Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

USAA not writing Motorcycle insurance next year

USAA not writing Motorcycle insurance next year

Took my bike off the road at the beginning of December. Called them a few weeks ago and they informed me that they will no longer be writing motorcycle policies - not sure if in MA, or everywhere.

I've had USAA since 1981 when it was military officer only. Until a few years ago we had our cars, bike, boats, and house with them. Then they stopped writing boat policies. Now bikes. I may have to try and find another provider.

If I was just switching the bikes, who should I talk to? Insurance is expensive in Boston but I don't have any claims, don't have very theft-worthy bikes, I'm old, and I never use all the power.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: USAA not writing Motorcycle insurance next year

They stopped as there Bike Insurance is a little more than others and they were loosing customers due to it. This has actually been an ongoing thing for a few years now.. (Google search).

I liked it as all my insurance was with one provider, from what I am told, if you bitch hard enough they will assign you a new insurance policy for a bike.

Yup they are a lot more expensive..I use USAA for vehicles and progressive for motorcycles

Tiger Rider

I have USAA. My Tiger is grandfathered. When I went to insure my DR650 they sent me over to Progressive. Got a great price compared to just trying to insure it directly with Progressive. They have a separate phone # just for USAA members.

Same here. Have everything under usaa but the bike was going to cost hundreds more and its just a standard, not a sport bike. Ended up at allstate but I think I need to start shopping again. USAA has been awesome with regard to customer service.

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."

Quote Originally Posted by DaSarge View Post
    Yup they are a lot more expensive..I use USAA for vehicles and progressive for motorcycles
    for progressive

Quote Originally Posted by matts1050 View Post
    I have USAA. My Tiger is grandfathered. When I went to insure my DR650 they sent me over to Progressive. Got a great price compared to just trying to insure it directly with Progressive. They have a separate phone # just for USAA members.
    Great!

Ya be careful. Progressive is great for the first 6 mo or year depending then expect massive rate hikes with no reason for it other than 'rates went up".

I went big with progressive when they came to mass and have since switched all my stuff away from them as the rates balloon after the initial period. Its the way they do it, bring you in low low low and then raise it and hope you stay.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Its the way they do it, bring you in low low low and then raise it and hope you stay.
    And if that doesn't work, they bring in Flo.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Lifer

Didn't read the entire thread, but I saw a couple posts pointing towards Progressive. I'm pretty sure USAA has some contract with Progressive for motorcycle insurance. I still haven't switched my bike to USAA from Safety Insurance, I'm trying ride this dirt cheap insurance wave out for as long as I can before some official in Massachusetts realizes something's fishy...

USAA's coverage for some things depends on the states. They haven't written new motorcycle policies in VT for over 5 years now. Every year it seems like they get another company to write for them, but it has always been more expensive than what I can get otherwise. I've been with statefarm for 3 years now and haven't been able to find anyone else cheaper for me.

I still use their insurance for my truck through. I've had them for 8 years now and they have been phenomenal. Plus the extra kick once year for the Subscribers account, pays a little over a full months payment for me.

I found their homeowner's policies were nearly twice what other companies were quoting me a few months ago. They were saying around $850 a year for my house, and when I shopped through a local brokerage company (Hickok and Boardman), I ended up with a Policy through Maine Mutual for around $460 and the same coverage.

I've got MC insurance in VT through Dairyland. They're the cheapest I could find out of anyone.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Guess I can't complain.

Yearly rate last year from USAA: $1,286.

Yearly rate from Progressive: $188.

And they emailed me the docs.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-04-11 at 03:03 PM.

Same thing happened to me with USAA. I called to put my bike back on the road and they refered me to Progressive. I bitched and moaned because my truck is also insured by USAA and they had nothing to say except they are working with progressive now for motorcycles. I can't really complain about Progressive rates though.

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Ya be careful. Progressive is great for the first 6 mo or year depending then expect massive rate hikes with no reason for it other than 'rates went up".
    They did the same thing with my Auto policy with no new violations. The random increase was like $150/6 mo, but because of my driving record they are still the cheapest i can find. I'll have more options next time around.