Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Anyone using Lithium Iron Battery?

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Anyone using Lithium Iron Battery?

Anyone using a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery? How do you like it?

I used to run a Shorai Lithium Ion i[no, wrong, was Lithium-Iron duh] in one bike, but found it would drain with key off, had to pull the main fuse if it sat for more than a few days. While an AGM battery in the same bike would hold charge for months.

Looking at Shorai and Earth-X

Looking to hear about first-hand experience ...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by whynot; 05-30-20 at 10:44 AM. Reason: wrong
    And don't believe everything you think.

Re: Anyone using Lithium Iron Battery?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

^^ always a fun read, thanks.

I'm looking to save some weight on my '96 900SS, the battery sits up high, the Bikemaster AGM in there now works fine, but must weigh close to 20 pounds.

"Earth-X uses a "normal" charger like Battery Tender "These batteries will work with all vehicle charging systems and "modern" lead-acid battery chargers, thanks to the exclusive built-in electronics (Battery Management System, BMS). No other motorsport lithium battery offers built-in electronics which protect it from over-discharging or over-charging while keeping the cell's charge level balanced."

I like AGMs, just want to save weight in this case.

Last edited by whynot; 05-30-20 at 10:45 AM.

i tried to run my race bikes with lithium battery's many different brands some worked for awhile but could never keep them charged over the winter (they hate cold) and to much fuss for a few pounds' and lots of money. I went glass mat battery's from AGM for my Ducati 1100 no issues! others will say they have not had any issues with lithium! But is my case there not worth it!

Thanks. Sure sounds like a case of YMMV from what I read ...

The Shorai Lithium Iron that I ran would hold a charge for months like over the winter -- if totally disconnected. Very sensitive to parasitic drains, though.

AGM: my 2012 Hyper 796 is running the original Yuasa, no problems, still strong.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by whynot; 05-30-20 at 10:45 AM.

Lifer

I've had a lithium (Battery Tender BTL09A120C) in my dirtbike since 2016. Works great. It's up high, directly under the seat. You could definitely feel the reduction in weight, although it wasn't massive and that's on a bike that weigh's half as much as a street bike. It does get a bit weak in the cold (like below 40F), but turning the ignition on asap while getting ready helps a bit, and just leaning on the starter button can warm it up enough to weeze back to life.

Two weeks ago I accidentally left my igition on for a little more than a week and drained it flat. 5-10 minutes of trail riding and it had enough power to crank just as good as a full charge. I also never turn my ignition off while out riding, and just let it draw. It never seems to care, no matter how long I'm stopped.

I have never had it on a tender, and I don't pull the fuse or undo the leads over the winter.

Last edited by aldend123; 05-27-20 at 05:16 PM.
    nedirtriders.com

Lifer

I have mixed results. Bought a WPS for my monster 1100evo but it does not start any easier than the previous battery and those twins are hard to start. If anything, it does weight 5 pounds less than the previous battery

Last edited by dankatz; 05-28-20 at 09:37 AM.
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

I've had the Shorai in 3 bikes so far (SV650, 1098SF and FJR1300). Happy with them all. The concern about the winter wasn't an issue with the SV. Similar for the other 2 bikes as long as I remembered to turn on the headlight for a couple minutes to"warm" up the battery before cranking it over. When I did have an issue this spring after not having started the the Duc or FJ for months it took just a 1/2 hour or so on the charger to bring it back to full service.

Awhile back someone one the forum recommended the CTEK Lithium charger. I bought one and it's been great when needed.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by 02redhawk; 05-27-20 at 09:11 PM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    I've had the Shorai in 3 bikes so far (SV650, 1098SF and FJR1300). Happy with them all. The concern about the winter wasn't an issue with the SV. Similar for the other 2 bikes as long as I remembered to turn on the headlight for a couple minutes to"warm" up the battery before cranking it over. When I did have an issue this spring after not having started the the Duc or FJ for months it took just a 1/2 hour or so on the charger to bring it back to full service.

