Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

rear seat help

rear seat help

i just got my bike tonite.. 01 RC51 and i was trying to take the rear seat off, but its not moveing.. im unlocking it and pulling up and trying to lift like th ebook says, but its not moveing and im afraid im going to snap it can anyone help. i must b doing something rong lol im a retard thx smokey

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    02 R1
    06 WRX STi Sold
    01 RC51-STOLEN
    03 XR400 R(TARD) - Sold

rear seat help

When you say you are unlocking it, are you moving the key to the right and holding it there while pulling up? Can you feel tension on it while turning the key? Try moving the seat forward a little while doing it. Jiggle it if you have to.......after you get it off check the locking mechanism. They are know for vibrating loose.

Bruce

rear seat help

Originally posted by mycirus
    When you say you are unlocking it, are you moving the key to the right and holding it there while pulling up?
    yeah i am. im wiggleing it hitting it moveing it back n forth.. it just dont seem to wanna come up.. im supposed to lift the back and it slides off rite?

02 R1
    06 WRX STi Sold
    01 RC51-STOLEN
    03 XR400 R(TARD) - Sold

rear seat help

Yes make sure youre holding the key open while lifting the seat from the back. It kind of hooks the the subframe in the front so trying to lift it off there would make sad faces. I was gonna suggest the seat is stuck on there with some type of rubber seal people use but as Ive read you said you can move it right?

ALso it could have gotten teathered on. A lot of RC guys teather on the cowl cover because it can blow off while riding. Maybe the teather got tied up in something or maybe it got hooked around a wire. If you can manage to lift it a little get a light to look inside and see if its snagged. If the bike has an after market undertail and all the goodies in the back then its quite possible for it to get caught in a wire.

I wonder why the seat is on there anyway. From what Ive seen the RC guys usually dont have the seat on. The bike is notoriusly uncomfortable 2up as most sport bikes tend to be. Its so bad that a lot of us including me dont even have the rear seat. Maybe the guy just jammed it on there one day to see if it fit and he did it wrong.

Anyway grats on the bike youll love it. Check out:

www.rc51.org

More info then you could dream for about the rc. Most of it is free but pony up the 20 dollars for the boards. A lot of good guys that really know their stuff and the occasional great deal on stuff. More recently I can remember a slipper clutch and tires for track and street.

www.rc51.com

Free site. Good guys here too. Same style as this. Message board but it has its own rc51 section with some good info. A lot of us post on both of these boards.

If you have any questions theres a few of us here that also have the RC. Just ask away

James

rear seat help

Theres no room under the seat for anything anyways, leave the seat alone!

These two Youts gave you the correct advice, try what they said. My tail section cover is a bitch sometimes also. The seat should be easier because you have more to grab onto and pull. Hold the Key all the way turned while lifting from the back of the seat pulling up and towards the tank.

If and when you get it off you may see that the lock latch could be out of alignment or loose. Even if it is not loose take the bolt out and lock tight it back in. Then make up a teather with quick release clips so you can hook it to either you rear cowl cover or seat with the other end of the teather hooked onto the subframe.

If you do not do this teather mod now you will regret it! I lost my tail cover three times before doing this. Mycirus and SkiierX have also lot their tail covers.. It is very common!

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

rear seat help

Originally posted by Half Squid

If you do not do this teather mod now you will regret it! I lost my tail cover three times before doing this. Mycirus and SkiierX have also lot their tail covers.. It is very common!
    I have yet to lose mine but I thought I did the other day. The lock mechanism isnt all the great and it can works its way out. So ya go invest the 1 or 2 dollars and buy a key lanyard and wrap it around the sub frame and then through a small hole that you will drill through one of the more meater areas of the underside of the cowl cover.

James

rear seat help

and I still do not have my cover tethered! Someday I will!

rear seat help

I was going to teather mine as well but being a Yamaha... well it works perfectly so there's no need to

Yamaha

rear seat help

Originally posted by R7
    I was going to teather mine as well but being a Yamaha... well it works perfectly so there's no need to
    Ours works perfectly as well. Its design is flawless. After we pass you in a race it flies off at you and we go to win

James

rear seat help

Back away slowly I think its an

IED

Try also pushing down as you turn the key before you lift up

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

mmm

This happend to me once. even if the wire release has popped loose, there will still be tension on the seat release. When i put on my aftermarket F.E. on , I had to relocate the seat release. It came loose and the same thing your describing happend to me. I had to remove the F.E. just enough to get a flat head screw driver in there to hold the end of the release wire while I turned the key to get it to release other wise the whole wire would just shift when I turned the key because the other end of the release wire wasn't held in place by the little prongs that you snap the wire ends into. Good luck

rear seat help

the seats not on it, just that plastic thing is on im trying to take it off so i can take the rear plastic off. i need to get to the wireing and stuff, the fender eli. kit wont pass im trying to take it off for now. i just tryed takeing it off again its a stubbern lil bastard... i dont kno what to do lol

02 R1
    06 WRX STi Sold
    01 RC51-STOLEN
    03 XR400 R(TARD) - Sold

rear seat help

Are you lifting the rear of the cowl while turning the key? It doesnt pop up, you have to use your fingers.

