Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ducati 1200 Multistrada S Tour v. R1200 RT

truncated phrase here trider143's Avatar

Ducati 1200 Multistrada S Tour v. R1200 RT

I currently have a R1200 RT for long haul extended trips (camp or motel based.)

I am thinking about switching to the Ducati 1200 Multistrada S Tour, thinking it will be more fun, and match my typical riding more so than my infrequent long-haul trips.

I currently use the R1200 RT for commuting (100+ miles a day), riding in poor weather, multi day trips (2-7 days), 2-up single day trips. But I am finding I am doing fewer extended trips. Maybe 1/year rather than 3 or 4.

I am most interested in opinions from folks who know both bikes well, more than looking at the glossy brochures without experience with either. But knowing this forum, this won't matter

(Yes, DucDave, I am expecting you may have some insight

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Riding slow bikes slower. Wanderer's Avatar

Re: Ducati 1200 Multistrada S Tour v. R1200 RT

I've owned several R-engine series BMWs, and currently have switched to the Multistrada S Touring. So far I am massively impressed - engine is of course an utterly different animal, but the general poise and handling of the machine is exceptional.
    Weather protection is decent - I'd say better than the GS (not A) but not as good as the RT of course. You'll notice more air on the legs especially, I never really appreciated how much wind disruption those cylinders provide until I had the Duc.

Mileage - not amazing gas mileage. 5 gallon tank, I'm getting around 35-40mpg max, depending on riding style. Then again - with such a different engine and power output that isn't overly surprising. I'm also due a couple of ECU updates that may help with that.

Stock suspension on the S, the electronic Ohlins, is fantastic - I cant directly compare to the current BMW electronic suspension options, as I've only test-ridden the electronic BMW ones vs owned the non-electronic BMW ones in the past.

Brakes are good - sometimes I feel not *quite* as good as the BMW but are very good nonetheless. ABS operation is effective and not too intrusive - takes a good amount to actually get it to kick in. Traction control is, like power output, adjustable, and effective. It can be a touch abrupt when it interrupts, but when you get used to it doing so, its fine.

Between the ABS, power modes and traction control I find the Multi extremely confidence inspiring in poor weather.
    Long trip wise, my only complaint other than the gas mileage tends to be the seat can get a little uncomfortable after a while - but that may be because I'm more used to BMW seats. I'm going to give it another season before looking at options.

I cant speak too much to maintenance yet. The intervals are longer, but then again, the BMW is tractor-simple to work on - I dont think I ever took mine to the dealer for actual engine work.

Of the two I do think the edge in my eyes goes to the Multi. Its truly inspiring to ride - incredible performance when you want it on tap, but at the same time relatively sane around town or for touring. It does tend to make me do bad things however.... take the bags off, put it in Sport and it can be a hooligan-mobile.

Riding "The Widow Maker" LiterR1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trider143 View Post

(Yes, DucDave, I am expecting you may have some insight

Quote Originally Posted by Danny500 View Post
    Talk about good riders... you are one fun guy to ride with!!

The Multistrada is best.

I've never riden 12 an RT but the Multstrada is still best.

(Actually, I don't have an opinion comparing the two. Giles is by far your best goto guy on this question...!)

But, the Multistrada is still the best....!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Wanderer : Thanks for the insights.

All, I am wanting to be hooked on the Multistrada but the report in Motorcycle Consumer News (Sept 2010) has me thinking again about making this change. MCN reports "ABS functions poorly, but ABS off, the brakes are great." "Fly by wire throttle and/or engine hurts its driveability". On the other hand, the dealer today said there were firmware updates that improve "lower RPM performance and other driveability problems". I just don't know if the result addresses the concerns cited in MCN.

For those Multistrada 1200 owners, any serious concerns with your experience with ABS (on or off), or "driveability" issues (throttle response or low RPM)?

I strongly suspect I will go forward with a trade/purchase, but... am still interested in comments on the above....

Thanks all. This is helpful.

You have got to be kidding me. Who are these magazine testers? The fueling on the multi I sampled was the best thing about it! Seriously, I was thinking the whole time that the japanese manufacturers will have to scramble for years to match this thing. I thought all the modes of DTC worked better than I would even ask for.

The bike handles telepathically and the motor is an ALL TIME classic. All comparisons to BMW end right there. It's from a different planet. Bank it into a corner and wind up the throttle to a perfectly easy crossed up, leaned over wheelie. BIG grins to be had when that motor hits its sweetspot.

I found it extremely comfy, but I'm small.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    You have got to be kidding me. Who are these magazine testers?
    See attached.

