Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tying a bike down with no wheel chock

Re: Tying a bike down with no wheel chock

I'm renting a pickup truck tomorrow to pickup a bike. Dont have a wheel chock. I plan on strapping it down in all 4 corners. Now I'm thinking maybe I can put a service stand in the rear to help it stay upright. Anyone would advise against this? The bike has spool type stands.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Cat herder

No direct experience doing the thing with the paddock stand. I did recently have to put two bikes on my Harbor Freight trailer without chocks, though, so I have some insight.

I decided not to do what you're suggesting because a) I wanted to have the extra friction of the rear tire sitting on the deck to hopefully keep the bike from moving and b) I didn't want to risk damaging the stand or bike from jouncing if I hit a bump. No matter how securely you strap, some movement is going to take place and the whole stand/spool/swingarm thing has no give. Remember that the entire weight is being held by a couple of small bolts.

Was I overthinking it? Maybe.

I did strap as you suggest, all four corners tight and straps going around substantial stuff on the bike (lower triples in front, passenger pegs struts in rear). I also put a velcro tie around the front brake and put the bike in gear, so that the wheels would be locked.

Lesson learned was that I should have rigged what in sailing is called a "preventer" (a line that keeps something from moving in a direction you don't want it to) from the rear wheel to the back of the trailer. The biggest force comes from braking, and one of the bikes shifted forward.

Since you're going to be in a pickup, you don't have to worry about that... but you might want to put the front tire up against the front of the box just in case.

I will have the front tire against the front. Should I Keep the steering straight or locked to one side?

I will run a strap around the front tire too

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

High maintenance priss

Leave the wheel straight and against the bed. Front straps will (should) be pulling slightly forward and keep the bike snug against the front of the bed

No side stand, no rear stand.

Exactly as stated above, I like to put the tires in between the grooves of the bed if you know what I mean, but you probably already knew that. Cinch it up against the front of the bed by the triple, you can tie the back of the bike down with the rear foot pegs, and put another strap through the rear wheel making sure to wrap it around the tire/wheel to keep the rear wheel from moving side to side as an extra precaution.

Probably over thinking this. If the steering is straight, what keeps it from hitting a bump, the steering going left/right, the bike moving forward, and creating slack in the straps

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    Probably over thinking this. If the steering is straight, what keeps it from hitting a bump, the steering going left/right, the bike moving forward, and creating slack in the straps

Strapping the rear, pulling backward.

Or cross the front straps, left strap goes to the right fork, right strap to the left, if you can.

If you're overly paranoid, you can put pieces of wood on either side of the tire/wheel to keep it straight

Lifer

I've carried sport, dirt and super-moto machines in my pickup 50+ times now. Put some tension on those front straps and you will rarely have an issue. Straps pull the bike forward, keep pressure on the tire and that keeps the tire from shifting.

Especially with lighter bikes, two straps from the sub-frame back keep the bike from tipping forward and the strap loosening that way.

If you have a sumo or dirt bike, get one of those fork braces. Dirty bikes with their long travel are trickier to tie down. These braces are helpful for them.

If you are exceptionally paranoid about it you could put the front wheel into the corner of the bed, bike parked diagonally. I have to do this to close the tailgate on my ex-cab pickup anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

If you are exceptionally paranoid about it you could put the front wheel into the corner of the bed, bike parked diagonally. I have to do this to close the tailgate on my ex-cab pickup anyway.
    What is your tie down technique for this approach? I've got a Tiger I'd like to tie sideways in my truck but I'm not real sure on how to place the straps.

Jeff

Lifer

1) Roll motorcycle into bed
    2) Jam front wheel into corner
    3) Tie motorcycle down

My Silverado has at least a dozen tie-downs around the perimeter. I added a bunch of these bull-ring things, plus there are a couple hooks welded into the corners. Just get creative.

I mostly just nose in and chinch the tailgate half closed with another strap. Rarely have issues. Ask Joel about the bump we hit on our way to WV last year approaching the tappan zee. If that didn't lose a bike, not sure what will.

