Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yamaha FZ 09 2014

Yamaha FZ 09 2014

Yamaha FZ 09 2014 Anyone ck.one out yet or look into one ? Looks like a fun bike at a reasonable price.
    Never know when I'll need a stable mate.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Yamaha FZ 09 2014

I saw one in the dealership this past weekend. Great looking bike to be honest, especially with the blue wheels. If I were you I would definitely go for it.

Yev on here has one and loves it.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Thanks I will have to throw a leg over one when the Bike show rolls around!

They have one at Performance Cycles in Shrewsbury. If I didn't already have a striple, I would be very interested. Felt light and comfortable to me, but I don't know what they were thinking with the instrument panel. Bleh..

Saw one at riverside today. Sweet ride for sure and great value. I'd definitely look at it if I wasn't on a speed triple already.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I street rode one last Monday (canyons and highway) and track rode it this past weekend. It has a nice motor.

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    I street rode one last Monday (canyons and highway) and track rode it this past weekend. It has a nice motor.
    Don't mince words Alex, doe the rest of it suck???

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Don't mince words Alex, doe the rest of it suck???
    I guess that depends what you want it for. If you want a nice streetbike, then sure, cool bike. If you want a mean streetfighter that you can flog thru the backroads and around the racetrack while popping wheelies and backing it in... then not so much. The main issue is the front end sits REALLY high up. Bars and tank are way up there. The stock suspension is absolute mush to the point I rode thru a dip street riding and almost got bucked off. Forget tossing it into twistie canyon roads with confidence... there isn't any. This was on a cold day too where we weren't even pushing. Front is VERY twitchy due to geometry then mix in soft mush forks... Took it out on the racetrack last weekend and more of the same. Saturday night we tightened up the suspension as much as we could. Suspension isn't fully adjustable so opinions were limited. That helped a bit on day 2 of the track. The bike handled better and you could do more than 1.5 laps without wanting to pit in. I think I made it 5 laps. The front (again geometry of frame/fork) is still twitchy and when the bike hit 90+mph it's start getting really twitchy on the front accelerating thru the gears.

Summed up I would say this:
    If you are at max a B group trackday guy and don't haul ass on the street. You'll be fine (just turn your adjusters up all the way). If you ride A group and enjoy a 'spirited' street ride, you may find the limit of this bike off-putting.

I wasn't kidding about the motor though. It's a really nice motor. Good power, good sound. Lofting the front wheel in 1st, 2nd, 3rd is no problem. You can just throttle it up easily. Everything works nicely and how it should. Brakes, shifting, controls, all sorted. I'd really like to see this motor in a more sporting platform.

PS: I know some guys are putting suspension work into these and digging it (fork work and aftermarket shock) which I'm sure is nice but ultimately I feel the fundamental items (frame/geometry) are limiting it's handling.

Last edited by a13x; 12-19-13 at 09:22 PM.

I must be the only one who thinks it looks ugly as sin. I see way too much VMax in it for me to take it seriously as a naked sporty bike.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Thank you for a great review AX13! Pretty much the same feedback and feelings as youTube reviews only soo much better to hear from someone on here who's been on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawi Ken View Post
    Thank you for a great review AX13! Pretty much the same feedback and feelings as youTube reviews only soo much better to hear from someone on here who's been on one.
    No problem man. Nice Concors 14. I rode one of those up to Laguna Seca and back in 2010 (PCH and some lesser known roads). Got that big bitch up over 120 on some desert road. She's a large machine but great at what she's built for!

Hmm, I almost bought one the other day. Kinda glad I didnt after what Alex said.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

As a rider who's riding skill level is above beginner but not very advanced, how would this be as a daily rider/commuter? I've seen a couple and I like them, but I've seen leftover fz8's in the same price range. Anyone ride both and able to offer any thoughts?

