Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

An update on lane splitting in MA

An update on lane splitting in MA

Hi everyone.

So I had a lovely chat with my state representative about lane splitting. The salient points are:

• Bill SD22.48 was DOA because of senate rules and timing (the bill was submitted way too late in the legislative session)
    • Every bill that gets submitted during the filing period, which is a week or so long and starts in early January, is guaranteed a public hearing.
    • Petition bills filed "by request" almost never go anywhere. However, if a real bill is filed there's a decent chance it could get some legs.
    • The big key to having a bill go somewhere is lobbying support and industry support. The Massachusetts Motorcycle Association will handle the lobbying side if we can convince them to (more on that in a bit). The industry support will happen if we apply enough pressure. The areas to target will be local powersports dealerships who probably have some sort of trade group they use for lobbying as well as online motorcycle gear retailers. Both of these groups have a vested interest in putting more people on bikes in MA, but they won't know we're pushing for lane splitting unless people start calling.

Now before I get to what you all can do to help, let me clear up a few points about lane splitting in MA:

• Since 2011, several studies have come out indicating that lane splitting is actually safer than sitting in traffic. For more information on these studies, head over to Lane Splitting is Legal in California
    • While we love to complain about MA drivers, it's worth noting that we actually have the 11th best drivers in the country according to this recent article.

So what can we do to get lane splitting legalized?

• Get in touch with the MMA's legislative director to let him know you're interested in lane splitting. It hasn't been one of their priorities for a few years but he's open to putting it on the platform if enough people express interest. This brings me to my next point...
    • Go to the MMA's legislative direction meeting in October and tell them you're interested in lane splitting. You don't have to be a member to go to the meeting. The MMA can only work on so many issues at a time so if not enough people go to this it's just going to be another 2 years of them crying over the helmet law.
    • Use the "Find a legislator" tool on the MA state house website to figure out who your representatives are. Send them an email. Follow up with another email as it gets closer to October. You can also schedule a meeting with them by calling their office. If you do schedule a meeting, make sure to bring some statistics with you to show how lane splitting is safer and how it reduces traffic and greenhouse gas emissions.
    • There's a list of studies about how lane splitting is safer, faster, and better for the environment at Lane Splitting is Legal in California that you can cite in your email or meeting. You can also note that the accident that was in the news just a few weeks ago (The one where a moped got run over by a duckboat) could have been completely avoided if lane splitting was legal.
    • Call your local powersports dealerships and try to get their support for a bill. They're probably part of some sort of larger lobbying group that represents powersports dealerships and if they get enough interest they might be persuaded to support a bill. Ask to talk to the owner and remember to be polite and sincere
    • Call your favorite online retailer and try to get their support for a bill. They also may be part of a larger lobbying group.
    • Call every motorcyclist you know and tell them to do all the things on this list.

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: An update on lane splitting in MA

I'm 100% in favor if y'all can get this done. I hardly ever have a need to lanesplit in NH, but when I go to MA, it's often relevant.

PhilB

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17