I can say I've been tempted to nose the bike in straight, tie-down from the triples or handlebars, and then pivot the rear of the bike sideways so I can close the tailgate. That worked poorly for me and I wasn't even willing to drive it that way. In my experience the wheel needs to be straight relative to the bike to be stable.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    What is your tie down technique for this approach? I've got a Tiger I'd like to tie sideways in my truck but I'm not real sure on how to place the straps.
    Using the compressed front suspension to pull against the straps helps with keeping the bike secure. (lots of evidence that this doesn't hurt the suspension) The bed of the truck usually has U channels that you put the middle of the front tire so with load it wants to seat down in the U. With just two straps I can sit on my bike and rock it side to side and the whole truck will roll with the bike. It's pretty secure at that point and further straps are redundant in case of a strap failure or accident that will hold the bike in place. To keep a bike from pivoting you can take a 2x4 and cut to size so that it holds the wheel from turning behind the axle on the floor. |_____[]_____|

If you plan on motorcycling the rest of your life BUY a Condor Wheel Chock. Condor Pit Stop Trailer-Stop
    You can usually find one of these at the local Harley Dealer in stock. Yes it will have an HD logo on it but its the same thing at the same price. I use this all the time in the garage and in the driveway just to hold a bike upright while I clean it or do light maintenance if you have no room for a shop table. I have locked the front wheel in and strapped it and lifted the rear with a jack. It's a great mobile chock that you can use in a Van, truck or trailer. I use it in my Toy hauler holding my H-D touring many times and have not had any movement even with crazy brakes and avoidance. I don't even lock it down on the floor. I use a rubber mat to keep it from sliding on my metal floor. But with straps and weight it stays put. It's a great product and it will last a lifetime.

Last edited by ducatirdr; 09-18-18 at 08:33 AM.
    Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    (lots of evidence that this doesn't hurt the suspension)
    Careful making that particular claim... I've recently been educated on this topic.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

This video found via the google search method shows how to tie a bike in diagonally in the bed of a ridgeline. There are numerous other videos, pictures and articles on how to tie a bike down there as well.

YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Careful making that particular claim... I've recently been educated on this topic.
    Do tell................

Last edited by tls25rs; 09-18-18 at 08:36 AM.

I need to put the front tire in the front corner of the bed so I'll be able to shut the tailgate.

Jeff

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    I need to put the front tire in the front corner of the bed so I'll be able to shut the tailgate.
    Why do you need to shut the tailgate? Some people will put the bike straight in and then loop the cable that holds the tailgate level up and over the latching pin of the tailgate to allow the bike to be straight in the bed and still keep things like ramps and gear bags etc. in the bed. Also provides clearance for trailer jacks if you are trying to tow a trailer with a bike in the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post

I hear you but it is usually issues with scratched sliders and other issues that causes that damage when you compress those flaws into the seals. A healthy suspension shouldn't be damaged. They ship $80K bikes the same way I describe...

I use a bed extender rather than shut the tailgate. Having a bike inline with acceleration and braking forces seems to make more sense to me. I tied my gear in place rather than close the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    This video found via the google search method shows how to tie a bike in diagonally in the bed of a ridgeline. There are numerous other videos, pictures and articles on how to tie a bike down there as well.

YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Do tell................
    That's the first time I have seen that style of tie down in the corner. Looks great actually. I guess there are more ways to skin that cat...

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    I hear you but it is usually issues with scratched sliders and other issues that causes that damage when you compress those flaws into the seals. A healthy suspension shouldn't be damaged. They ship $80K bikes the same way I describe...
    Short form - That method of tying down can induce twists and bends in the forks, clamps, axles, etc. I'm not saying you're going to go out to your truck and find one fork leg snapped to the side, the other in an 'L' configuration, with seals exploded like popcorn but you can induce measurable bends in many components. Weather or not you notice the bends (including chassis that are tweaked, literally 'right out of the crate') is a different discussion. (I rode a dirt bike with 5+ degrees of twist in the frame at the steering neck along with a significant offset there, never noticed till it was on the stand and PK asked if I had my eyes checked recently... I'm slow.) Part of this stems from people being WAY too aggressive with straps, part of it is shock loading, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12