Yeah, Alex's take is what I was told by Dave Searle from MCN. I was considering an FZ-09 for a track bike, but the platform is a bit too far from good for what I needed it to be. I went with the Street Triple R, which turns out to need a bit of suspension work itself to meet my needs.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    As a rider who's riding skill level is above beginner but not very advanced, how would this be as a daily rider/commuter? I've seen a couple and I like them, but I've seen leftover fz8's in the same price range. Anyone ride both and able to offer any thoughts?
    I haven't ridden either, but would say the fz09 is better on paper than an fz8. It's much lighter which means even with cheap suspension it will handle a lot better. The fz8 has some kind of half fairing, but those don't usually offer as much wind protection as you'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    FZ8 is nice. Jen rode one (2013 model) up to Laguna Seca and back this year and I hopped on it a bit around town a few times. Doesn't share handling/geometry issues that the new FZ9 triple has. The FZ8 does vibrate like a mofo thru the bars though.... I found that very annoying.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    FZ8 is nice. Jen rode one (2013 model) up to Laguna Seca and back this year and I hopped on it a bit around town a few times. Doesn't share handling/geometry issues that the new FZ9 triple has. The FZ8 does vibrate like a mofo thru the bars though.... I found that very annoying.
    Used FZ-8s were going for what a FZ-09 now goes for new... I saw a giant price crunch on a FZ-8 to maybe 5500? I like the looks of the FZ-8 a lot more than the FZ-09, but apparently it's a way better value?

I've always wanted a Speed Triple, maybe the FZ-09 will finally get me the sick triple I've wanted...

What "handling/geometry issues" does this new FZ-09 have?

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    What "handling/geometry issues" does this new FZ-09 have?
    Check post #9 in this thread.

Jeff

Well the Shootout article dropped today. Check it out here: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/8/1768...-Shootout.aspx

Shout outs to Waheed, Luke Dobie for the helmet paint, and D-Store Orange County / Dainese, and Cardo Systems (Scala Rider)

Lifer

I just test rode this bike. Fortunately or not, I read the reviews before riding it. But they are, in my opinion, very accurate.

I effing loved the motor. From the saddle it sounds like a bunch of pissed off hornets.. in the best way imaginable. Blipping downshifts made me:
    The brakes were good.
    The suspension blows. Jarring. Almost frightening.
    The ergonomics need help. All the Yamaha seats seem to push me forward in a way I don't like, FZ is no exception. On the FZ-09, the pegs are too far back. It's like sport bike rear-sets mated with upright standard/streetfighter bars. I don't like it. They had an FZ-07 as well. I did not get to ride it, but sitting on it, I liked the ergos much better.
    The looks I can take or leave. But the view of the roadway is awesome. I need to own another naked/streetfighter. That needs to happen.
    The gauges suck. I hate all 'digital' instruments. And the FZ-09's feel cheap and chinzy. I could not tell how fast I was going or where the tach was at or if my blinkers or on etc, etc.
    Handling is intense. Geometry feels like it steers very fast. Bike feels really light, which I dig. Around town, I loved how it handled.. except the bumps. The suspension really is jarring.
    Power modes thing is interesting. I tried "standard" and "A". We were warned not to start out in "A" as we'd invariably wheelie, and then they'd throw us out of the demo. I complied.. for about 1/8 mile or so. Did not loft the front more than a wiggle. But I'm sure that thing could hooligan your ass right into jail.
    But really, just gimmie A mode all the time.. then give me a button to hit 'B' mode when it rains. Standard? Phhh!

Bottom line is that I would totally buy one.. but only if I had enough left over to throw at least $1500-2000 into suspension goodies. Couple times during the ride I had to look down at the sticker they have on the tank of the demo and just marvel at how much machine you can get for $8k.

I ran the same route immediately afterwards on my DL650 (which has a ton invested in the suspension). The V-Strom felt like it had lead in its' ass. The brakes felt horrible. But the bike glided over the bumps the FZ nearly threw me on. And I felt like I could rail on the 'strom 100x harder.

If Yamaha put that motor in a half naked sport touring or adventure touring package, I'd be all over it.

And I really need to test ride a Tiger 1050 someday.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

How did you feel about the throttle jerkiness? or have they ironed that out. When I rode one I found it very distracting. Otherwise I think it's great for the money. And I believe yamaha is putting that engine in a half faired tourer...

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/08/1...-sport-tourer/

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

There are already rumors flying around about a non-super Tenere.
    I bet they make it and then only release it to Europe.

I'm most interested in the FZ-07. I know I'm in the minority here, but I can't make myself like the sound of triples.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast