Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Anyone using Lithium Iron Battery?

Lifer

Re: Anyone using Lithium Iron Battery?

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Is anyone using the BMSO1 charger for their Shorai? I just put one in the bike today. I'm so used to running everything on a trickle charger I can't get past not having a charger standing by for those cold weather snaps where the bike isn't moving for a month or more.
    I use an Optimate lithium charger on one of the bikes that has a lithium battery (WPS, not Shoari). I do think some of the bikes have a parasitic drain so don't want to risk it. I have something like this
    https://www.amazon.com/OptiMATE-Lith...351510&sr=8-14

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Any parasitic drain on them? Alarm systems or clocks?
    No, mostly track/dirt bikes.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    I use an Optimate lithium charger on one of the bikes that has a lithium battery (WPS, not Shoari). I do think some of the bikes have a parasitic drain so don't want to risk it. I have something like this
    https://www.amazon.com/OptiMATE-Lith...351510&sr=8-14
    Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for. A little cheaper than the shorai and easier to use.

is anybody not storing, but riding in cold weather, how well do these batteries work in zero degree weather for cold starts ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    is anybody not storing, but riding in cold weather, how well do these batteries work in zero degree weather for cold starts ?
    I use it on my ice bike. It depends. I'm successful because I store the bike in heated garage (above freezing). What I do is start the bike at home and let it warm up before I load up. The bike obviously is cold by the time I get to the ice, but it is not cold SOAKED like it would be if stored outside.

At my previous house I did store it outside, and I had to work to get it to start in temps below 15 degrees. The trick is to run the headlights or other electronics for 5 minutes or more to get the batteries internal temp up a bit before trying to crank the motor. With the thick oil I sometime do a bump start and crank routine. It might not be convenient for commuting, but I always get it started.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I use it on my ice bike. It depends. I'm successful because I store the bike in heated garage (above freezing). What I do is start the bike at home and let it warm up before I load up. The bike obviously is cold by the time I get to the ice, but it is not cold SOAKED like it would be if stored outside.

At my previous house I did store it outside, and I had to work to get it to start in temps below 15 degrees. The trick is to run the headlights or other electronics for 5 minutes or more to get the batteries internal temp up a bit before trying to crank the motor. With the thick oil I sometime do a bump start and crank routine. It might not be convenient for commuting, but I always get it started.
    your basically telling me, I'm better off sticking with a good Yuasa AGM

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I've been reading the same as Paul mentioned, about running something with some battery drain before starting it to get the internal cells warmed up. Shorai states that in their FAQ as well. Might be beating a dead horse here, but a divergence from the traditional sealed battery is new to me so I'm in full research mode lately.

I still use AGM for cold weather stuff like snowmobiles, backup generator etc.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

OP checking in ... per my previous posts, I went with a Shorai on my Duc 900SS for the weight savings alone.

Re. AGM batteries -- the Yuasa AGM in my 2012 Hyper 796 is the original battery -- still good after 8+ years and 26K miles. Quality doesn't cost, it pays!

And don't believe everything you think.

I've got an antigravity battery in my 1290 right now. Looks like we're gonna see how well it works in cold weather this week.

FWIW the last time I decided to try the "leave the lights on for 5 min" trick with this battery, it shut itself off after ~2 min. I had to hit the restart button on it. It did fire right up afterwards, though.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Rode in this morning.

The lithium did NOT want to turn my bike over. It's been sitting in my garage for the last few months, and this morning it was 35* in there. The first few starter pushes the bike just stumbled quite a few times and never fired. So I turned the high beams on (this also turns my Rigid light bar on). Within 10 seconds, the battery shut itself off. I had to hit the restart button on the battery. After I hit the restart, I tried starting again, and a bunch more stumbles. This time it did fire after stumbling a bunch of times.

So my experience with lithiums thus far is that they're not at all suitable for cold weather. I will report back tomorrow on how it went starting after work. Its supposed to be around 45 today, so that should provide more good info.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Rode in this morning.

The lithium did NOT want to turn my bike over. It's been sitting in my garage for the last few months, and this morning it was 35* in there. The first few starter pushes the bike just stumbled quite a few times and never fired. So I turned the high beams on (this also turns my Rigid light bar on). Within 10 seconds, the battery shut itself off. I had to hit the restart button on the battery. After I hit the restart, I tried starting again, and a bunch more stumbles. This time it did fire after stumbling a bunch of times.

So my experience with lithiums thus far is that they're not at all suitable for cold weather. I will report back tomorrow on how it went starting after work. Its supposed to be around 45 today, so that should provide more good info.
    Yes, agree. It also depends on what you are trying to start. Seems like big twins are generally hard to start. Changing to a lithium on my Ducati 1100evo did not make a difference and personally I also think it is worse in the cold weather than the original YUASA

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234