Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgraded the exhaust on my GSXR today to a GSXR 1000 Titanium setup- PICS INSIDE

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Upgraded the exhaust on my GSXR today to a GSXR 1000 Titanium setup- PICS INSIDE

I have been wanting to upgrade my stock exhaust on my 01 GSXR 750 for some time. I finally got around to doing it. I picked both midpipe and header off ebay for $200 shipped. They are from a donor 2004 GSXR 1000. Their condition is both about 98% as new.

I also got new gaskets and header bolts from a local dealership. I had read that you needed to wrap the headers to avoid warping the fairings but also heard you could just cut the fairings where they hit the pipes- I wanted the Ti headers to be visible so I opted to go the second option. It took me about 4 hours total, taking my time to pull the radiator, bolting and lining up everything and doing an oil change since I had the fairings off. Then I cut down my Yoshi pipe which took me an additional 2 hours with a very dull hacksaw blade and about 10 Dremel cut-off wheels. I am happy with the outcome. I love the rainbow look of the midpipe I still have to rivet one side of the can but it is pressed in very well and isnt coming out anytime soon. It was my first time at shortening a pipe. It sounds SWEET! Cant wait to bring it back on the track next year..

Here it is before:

And after:

This photo shows what I needed to do to make it fit without cooking the fairings. The green arrows are where I had to cut the fairings and the black arrows show where I had to shim the bolts slightly to aid in providing clearance. I took it for a short ride today to see how it sounded and let it idle for a while to see if it rubbed anywhere- I am good, no issues.

What I have concluded is that you dont need to put any heat wrap or extra heat-blocking tape on the headers or fairings which is commonly preached on GSXR forums. It just takes a steady hand with a dremel and some patience fitting everything. I think the weight savings is about 10 pounds but it looks WAY better then the straight, black pipe to the muffler and the flat black headers were really boring.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Upgraded the exhaust on my GSXR today to a GSXR 1000 Titanium setup- PICS INSIDE

i have my stock from my 06 1000 if you interested

Re: Upgraded the exhaust on my GSXR today to a GSXR 1000 Titanium setup- PICS INSIDE

Looks good, and I'll bet it sounds better too!

Looks good. Don't discount the need to wrap that header though. Once you build some heat in that pipe you'll find out for sure.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

its weird that your headers were black. i dont think my girlfriends are, and i replaced those after a crash with stock

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Wow. What a work of art Mike. You know, I have to say: your bike is one of the cleanest well taken care bikes I've seem first hand.

Kudos to your Mike!!

Performance difference? Should have cut down the Yoshi and put the $200 to a new rear shock!!

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Performance difference? Should have cut down the Yoshi and put the $200 to a new rear shock!!
    That is the Yoshi pipe that I have always had........

Quote Originally Posted by Lxpony View Post
    That is the Yoshi pipe that I have always had........
    Thats what I am saying, you should have cut it down and saved the cash. I could have done it for you, I have a chainsaw!!

Thats what I am saying, you should have cut it down and saved the cash. I could have done it for you, I have a chainsaw!!

Why Lie? It Was Me.... HO-HUM-R1's Avatar

nice work, looks a lot better!

2006 Yamaha R1, Graves Full Exhaust, BST Carbon Fiber Wheels, K&N Air Filter, EGR Blockoffs, Factory Pro Velocity Stacks, Power Commander 5, Stealth 520 Conversion -1/+1, FP levers, Ohlins shock, Ohlins fg327 forks, Ohlins steering damper, Sato racing rearsets, Goodridge SS shadow brakelines, EBC Extreme pads, Braking SK wave rotors F&R. few other appearance mods.

Excuse me Mr. Monty Python..... HE DID CUT IT DOWN AND SAVED THE CASH. (did you see all those capital letters there? Thats me YELLING at you)

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Excuse me Mr. Monty Python..... HE DID CUT IT DOWN AND SAVED THE CASH. (did you see all those capital letters there? Thats me YELLING at you)
    Guess I must have aggravated you, either that or you just like to shout!

So as I understand, Mike spent $200 on the 1000 pipe then mated the Yoshi silencer he already had to the 1000 headers?
    If so, why not cut down the can and save $200?? That was my point. From my understanding of exhausts, there will be liitle to no preformance gain adding the 1000 header so the result is purely asthetic
    Not bashing, Mike, he is a friend of mine, merely asking a question.

Guess I must have aggravated you, either that or you just like to shout!

So as I understand, Mike spent $200 on the 1000 pipe then mated the Yoshi silencer he already had to the 1000 headers?
    If so, why not cut down the can and save $200?? That was my point. From my understanding of exhausts, there will be liitle to no preformance gain adding the 1000 header so the result is purely asthetic
    Not bashing, Mike, he is a friend of mine, merely asking a question.
    Neal- I understand your point now... I agree, I did it mostly for aesthetic reasons since the flat black pipes were boring but the difference in weight was about 10 pounds so there is some value there. I like to modify and improve stuff so the stock exhaust was on my wish-list for some time.

Nice job Mike!

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

$200 for -10lbs, that a good deal

Looks sick, but I woulda just choped the yosh down..... but it does loook much better

Updated pics- I cut the original Yoshi emblem and drilled and riveted it the pipe- came out good.

Last edited by Lxpony; 11-15-11 at 07:11 PM.

Dr Q : Last resort Medic Qfactor's Avatar

I think it makes the bike look a lot more modern.

As a side note:

May I suggest having the subframe painted (coated) black to make it less visible? it would lighten the rear of the bike some....

Cheers

Q

"Ami blaireau, comme t'es nul au cronos..."

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."

Quote Originally Posted by Qfactor View Post
    I think it makes the bike look a lot more modern.

As a side note:

May I suggest having the subframe painted (coated) black to make it less visible? it would lighten the rear of the bike some....

Cheers

Q
    Good suggestion.... and a new rear shock!!

Looks even better with the Yosh emblem!
    On a side note, and I don't know if anyone has mentoned this yet, but have you looked into getting a new rear shock?

LOL J/K!!!
    Really though, I finally broke down and got one myself!

Looks pretty good Mike, I like it.

How about that shock? Did you ever think of replacing it?

Looks good man.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Working on that guys...geesh... Just dropped $600.00 on a new Shoei X12 that I totally didnt need. The rear shock is gonna be a spring 2012 purchase.

Last edited by Lxpony; 11-16-11 at 07:56 PM.

I think maybe you should have bought a track membership before you bought that helmet. You just bought a brand new shoe less than 6 months ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast