Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

V-twin crazy comes to an end

Hey did you see that cop RevHappy's Avatar

Bye, bye V-twin hype.......Inlines is where its at!

<<Snip from amasuperbike.com>>

This Just In ... 2003 AMA Superbike Rules
    by dean adams
    Tuesday, October 15, 2002
    This just in from AMA Pro Racing ...

2003 AMA U.S. Superbike Championship rules

Only approved motorcycles are permitted in AMA Superbike competition. AMA Pro Racing will accept homologation applications only from motorcycle manufacturers or their distributors.

Allowable engine displacements and basic homologation requirements:

551cc - 750cc four-stroke, four cylinders:

Engines with displacements originally within this range may have cylinder bore increased by a maximum of 2mm, with the resulting displacement not to exceed 800cc. Stroke must remain stock.

Homologation requirements will remain the same as current (2002) Superbike requirements, including street certification in an FIM member country and a minimum number of units imported into the US for sale.

551cc - 900cc four-stroke, three cylinders: 551cc - 1000cc four-stroke, twin cylinders:

Homologation requirements will remain the same as current (2002) Superbike requirements.

901cc - 1000cc four-stroke, three or more cylinders:

This is a new displacement category offered as an option beginning with the 2003 season.

Homologation requirements include street certification in the U.S. and a higher minimum number of imported units relative to current Superbike requirements.

Weight:

Minimum weight for all Superbikes will be increased to 370 pounds from the current 355 pounds.

Other major technical regulations:

Except for the items previously noted, 750cc four cylinders, 900cc three cylinders and 1000cc twin cylinders will be subject to all current (2002) Superbike technical regulations for the 2003 season.

1000cc equipment with three or more cylinders will be subject to the following major technical regulations:

Frames must be stock except for the addition of strengthening gussets and the removal or relocation of accessory brackets (same as current rules).

Aftermarket forks, shocks and swingarms will be permitted. Forks/shocks will be subject to claiming rules (same as current rules).

Aftermarket wheels (except carbon composite) will be permitted. Rear wheel maximum width is 6.25" (same as current rules).

Aftermarket brakes (except carbon composite) will be permitted (same as current rules).

Aftermarket fairings and body work will be permitted (same as current rules).

Cylinder heads may be ported and machined, but altering of valve angles will not be permitted.

Aftermarket valves, springs, retainers and other valve-train components will be permitted. Valves must be stock size and same basic material as original equipment.

Aftermarket camshafts will be permitted, but cam lift and resulting valve lift must be no greater than stock.

Stock cylinders and cases must be retained. Machining will be permitted (same as current rules).

Aftermarket pistons, rings, pins and connecting rods will be permitted (same as current rules).

Stock crankshaft must be retained. The only allowable modifications are balancing, polishing of bearing surfaces and attachment of accessory drives.

Homologated transmission gear sets (one optional set of ratios per approved model) will be permitted. Optional sets will be price-controlled and must be available to any legitimate AMA Superbike competitor.

Aftermarket, stock-type (wet type cannot be changed to dry type) clutches with back-torque limiting characteristics will be permitted.

Homologated fuel-injection throttle-body assemblies (one optional type per approved model) and aftermarket air boxes will be permitted. Modifications to throttle bodies will not be permitted. Optional throttle bodies will be price-controlled and must be available to any legitimate AMA Superbike competitor.

Aftermarket ignition systems will be permitted (same as current rules).

Charging systems and starters will not be required (same as current rules).

Aftermarket exhaust systems will be permitted (same as current rules).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

All that means is that the twins are gonna be pumping out more horsepower to keep up to par with the triples and inline fours. I don't see this as making the 'v-twin hype' go away. If anything, I think it's gonna do wonders for production twins. More HP, higher revving. Ewwwwwww......I can't wait!!!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

mmmmmmmmmm Tastey TWINS

Originally posted by Stoneman
    All that means is that the twins are gonna be pumping out more horsepower to keep up to par with the triples and inline fours. I don't see this as making the 'v-twin hype' go away. If anything, I think it's gonna do wonders for production twins. More HP, higher revving. Ewwwwwww......I can't wait!!!
    Um I have to agree with the big S. More power from stock Twins means I'll be buying a new bike in a bout 3 years maybe 4

551cc - 750cc four-stroke, four cylinders:551cc - 900cc four-stroke, three cylinders:

551cc - 1000cc four-stroke, twin cylinders

Last edited by SEVENSGT; 10-16-02 at 01:11 PM.

Oh puhleeeeeeeeez....

_______
    Sal Khan
    salk@mindspring.com

2000.5 Aprilia RSV Mille

hey Revhappy, you obviously didn't pay attention to the British SBK series this year where they ran according to 2003 Superbike rules... GSXR1k's and R1's still had their heads handed to them by Ducatis...

In the championship it was: Hislop, Rutter, Emmett ... Ducati 1,2,3

01 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille

Originally posted by SalKhan
    Oh puhleeeeeeeeez....

Hey Kahn shut up You must have the I-4 RSV HUH???