Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Got me a UJM

Re: Got me a UJM

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Do they recommend rotella ?!?
    Mine loves the stuff!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tas View Post
    BassCliff has some great tutorials.

I’m Tas850g on that site. It’s one of my daily stops to see what’s going on there.

Attachment 50735
    Yes, that's where I found the CV carb tutorial "BikeCliff's Website" -- truly a wealth of information.

Oil thread part of this thread: I'm planning to use the 10w-50 syn that I use in my other bikes.

There was a nice blue GS850G on FB marketplace in VT that I was looking at, spoke with the seller, then the GS1000G came up close to home. Just checked FB -- the 850 is still posted, nice blue bike with classic Bates bags. Search FB Marketplace if you're interested "Suzuki GS850G" -- should come up, in Pawlet VT. Seller said it had sat many years, then last year he had it serviced and all checked out. 10K miles, $1950.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I have a hankering for a uim.
    In the form of a v7.
    I don’t know why, I just want it.
    Same here, I've been looking at the V7 III Special, black with green highlights ... very nice.

For my next Guzzi, I'll go to
    AJ Cycles BMW MOTOGUZZI

Last edited by whynot; 04-12-19 at 08:53 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    If she has to air out the FRONT of her bottoms, I don't want any of that portfolio.
    I was wondering what she dropped in there. Acorns? Quarters? ???

Paul_E_D

I’ve got a rear wheel with Cush hub for an 83 GS750ES (I believe) kicking around if anyone wants it.

Last edited by MattR302; 04-12-19 at 09:46 AM.

That '79 sure looks gooooood. Almost too good. Nice to see someone kept it in good shape.

I'm gonna throw the battery in mine this weekend although the weather doesn't look great for Sunday.

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Quote Originally Posted by Tas View Post
    That '79 sure looks gooooood. Almost too good. Nice to see someone kept it in good shape.

I'm gonna throw the battery in mine this weekend although the weather doesn't look great for Sunday.
    Check out the FB listing of that GS850G, more pics, including with a Vetter fairing installed (but off now). Story goes like this: the seller told me that the bike is his father's and that he (the son, the seller) also had an identical bike that he sold last year, and finally his father gave in and said OK, sell it ... after letting it sit for 20 years. So he had it serviced last year and rode it I think he said 30 miles, and everything works.

I got sidetracked from working on my GS, the Ohlins on my '05 Multistrada (vintage bike) started leaking, so I pulled the legs off and drove them up do Moultonborough for seals, got the bike back together yesterday. Probably next week I'll get into freeing up the front brakes on the GS.

Last edited by whynot; 04-15-19 at 07:26 AM.

Inherited this little thing this morning from my father in law. Came to this country from Portugal around 1980, bought this new not realizing we had winters, put 615 miles on it, and parked it for the next 38 years. Should be a fun project. Chrome and aluminium both need some love but overall it's pretty clean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got me a UJM-20190414_112438-jpg  

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Currently riding the modern incarnation of the UJMAttachment 50726
    Looks so great in red.

How do you like it?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    Looks so great in red.

How do you like it?
    I love it, lots of trips planned for the summer and it’s perfect for that 1 hour cruise after work.

It has enough power and handles well. I only wish Honda had gone with the tubeless spoked wheels.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

So I did a little work on the '80 GS1000G ... cleaned it up, freed up the brakes, pulled the plugs, oiled the cylinders, and cranked it to check spark -- all good. Took the tank off and drained it -- clean as a whistle. The PO and friend had done some carb work, I think had them off and apart, I tried the easy thing first, with the tank off, I removed the mixture screws and found them missing the o-rings on three of the four. I removed the float drains, blasted carb cleaner, brake cleaner, and air through the holes over a couple of days, then reassembled with new parts from carb kits -- in this order: screws, springs, tiny flat washer, tiny o-ring. Tank back on, add fresh gas, leaking from the petcock mounting screws. Scrounged around for good sealing washers, and sealed the threads with Loctite 592 Thread Sealant -- leak fixed. Checked the air box for mice etc. -- all clear. Full choke, the bike started immediately, but not so smooth. Warmed it up, varying the choke, would not run off choke. So, I did not get lucky.

And now, decision time. Take the carbs off and apart DIY. Or bring it to someone like Nova MC. Or let it go ... .

Wait, all that, and at this point it just sounds like the pilots are off and 'let it go' is an option?!

Well, yeah, always an option, everything is for sale! That way I could get something new and different.

The running on choke was very erratic, not your normal choke (enrichener) running. I did start with the screws set 2.5 turns out per GS forum advice. Given the mistakes they made on the idle screws, I'm confident that other internal carb parts are screwed up, and the carb bodies will benefit from ultrasonic cleaning. Here's the excellent CV carb tutorial I'd follow:
    http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...d_Tutorial.pdf

And might be worth trying brand new B8ES -- I think I have some -- the plugs in there now are "new" from last year.

Thinking out loud ...

Last edited by whynot; 05-17-19 at 01:29 PM.

Carbs could be way out of balance too if the po was playing with it and didn't know what they were doing. Give it the full Monty and return all the adjustments to factory spec.

Quote Originally Posted by b0xmonkey View Post
    Carbs could be way out of balance too if the po was playing with it and didn't know what they were doing. Give it the full Monty and return all the adjustments to factory spec.
    Yes, that's the way to go, I've been postponing the inevitable. That link I posted to a carb tutorial -- couldn't be any clearer. I've got a small HF ultrasonic cleaner, so just a matter of focus now. Something for these rainy days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12