Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

valve stem install

valve stem install

hey all.

gonna have to put a valve stem on the new rim once its done at the coater.

i have some aftermarket stems and i attached a pic.

in a test put-on today, the problem is i can barely get the second lock-nut on.

i removed the original rubber nub closest to the outside-side and replaced it with another one as it had a flange on the rubber which was costing me space. still though with 2 rubbers i can barely get the lock nut on. should I maybe put a lockwasher inbetween the flange and the other nut? or maybe try to dig up an oem one?

i have a few as they came in a set of 5, but any thoughts would be helpful!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: valve stem install

Should only need one rubber washer. Should be stem, flange, rim, rubber washer, washer, then nut.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Giggity: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Eric, pretty sure I have the same stems on my wheels. They have 2 rubber washers

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Lifer

Can you skip the locknut and use red loctite?

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Shots View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Giggity: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Eric, pretty sure I have the same stems on my wheels. They have 2 rubber washers
    the stems come with 2 rubber washers. one is flanged one is not. i used 2x non flanged ones to gain some space, but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    Can you skip the locknut and use red loctite?
    i could, or a lockwasher between the flange and nut and locktite.

so here is the issue:

my beloved vmax (at least the '85 wheels i got here, but i wouldn't be surprised if ALL of them are the same, since they all carry the same valve stem part number), has the less than popular 0.327" or for those metric folks 8.3mm openings.

the rubber flange on the ones i got are meant for the 0.453" openings, thats why i can't get the flanged rubber one in the hole, i'm not just incompetent... heh.

so i'm getting some OEM ones but i still think they're butt ugly. i found a few sites that have the different sizes:

http://kurveygirl.com/shop/index.php?cPath=27

so i may just call some local bike places tomorrow and see what I can do. or they have sets of 2 here and are the sweet anodized fittings for under $30 shipped:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...8.3+valve+stem

as far as the thread issue as well it worked fine if i tightened it to spec. I still might see if i can figure out the thread and grab a nylon inserted nut as the lock nut. the second jamnut sat perfectly at the end of the thread if the first one was to 84 in lbs. (~10 Nm). but to do that I had to use a flat washer and the non-flanged rubber guy on the hub side of the rim.