Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

HELP: CBR Electrical issue

HELP: CBR Electrical issue

I installed the woodcraft pressure switch to activate my break lights using the rear break. Not my idea, but I failed inspection without it. Took the bike out today and I noticed my brake light was activated the entire time. Its like they are stuck on. I unplugged the foot brake wires, and the brake light went back to a running light, but the front brake doesn't activate them now either.

I also noticed now that my turn signals don't work. The front signals are working as running lights, but when activated, they go dark and the indicator lights on the gauge cluster don't come on.

There are aftermarket signals on both the front and rear, and everything was working fine until I spliced in the foot brake wire with the woodcraft pressure switch. Even with that wire cut, things still aren't working.

Has anyone had an issue like this? Any suggestions before I tear everything appart to try and trace down a short? This is a great reason to buy another street bike and make this one a track bike...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You Sir know nothing of true greatness. I of course refer to ones ability to steal, drink and generally do nothing, and carry it off with style

Re: HELP: CBR Electrical issue

I have a woodcraft pressure switch too...but that was a simple install...two wires...I could not see this screwing up the system like that....not to insult you but are you sure you spliced the right wire?

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

Soldered each one then heat shrunk them. It worked for a bit until this, thats whats confusing. I make some dumb mistakes, but I can't imagine this being one of them.

You Sir know nothing of true greatness. I of course refer to ones ability to steal, drink and generally do nothing, and carry it off with style

The signal symptoms sound like a grounding issue to me, but thankfully it's been a while since I did any significant electrical troubleshooting.

With a two-wire switch, I assume one lead goes to either ignition-switched or constant +12V and the other gets spliced into the positive line feeding the brake light—what did you use as your +12V source?

I spliced the wires into the 2 wire factory plug, then plugged it into the main harness. All the pressure switch does is close the circuit to activate the brake light.

Quote Originally Posted by DankDirtyBird View Post
    I spliced the wires into the 2 wire factory plug, then plugged it into the main harness. All the pressure switch does is close the circuit to activate the brake light.
    Gotcha, it just shorts the front brake circuit, as applying the brake would. That's a much better idea than what I came up with.

I'm still thinking the signal issue sounds like a grounding problem. Is there any other non-factory wiring on the bike? I'm wondering if you unearthed a lurking demon or two in the process of moving wires, splicing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
    Gotcha, it just shorts the front brake circuit, as applying the brake would. That's a much better idea than what I came up with.

I'm still thinking the signal issue sounds like a grounding problem. Is there any other non-factory wiring on the bike? I'm wondering if you unearthed a lurking demon or two in the process of moving wires, splicing, etc.
    I do have aftermarket brake lights and turn signals, but those have all been working flawlessly for a few years until now. Strange that this would kill the turn signals as well. Checked the fuses and they are all fine.

You sure that the issue was not present before the pressure switch install?
    I had a nightmare two years of trying to track down a bad ground issue on my 600RR, literally ended up trying to replace everything one by one as the issue seemed to move around!

Ended up being a big "gang" ground connector between the tank and the seat on the left side. Its a big wad of electrical tape around a yellow plastic connector cover. Check that, its susceptible to moisture leakage and corrosion.

I have a thread here from a couple years ago with pics posted...
    I'll see if I can find it.

2008 Honda CBR 600RR

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Danno, How messed up, I took my bike out for a spin today and i was getting on the highway and i all of a few times so i pulled over and shut her down and restarted and it was fine for the rest of the night

the first thing I thought of was the issue that Akira and I had... I had just fixed mine and saw the thread that Akira posted with the same issue that he was experiencing for a while and he found out it was the same issue I had. there was some corrosion in a ground wire thats in a dealer maintenance plug. I am going to rip down the 600 sometime next week to go over this plug again and make sure it hasn’t started to corrode again over the last year or so. I also saw one of these Yellow ground box plugs by the fuel rails under the gas tank while I had the bike ripped down last month for maintenance. if i don't find any corrosion in the plug i fixed already I'm looking here next just to confirm. You might also have more than one of these boxes...

I also highly doubt it was the brake light switch, if you unplug it and still have the issue then it even further confirms this… I rode for a whole year with this thing unplugged and had no issues

Quote Originally Posted by akira700 View Post
    You sure that the issue was not present before the pressure switch install?
    I had a nightmare two years of trying to track down a bad ground issue on my 600RR, literally ended up trying to replace everything one by one as the issue seemed to move around!

Ended up being a big "gang" ground connector between the tank and the seat on the left side. Its a big wad of electrical tape around a yellow plastic connector cover. Check that, its susceptible to moisture leakage and corrosion.

I have a thread here from a couple years ago with pics posted...
    I'll see if I can find it.

Looks like the search begins. I'll be going through all the wiring that I've done as well as all of the ground connections on the bike. I'll post up when I get this figured out.

I had this same problem a few years ago when I installed my integrated tail light. I did a search on 600rr.net and found the answer. I'd consider checking that out. Meanwhile I'll search through what I have and see if I can find the problem, I know I logged it somewhere...

Last edited by cbr_chick_nh; 05-26-11 at 06:48 AM.
    If you ain't first......you're last!

I will expand my search to other boards as well. I just like you guys the most!

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DankDirtyBird View Post
    I will expand my search to other boards as well. I just like you guys the most!
    Let me know if you want some help buddy. it took me almost a year to find my electical issue and four eyes are better than two..

look for anything thats loose, rusted or has that white scaly stuff on it.