Awhile back someone one the forum recommended the CTEK Lithium charger. I bought one and it's been great when needed.
    Great point about "warming up the battery". I should try that on Monster. I bet your SF1098 is also not the easiest to start

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

I don't keep any of the Shoria on the tender. Even so unless it was really cold and the Duc had been sitting for a couple weeks turning on the light for a minute or two would do the trick. The bikes are in an unheated garage though it seldom gets in the teens. When cold the first stab at the starter switch it would turn quite slow and I'd only let it turn for 5 secs or so. After waiting for another 30 seconds or so with the light on I'd try again. Usually that's all it takes.

I'd also check out Antigravity. They have a battery that sets aside a reserve charge for jump starting. I've heard good things about them.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I'd also check out Antigravity. They have a battery that sets aside a reserve charge for jump starting. I've heard good things about them.
    Thanks, will do.

So far with a little searching it seems that Lithium Iron is safer than Lithium Ion, and can take many more charge-discharge cycles.

I have all Shorais. They have been flawless for me. I don't have to pull fuses. They hold charge better than any lead acid. Also, they are in my ice bike. The cold weather thing is not a factor if you know how to use them. warm them up with some light load before attempting to crank. That is all. I don't have chargers for them or anything.

Paul_E_D

caveat, I buy the expensive Shorais in the biggest size I can fit.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    caveat, I buy the expensive Shorais in the biggest size I can fit.
    Thanks.

[erroneous bad wrong information deleted]

Last edited by whynot; 05-29-20 at 09:33 AM. Reason: dumbness

Iron. I think they run 40-50 bucks more than the others. Like I said, they have been flawless and maintenance free. If by chance I drain one, I just put a regular charger on it for 5 minutes, then switch to a regular battery tender to finish charging it.

Paul_E_D

I've never seen anything but LiFEPo4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) from Shorai, where do you see them offering other chemistries?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I've had a lithium (Battery Tender BTL09A120C) in my dirtbike since 2016. Works great. It's up high, directly under the seat. You could definitely feel the reduction in weight, although it wasn't massive and that's on a bike that weigh's half as much as a street bike. It does get a bit weak in the cold (like below 40F), but turning the ignition on asap while getting ready helps a bit, and just leaning on the starter button can warm it up enough to weeze back to life.

Two weeks ago I accidentally left my igition on for a little more than a week and drained it flat. 5-10 minutes of trail riding and it had enough power to crank just as good as a full charge. I also never turn my ignition off while out riding, and just let it draw. It never seems to care, no matter how long I'm stopped.

I have never had it on a tender, and I don't pull the fuse or undo the leads over the winter.
    Same here. Same battery. Same time line. Same results. The Battery Tender brand battery has been awesome. The bike is a KTM350 EXCf.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I've never seen anything but LiFEPo4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) from Shorai, where do you see them offering other chemistries?
    Right on the box. My LFX14L2

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

Oh, I mis-read that. Yeah, I thought they were all LiFEPo4. But I do know they offer cheaper, less powerful models in all sizes. Perhaps those are LiIon?

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Oops sorry my mistake, don't know what I was looking at.

All listed as Lithuim-Iron:
    https://shoraipower.com/batteries-c41

... kinda went down the rabbit hole with this thread, but I learned a thing or two ...

Last edited by whynot; 05-30-20 at 10:46 AM. Reason: stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Oh, I mis-read that. Yeah, I thought they were all LiFEPo4. But I do know they offer cheaper, less powerful models in all sizes. Perhaps those are LiIon?
    They offer 4 cell, 8 cell and 12 cell batts in various packages. 4 cell units have less amperage than 8 and 12, but weigh less, and sometimes are all you can fit in the smallest packaging. The only time I've seen non LiFEPo4 batts for bike use have been the bare shrink-wrapped cell bundles that were hand made in low volumes by a few people. Given their propensity for going thermal runaway when damaged, over charged or over discharged the tiny increase in energy density over LiFEPo4s generally isn't seen as worth the increased liability for the volume mfgs.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Bought one (cruiser size) to try in my WRX for summer use. But it’s going to wind up in my 1975 BMW, which has an absurdly large and heavy battery.

3D printed a battery box for an LiFe battery in the TW200.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Bought one (cruiser size) to try in my WRX for summer use. But it’s going to wind up in my 1975 BMW, which has an absurdly large and heavy battery.

3D printed a battery box for an LiFe battery in the TW200.
    I would love one of those boxes for the Hyper..!

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

+1

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast