54,000 miles. YMMV

Even my half-faired RS got pretty roasty in those summer day/slow rolling conditions. I know of few bikes that don't.

As for brakes and suspension...

I replaced the rear shock on my RS with a Peter Kates-built Penske, and also had him "Race Tech" the forks with springs and Gold Valve Emulators. That transformed the bike completely, and I was awestruck at the difference. He essentially made a new bike out of one that (at the time) had 42,000 miles on it. The brakes were stock. They were of course Nissen-made, and the factory uses both stainless steel braided lines and HH pads. I had no complaints, even for the performance doing a 1/2 dozen or so track days. OTOH, I know of people with the same bike who went to EBC or other aftermarket pads and complained about shorter life and less stopping power. OK, so OE pads are almost twice as much, but I got 24,000 miles and good braking out of the two sets I went through in 54,000 miles. YMMV
    The Sprint is far worse, as even today (mid 60s) I was getting uncomfortable in steadily moving traffic. It gets so bad that it actually hurts my legs, and that's with riding pants on. I remembered another gripe, and that's with the projector headlights. They have such a sudden cutoff that it is impossible to see around corners at night.

'90 Yamaha XT350

The Sprint is far worse, as even today (mid 60s) I was getting uncomfortable in steadily moving traffic. It gets so bad that it actually hurts my legs, and that's with riding pants on. I remembered another gripe, and that's with the projector headlights. They have such a sudden cutoff that it is impossible to see around corners at night.
    Does your Sprint have the foam barriers in the fairings that were added to the later years models?

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
    Does your Sprint have the foam barriers in the fairings that were added to the later years models?
    Yeah, doesn't seem to help too much. I'm finding the different ways I can position my legs to avoid the heat most of the time, but it's still annoying. The temperature gauge was only 3 bars from the top on a day that wasn't terribly hot. I flushed the coolant and added water wetter last year to try to help, even lowered the temperature at which the fan kicks on, but those effects were pretty small. I still love the bike though.

'90 Yamaha XT350

Lovely

Can't afford it

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Clearly the KTM is the winner. However my intention/purpose for the Explorer was to do "adventure sport touring". Not the Paris to Dakar ride. I don't know what the KTM has for luxury ammenities ie: Ride by wire cruise control, if it has ia 950 watt generator... I would agree the KTM can do all those off road adventures where you'll have to navigate streams and small jumps. If that was my intent KTM FTW and I'm sure any BMW rider would say the same. But for "old man" riding and staying over night in hotels/motels I'm the guy and the Explorer is the bike. From the start of my biking experience it was dirt roads. I've loved them. Cut my teeth sorta speak on off roading. Adventure touring is one step above Sport Touring.. If you're on a sport tourer and come across a dirt road youll freak out thinking the small stone kick up is gong to scratch your fairing. Bring it on with my aluminum belly pan!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast