Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Upgrading and Tuning Daytona 675R?

Upgrading and Tuning Daytona 675R?

About to install an Akropovic full exhaust on my 14 Daytona 675R. I only ride street currently, but might also do some track days in the future.

1. Any recommendations for good dyno tuning shops in the MA area?
    2. I plan to order a Power Commander V, unless there's good reason to go with the Bazzaz or other?
    3. Will getting the Triumph Arrow full exhaust map help (other than eliminating the CEL)? I've heard it's a good baseline map to start with if getting a custom tune. If the Triumph map and the PCV are good enough for the bike to run safely and improve performance, I might postpone a custom dyno tune but I'm thinking just do it all at once to get the most out of these upgrades.
    4. Contemplating also adding a BMC or MWR race filter and maybe Venturi System velocity stacks. Thoughts on whether they're worth it?
    5. Bike's at 19k miles now and I plan to check valve clearances since the exhaust were right near lower limit when I checked at 12k. If I decide to get a custom tune, should I wait to shim valves first?
    6. Should I also be getting SAI block off plates (or block tubes myself)? The stock exhaust sounds awesome on decel with some light "popping" for lack of a better word, but I'm wondering if it'll pop badly with the full exhaust and without the SAI blocked off? Had an SV650 with M4 slip-on before and I had to block off because the popping didn't sound good at all.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by stanga5o; 11-12-20 at 02:51 PM.

Re: Upgrading and Tuning Daytona 675R?

Just talked with DAS Performance in Dracut. Is $400 about right? Anyone used them before?

Also tried Power Performance Customs in Peabody but they only do Harleys.

Souhegan motorsports in NH. I would suggest them. They do alot of tuning for most of us lrrs guys

Check the valves, do the filter and the sai block offs. Not worth the velocity stacks for where you are

Quote Originally Posted by Mgiossi View Post
    Souhegan motorsports in NH. I would suggest them. They do alot of tuning for most of us lrrs guys
    Looks like they're only a little over an hour from me so that's a great option, thanks.

Check the valves, do the filter and the sai block offs. Not worth the velocity stacks for where you are
    Are aftermarket velocity stacks better for different elevation? I haven't researched them too much, but I was hearing for Daytonas they could add a couple HP and lb-ft for a few hundred $. Also wondered if they'd play nice with the new exhaust and filter.

Well, I can't seem to get through to Souhegan Motorsports. The phone doesn't even ring. Hmmm..

Sounds like a great place to do business with. Guess I need to look at other options, though.

What's a fair price for a good dyno tune? I'm not looking for the cheapest place, but I've never had one done before so looking for some input.
    And what about just a dyno run without tuning? I'd like to get a baseline run before all the upgrades and tune.

so does DAS Performance

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stanga5o View Post
    What's a fair price for a good dyno tune?
    $300

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

The first gen Daytona's could be tuned with tuneECU. Did this change?

Dyno solutions was the place to go for a tune using tuneECU - they still around? This would bypass the need for a power commander or bazzaz.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    The first gen Daytona's could be tuned with tuneECU. Did this change?

Dyno solutions was the place to go for a tune using tuneECU - they still around? This would bypass the need for a power commander or bazzaz.
    Pretty sure TuneECU doesn’t work for ‘13+.

John at Dyno Solutions also retired/closed shop a little while back.

High maintenance priss

Quote Originally Posted by petro View Post
    Pretty sure TuneECU doesn’t work for ‘13+.
    TuneECU does work on 13+ D675 but in a more limited sense than the first two gens. I think you can only push maps, not read them back out. You need to use the Android app and a BT OBD2 unit (I use the OBDLink MX+).

Compatibility list (the entry for D675 VIN ending in 564948+ is the 2013+): https://www.tuneecu.net/TuneECU_Andr...id_Version.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    TuneECU does work on 13+ D675 but in a more limited sense than the first two gens. I think you can only push maps, not read them back out. You need to use the Android app and a BT OBD2 unit (I use the OBDLink MX+).

Compatibility list (the entry for D675 VIN ending in 564948+ is the 2013+): https://www.tuneecu.net/TuneECU_Andr...id_Version.pdf
    Yea just saw TuneECU is now available for the 13+ gen!! I decided to get a PCV and custom tune since I figured it'd get the best results. But it's still on the table and I might get it if I think the other features are worth it.

You have a Daytona?

High maintenance priss

Quote Originally Posted by stanga5o View Post
    Yea just saw TuneECU is now available for the 13+ gen!! I decided to get a PCV and custom tune since I figured it'd get the best results. But it's still on the table and I might get it if I think the other features are worth it.

You have a Daytona?
    Yes sir!

Upgrading and Tuning Daytona 675R?-2019_7-13_ttd_palmer_blkgp060-zf-8069-41109-a

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    Yes sir!
    Upgrading and Tuning Daytona 675R?-2019_7-13_ttd_palmer_blkgp060-zf-8069-41109-a
    Nice!

I connected with Souhegan, but they won't dyno tune my bike because it's not a race bike. I asked why and he said it was because of "the emissions stuff". Regardless, they aren't booking new appointments until next spring so that doesn't help me anyway.

Now I need to start thinking about my backup plan.. Maybe I'll use the Triumph full exhaust map, PCV map, TuneECU, etc. in the meantime to keep the engine safe until I can get it custom tuned.

Now I'm wondering if I should even get the BMC race filter or their standard filter. I don't ride in dusty conditions, rain, etc. if I can help it, but we do have pollen season obviously and sometimes you just get stuck on a road under construction, storm, etc.. Standard is supposed to flow 18% more than stock and race 35%. Should I go with either of those or stay with stock?

How specific is the map to the filter? If I got a custom tune with the race filter, would it just run a bit rich if I went with a lower flowing filter?