Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Valve adjust demo

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Valve adjust demo

I was planning to demo a valve adjust on a "screw and locknut" style bike on April 12. That day won't be good for the demo due to the Winter conditions I am experiencing at my home so I've postponed the demo until May 3rd. More details to follow as the day draws nearer.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Valve adjust demo

I could have demo'd that at my house a couple of weeks ago when I did the 86 VFR. Probably wouldn't have been too pretty though as it was my first time. If I had others there watching and talking I probably would have lost my place, or used a wrong feeler gauge or something.

It was very easy. The worst part was taking everything apart to get into the valve covers. This is why a lot of bike mechanics don't like working on the Honda V-Fours.

Then, having the correct Honda tool might have made it a little easier because on a couple I found that it would go out of adjustment when I tightened the lock nut.

I think that the funniest part for anyone looking on would have been when I was getting frustrated because the manual did not identify the intake valves vs. the exhaust valves. OK, dopey - get your head out of the book and look at: Intake valves are on the side of the carbs...exhaust valves are on the side of the head pipes. Duuuhhh...

Tim B.
    Manchester, NH
    2002 Triumph Daytona 955i
    CSBA #256
    www.christiansportbike.com
    Jesus Rocks!

Valve adjust demo

Just did one this weekend on a screw and locknut Ninja. The right tools do help. It's really not that difficult once you get over the fear of "opening" up your engine. Be careful dropping little things down there though. Shim under bucket is a little more difficult, but I do those on the TLS too.

Just a reminder

PM me for directions

I Dance With Will

Valve adjust demo

around what time will this start?

anyone want to ride here from Boston, south, west, north, east?

hopefully no rain.

"fuckit!"

Valve adjust demo

Thanks Stoinkythepig, what time to be there?

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Valve adjust demo

Any time after 07:30 is OK. Prior to that and you'll be helping me clean out the garage.

Valve adjust demo

kham,

Not sure how much you will get out of this is you are thinking about applying what you learn to your CBR. I am pretty sure that you have shim type valve adjustment on that.

Otherwise, just plan on hanging out with some good NESR folks and watch them get their hands dirty.

Tim B.
    Manchester, NH
    2002 Triumph Daytona 955i
    CSBA #256
    www.christiansportbike.com
    Jesus Rocks!

I Dance With Will

Valve adjust demo

we'll see. i probably wouldn't feel comfortable just yet after watching this. just want to keep open mind and get riding Saturday.

"fuckit!"

Valve adjust demo

Every little bit helps.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Valve adjust demo

no knowledge is wasted...

I'd love to make this, myself, if a prior commitment didn't make that impossible...

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

I Dance With Will

Valve adjust demo

yea.. should say more importantly hangout with some cool NESR folks, if you dont mind of course, and get more riding experience in.

"fuckit!"

Valve adjust demo

Sorry man, I have to Ralph out of this one; DART just called and needs help wrenching a bike, they gave me two days, I need to give back a little.

Hope you understand, and we'll catch you on the flip-flop.

-D

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

I Dance With Will

Valve adjust demo

damn! this is far.

"fuckit!"

I Dance With Will

Valve adjust demo

stoinky, sorry didnt make it on Saturday. i left home at 10am and it was still cold and windy on the highway so i bailed out at friends house in Lowell. then it was nice in the afternoon and i regret it.

"fuckit!"

Valve adjust demo

No worries. Oddly, not one participant, out of about 15 that came, needed a valve adjust. Spent most of the morning installing Race Tech cartridge emulators and springs and changing fork seals. The "event" was over by 2 PM and I went for a ride with each of my two kids. Most people came for the camaraderie and only four bikes were actually worked on. That said, had you shown up and wanted to see a valve adjust, I could have done an easy demo on my parts bike since it is sans plastic.

In another 2000 miles (maybe a month??) I'll be doing a shim under bucket (much more applicable to 95% of the people on this forum) valve lash check/adjustment on my 9R. This is not a "tech day", just me in grubby clothes working in my garage (come to think of it, that's pretty much what the official "tech day" was). I would be happy to have observers and could likely keep up a moderately entertaining banter as I toil. I'm pretty good at the banter part.

Everybody to the limit!

Valve adjust demo

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    No worries. Oddly, not one participant, out of about 15 that came, needed a valve adjust. Spent most of the morning installing Race Tech cartridge emulators and springs and changing fork seals. The "event" was over by 2 PM and I went for a ride with each of my two kids. Most people came for the camaraderie and only four bikes were actually worked on. That said, had you shown up and wanted to see a valve adjust, I could have done an easy demo on my parts bike since it is sans plastic.

In another 2000 miles (maybe a month??) I'll be doing a shim under bucket (much more applicable to 95% of the people on this forum) valve lash check/adjustment on my 9R. This is not a "tech day", just me in grubby clothes working in my garage (come to think of it, that's pretty much what the official "tech day" was). I would be happy to have observers and could likely keep up a moderately entertaining banter as I toil. I'm pretty good at the banter part.
    Out of curiosity, whose bike got the cartridge emulators? Be interested in hearing how it's working out for them, I've read some good things about emulators improving the handling on ZX6E's, been told it's pretty much the best way to spend $150, performance-wise. I believe it too, the stock forks feel quite undersprung. Was the installation difficult? The part about drilling into the fork tubes makes me a bit nervous...I have access to a very nice drill press and an assortment of tools...but only one set of forks

I'm still very much interested in watching when it comes time for your shim-under-bucket adjustment. I imagine you must have one if you do them yourself, but I have a nice micrometer I could bring along if not...

Valve adjust demo

A friend of mine in the Concours Owners Group helped me swap the emulators from a wrecked 88 Concours (my parts bike and his first Concours) to a 2001 Concours he bought last year. He also rides a ZX12R and a BMW F650 and found the stock 2001 front suspension on Concours a bit lacking on bumpy NH back roads. He says the front end is on par with the 12R now but I'm not convinced...

I have them in my conk and think they are great. If your 6E feels under sprung, you'll likely want new springs too. You don't need to drill the fork tubes, only the damper rod. It's easy and simple to do. Just want to be sure the cup that the rod sits in does not cover the holes that you drilled so check before drilling.

www.casporttouring.com has excellent prices on RT stuff.