The bike handles telepathically and the motor is an ALL TIME classic. All comparisons to BMW end right there. It's from a different planet. Bank it into a corner and wind up the throttle to a perfectly easy crossed up, leaned over wheelie. BIG grins to be had when that motor hits its sweetspot.

I found it extremely comfy, but I'm small.
    That is what I want to hear

The Multstrada is the best....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by trider143 View Post
    Wanderer : Thanks for the insights.

All, I am wanting to be hooked on the Multistrada but the report in Motorcycle Consumer News (Sept 2010) has me thinking again about making this change. MCN reports "ABS functions poorly, but ABS off, the brakes are great." "Fly by wire throttle and/or engine hurts its driveability". On the other hand, the dealer today said there were firmware updates that improve "lower RPM performance and other driveability problems".
    For those Multistrada 1200 owners, any serious concerns with your experience with ABS (on or off), or "driveability" issues (throttle response or low RPM)?

I strongly suspect I will go forward with a trade/purchase, but... am still interested in comments on the above....I just don't know if the result addresses the concerns cited in MCN. Brakes dont *quite* have the feeling of throwing out an anchor like the BMW ones, but I'm not sure that couldn't just be the pads, or lever travel, or similar.

Thanks all. This is helpful.
    I can agree - somewhat - to low RPM surging. Then again, you've had good seat time on a R1200 series engine, as you know they can be a little lumpy below 3k rpm also. Firmware updates significantly helped mine

Brakes dont *quite* have the feeling of throwing out an anchor like the BMW ones, but I'm not sure that couldn't just be the pads, or lever travel, or similar.

As for ABS, you certainly know its working when it fires off, but I wouldnt say intrustive. Throttle response is nicely varied among the modes - Urban and Enduro things are tamed prettymuch - almost identical to my old GS without the spiky torque curve. Touring is an amplification of the avalible power, while Sport is warp-9-right-now immediacy.
    What they I feel are misidentifying as fly-by-wire throttle is actually just surging at low RPM. Stock it was a touch annoying. Post update its fine. Kick it down to Urban mode in town/stopgo traffic, and its prettymuch gone.
    Brakes dont *quite* have the feeling of throwing out an anchor like the BMW ones, but I'm not sure that couldn't just be the pads, or lever travel, or similar.

I really dont get what they're on about RE abs functioning poorly.

Its a comfortable, upright, sensible, rocketship. It goes like shit off a shovel when you give it the beans. If you have not already, I cant recommend a test-ride enough. I had no intention of changing bikes when I testrode, yet I got off at the end knowing what my next machine would be, 100%

Last edited by Wanderer; 05-20-11 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    The Multstrada is the best....
    best at what?

while i wish the gsa had 50 more hp and was lighter.

i suppose it would be cool if the duc had a 9 gallon tank, a 750w alternator and the ability to carry just about everything inc the kitchen sink

jim

"Molon labe"

Magazine reviewers are smoking rock. There's so little left to criticize on a bike like this, that they make a mountain out of a mole hill. Nobody I know who rode the Multi mentioned anything but praise for the throttle response. Urban mode completely eliminates any tendency for the big twin to lurch and it's so easy to switch modes.

The brakes where my one complaint. I would simply switch off abs for spirited rides and turn it on for commuting and stuff.

How about a stock windshield that doesn't buffet your head to hell? Check.

Paul_E_D

Thanks folks. Test ride is in a couple of hours

P&S signed today. Red S Touring, 2010 leftover inventory still in crate. To be picked up later this next week.

Thanks to all for your comments, they seemed to be right on the money, and then the (demo) bike spoke for itself.

Awesome, where did you go for? Was out today on mine enjoying the good weather

Test road in the Wachusett resevoir and Mtn area. Was in no hurry to get back to the dealer if you know what I mean ;-) Tested all the riding modes. Urban was like a cheetah dragging a boat anchor . Rode with ABS off. Could not figure out how to enable it to test w/ it on. Only complaint is the funky control interface to the bike computer. But afterwards, went to Multistrada owner's website to watch an animation on how to disable ABS and it became clearer (although still awkward

Now to patiently count down the days til Thursday!

I need to experiment with mine I think, turning ABS off to see if general brake response is at all changed. I doubt it somehow but worth exploring.

I agree the menus can be a touch fiddly, but you do get used to it. I'd say it took me longer to get used to non-bmw turn signals in the end!

Congrats Trider. Sweet pick up.

Paul_E_D

Congrats Trider. Sweet pick up.
    Indeed! I just picked it up Plan to put some mileage on it tomorrow, and skip work.

Will miss the other two, as they treated me well, but it is time to move on with this new ride.