Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Do I need a tune or re-mapping?

Do I need a tune or re-mapping?

2014 Multistrada 1200. Bought it over the winter completely stock. Didn't do anything significant to it other than a mid pipe (deletes the cat) and an aftermarket can. Should I be running a Power Commander, Rapid Bike, or some other tuner? My last long term bike was my Triumph and I could change things around with TuneECU and a laptop, so it wasn't too much trouble to upload a new map. With the multi I'm not positive what the right move is, if I should add anything? The bike seems to run okay, there is no popping on decel or anything, but I don't have a real good way to determine how rich or lean it actually may be running. I'd rather not pull half the bike apart to periodically look at spark plugs.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by 01xj; 05-11-21 at 10:38 AM.

Re: Do I need a tune or re-mapping?

have you had anyone ride with you behind, do they reek of fuel after a few miles?

No one to ride with so I'm not sure on that end. I start it inside the bay at work snd it doesn't smell overly rich.

It would be running leaner not richer with those mods, typically. I don't have any experience with that bike. Probably better off on ducati forum. I'm sure it's been beaten to death.

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    have you had anyone ride with you behind, do they reek of fuel after a few miles?
    I can’t believe I used to pay John to dyno and tune my bike when I could have just had you follow me!

Joe you’re the best.

Adam I don’t have much to add. If it were me I’d probably leave it alone if it was just the slip on, but coupled with the cat delete I would likely bring it to someone to tune properly.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    It would be running leaner not richer with those mods, typically. I don't have any experience with that bike. Probably better off on ducati forum. I'm sure it's been beaten to death.
    It has. Since it's on the older side there's a ton of info. Filtering through the posts and topics is more of the issue.

Guess I'll try power commander first and have it tuned a dyno shop who supports them.

Hypertarded

Not sure on that year multi, but check to see if there is a Ducati OEM "race" ECU they sold with the Termignoni full system. I know for my Hyper there was a new Race ECU they sold with the exhaust to compensate for the removal of the cat., may be able to find one of those on the forums / Ebay...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just keep it stock, you damn hooligan.

Lifer

Also, look into a Rexxer tune by the dealership. It takes them a couple of days but they dial the bike properly. I think it is around $400

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

I would personally always go with an external "box" like a PowerCommander to modify fueling, because the theoretical possibility of bricking an ECU on a Ducati gives me the fear.

Not a reflection on the engineering prowess of the TuneBoy folks or anyone else, and I'm sure the internet contains well-reasoned disagreement.

Edited to add: Once you start changing any hardware that modifies AFR dynamics, I can't think of any reason (other than cost) to avoid at least attempting a remap. If I'm shopping for a used bike with swapped exhaust or airbox parts, I want to see a PowerCommander and hear about the map, even if the answer is "I picked a map that sounded close and it runs fine."

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by feralchimp; 05-12-21 at 10:07 AM.
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)