Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Uh oh, another thread on gear (Need suggestions/opinions for newb gear)

Originally posted by GonePhishing
    Regarding gear, as a new I was in a similar boat. I had just put down a decent chunk of change on buying my bike, and hadn't fully expected gear to be so expensive.
    I know what I'm in for... I just want to do it the most 'efficient' way possible, if you will.

During my msf class, no one was wearing gear per se. Helmets and gloves, and long sleeve shirts / hooded sweatshirts. So I wouldn't say you need to go out and buy a jacket pre- msf class.
    Right, I figured as much... but it wouldn't hurt, since I'll need the stuff afterwards anyways.

I just checked and there are still 9 spots open in the class... which means currently, there's only 3 people. Should be interesting to see if it picks up or not (still plenty time).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Originally posted by hqp921

(How funny would it be to show up for the MSF in race leathers... who wants to let me borrow some? )

For the ERC I did.

One point about Tex vs leather, the last couple of years I've had leather. I can now ride more months of the year since wind doesn't blow through leather.

Some have talked about textile and their blah blah "wind proof" liners blah. RUBBISH! I've had textile jackets with those kinda of features before.

I'm sealed up alot better for the colder months in leather and I'm really comfortable now. So far I've ridden every month of 2006.

As far as the hot months? Quit your cryin' and ride. It really hot for what 3 weeks a year in the dead of summer? Oh PUH-lease!!!

TL1000R --- For those who like to drive high speed tanks

I have one of each: textile, leather, and mesh jackets. I think my textile is warmer in the winter vs. the leather. Wind doesn't blow through it at all, and I've ridden in the pouring rain and the inside stays 100% dry. Plus it has armor in the shoulders and elbows. On the other hand, it's no cooler in the summer than my leather.

"It is important never to forget where u all came from — becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place — de punani."
    -Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Just gets more interesting in here.

Perforated leather? Vented textile?

It just gets more fun for me, doesn't it?

i am hoping to get a nice perf'd leather jacket with a liner...then have MsHap wire it for heat for the colder months.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Nah, keep it simple.

Leather = best protection, more $$.
    Textile = decent protection, less $$.

Is it worth the extra cost for leather to you? That's all. Figure out your budget, then put together possible outfits online before hitting the dealers and/or making final purchasing decisions.

You could always buy a cheap rain suit to throw over your leather, too.

"It is important never to forget where u all came from — becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place — de punani."
    -Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

I've also got 3 jacket... mesh, textile, and leather.

I'd have to say the textile is my favorite and gets worn the most.

Get whatever you'll wear the most. The best leather jacket won't do any good if it's in the closet because it's too warm to wear it.

Back to my post about riding gear and starting to learn with it. If you plan on getting moto specific boots eventually... get them now. I still feel awkward wearing them... shifting is more difficult for me and I wish I had never gotten into the bad habit of casual boots.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Everybody to the limit!

SBT Deb wrote on August15th, 2006 09:47 AM
    I am not trying to ba an asshole here but after talking with Jerry wood, Snell and HJC NONE of the HJC Helmets are race approved. HJC has said they do not reccommend anyone to wear their helmets in competition. They have one Helmet that is carbon Kevlar weave and has part of the shell made of fiber glass, that back to be exact. Snell has openly stated and reported to Road racing world they have never snell approved an HJC and as of about 2 months ago were looking into how the stickers made it on the helmet. That Carbon Helmet can be bought for $989.00.
    I'm not trying to be an asshole here either, but can anyone count the number of false statements in the private message above? I can count at least 5 serious ones. Bigred, you wanna take this ball and run with it?

Ok, maybe I am trying to be an asshole here. It's an election year, what can you do

Seriously tho Deb, you seem nice and helpful enough but holy fuck do you need to get your facts in order.

Let's not turn this into another stupid helmet debate.

The poster of this thread isn't looking for a helmet to take to the race track, so it doesn't matter.

-Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    I'm not trying to be an asshole here either, but can anyone count the number of false statements in the private message above? I can count at least 5 serious ones. Bigred, you wanna take this ball and run with it?

Ok, maybe I am trying to be an asshole here. It's an election year, what can you do

Seriously tho Deb, you seem nice and helpful enough but holy fuck do you need to get your facts in order.
    heh..nope...but i really want to..lol

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Everybody to the limit!

Fine, I frickin do it myself, bigred you big baby

NONE of the HJC Helmets are race approved
    Wrong, the AC series has always been and continues to be aproved for racing at loudon and every other track in the country. The CS series is not SNELL approved and therefore has never been allowed at loudon. The CL series is SNELL approved but has a plastic shell and so has recently been banned for use at loudon. I believe that it is still allowed at all other tracks in the country, but I'm not certain of this so feel free to correct me if you have information to the contrary.
    HJC has said they do not reccommend anyone to wear their helmets in competition.
    Wrong. Jason Pridmore, Ben Spies, and Aaron Yates all wear out of the box AC-12 helmets. Pridmore's helmet has the carbon shell, Yates and Spies both wear traditional AC-12s with the fiberglass shell.

They have one Helmet that is carbon Kevlar weave and has part of the shell made of fiber glass, that back to be exact.
    I believe this may actually be fact, the AC-12 "carbon" model's shell is a carbon kevlar weave, the standard AC-12 is fiberglass.

Snell has openly stated and reported to Road racing world they have never snell approved an HJC and as of about 2 months ago were looking into how the stickers made it on the helmet.
    Wrong, not to mention outright slander against HJC. Take a look at the snell website under "certified helmets", you'll see plenty of HJC helmts.
    That Carbon Helmet can be bought for $989.00.
    Wrong, the carbon helmet can be found most anywhere for under $400. Including, say, here just to pick one.

here we go!!

TL1000R --- For those who like to drive high speed tanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12