Bruce

rear seat help

Originally posted by mycirus
    Are you lifting the rear of the cowl while turning the key? It doesnt pop up, you have to use your fingers.

Bruce
    hahah. The cowl can be a bitch. Just need to get your fingers under the lip. finger nails help a little bit too.

James

rear seat help

Originally posted by SmokennFasTT
    i need to get to the wireing and stuff, the fender eli. kit wont pass im trying to take it off for now. i just tryed takeing it off again its a stubbern lil bastard... i dont kno what to do lol
    It failed a NH inspection?? I don't believe it....
    You went to the wrong shop. Go to a Harley shop or custom shop that does inspections..

www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

rear seat help

It took me a while to figure how to take the seat off of my bike. What I ended up finding out is that I had to lift the actual key up after I turned it in the lock inorder to release the seat that little extra bit and get it off.

Everybody to the limit!

rear seat help

New Hampshire has motorcycle inspections?

Who knew...

rear seat help

i finally got it off when i loosend the rear plastic i was able to pry the seat up a little.. and i saw that the cable fell outta the C-clip and it wasent releaseing. i put it back in and "pop" off it comes. thxs guys. heres a few pics(no one prolly cares lol)
    -Smokey

02 R1
    06 WRX STi Sold
    01 RC51-STOLEN
    03 XR400 R(TARD) - Sold

rear seat help

It failed a NH inspection?? I don't believe it....
    You went to the wrong shop. Go to a Harley shop or custom shop that does inspections..
    i dident take it to get inspected yet. i had to take the rear off to access the wires cuz it dident have tail lights.. now i just need a plate light and some blinkers

02 R1
    06 WRX STi Sold
    01 RC51-STOLEN
    03 XR400 R(TARD) - Sold

rear seat help

Glad you got it off now fix it so it does not do that again. Boy you have no room in that trunk! Putting on an undertail takes all the space away. Looks great but I like the room my trunk has.

rear seat help

WOW!! You have even less trunk space than I do!!!!
    Yet still more than a 1000RR !

Get your directionals and plate light here!
    http://www.breaklites.com/
    In your order in the comments section put your a member here on NESR - you get a discount! I think it's 10%
    Mark the owner is a member of NESR, great guy!

www.tailofthedragon.com

rear seat help

Originally posted by skiierx
    Glad you got it off now fix it so it does not do that again. Boy you have no room in that trunk! Putting on an undertail takes all the space away. Looks great but I like the room my trunk has.
    YEAH... You do have a lot of junk in your trunk!

www.tailofthedragon.com

HAHA

Originally posted by SmokennFasTT
    i finally got it off when i loosend the rear plastic i was able to pry the seat up a little.. and i saw that the cable fell outta the C-clip and it wasent releaseing. i put it back in and "pop" off it comes. thxs guys. heres a few pics(no one prolly cares lol)
    -Smokey
    YEP, The prongs I mentioned were the c clip that popped out, same thing.
    congrats.

Re: mmm

Originally posted by FireFly
    This happend to me once. even if the wire release has popped loose, there will still be tension on the seat release. When i put on my aftermarket F.E. on , I had to relocate the seat release. It came loose and the same thing your describing happend to me. I had to remove the F.E. just enough to get a flat head screw driver in there to hold the end of the release wire while I turned the key to get it to release other wise the whole wire would just shift when I turned the key because the other end of the release wire wasn't held in place by the little prongs that you snap the wire ends into. Good luck
    now i understand your post lol

02 R1
    06 WRX STi Sold
    01 RC51-STOLEN
    03 XR400 R(TARD) - Sold

rear seat help

Get your directionals and plate light here!
    http://www.breaklites.com/
    i have the http://breaklites.com/honRC51undertail.htm (EXTREME GRAPHIC - R1 STYLE its at the bottom) can i just buy tho kinda signals? i dident see thos ones on that site, what are thos called? thx -Smokey

02 R1
    06 WRX STi Sold
    01 RC51-STOLEN
    03 XR400 R(TARD) - Sold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast