Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Front tire wore out before rear.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Front tire wore out before rear.

Out of 19 sets of tires I've had on my bike, this is the only time I've ever had a front wear out before the back. They are Pilot Road 2s and I just bought my second set of them.

These are also the first tires I've ever had that exceeded 6000 miles of wear (may get 7000 or more on the rear) and the front is the first that did not feather noticeably.

They are great in the rain, but a little loose in the dry compared to sport tires. I ride pretty sanely, so the lack of ultimate cornering traction is no big deal for me. I kinda like they way the rear predictably steps out under power, to be honest...

I like them.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Re: Front tire wore out before rear.

Wow, my first guess would be to ask what tire pressures you were running, and what wear area did the front lose the most? Or did it cup? My friend's Bridgestone 21's on his Falco have the same problem, but that rear tire lasts *forever,* his front was badly cupped when I rode it in CO.

I noticed the same (great wet grip, average at best in the dry) and prefer Road Attacks for the better dry grip (but not as good wet grip, or so people say)... either way why street riders ride anything but a sport touring tire like these is beyond me.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Wow, my first guess would be to ask what tire pressures you were running, and what wear area did the front lose the most? Or did it cup? My friend's Bridgestone 21's on his Falco have the same problem, but that rear tire lasts *forever,* his front was badly cupped when I rode it in CO.

I noticed the same (great wet grip, average at best in the dry) and prefer Road Attacks for the better dry grip (but not as good wet grip, or so people say)... either way why street riders ride anything but a sport touring tire like these is beyond me.
    I run 39 PSI front, 42 PSI rear, on my 2001 ZX9R.

The front wore out on the sides, like they always do for me, but unlike every other tire I've used, the tread on the leading edge and trailing edge of the side sipes was the same height (no feathering) throughout the life of the tire.

I worn out several sets of Road Attacks and they were my favorite tires until PR2s came out. I got 20+ percent better tread mileage out of the Pilot Road 2s and I really don't think there's any difference in dry traction between the two; I've pushed both enough to make them slide, several times. 20 percent more miles adds up to a lot of money (3 to 4 sets of tires) when you expect to put 100,000+ miles on a bike (it's at 87,400 right now).

I'm curious to try the RoadAttack 2's when they come out here next year. I don't do that kind of mileage, but I've ridden both the PR2 and RA's on the track... there is no comparison in dry weather performance. PR2's offer next to zero feel IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I run 39 PSI front, 42 PSI rear, on my 2001 ZX9R.

The front wore out on the sides, like they always do for me, but unlike every other tire I've used, the tread on the leading edge and trailing edge of the side sipes was the same height (no feathering) throughout the life of the tire.

I worn out several sets of Road Attacks and they were my favorite tires until PR2s came out. I got 20+ percent better tread mileage out of the Pilot Road 2s and I really don't think there's any difference in dry traction between the two; I've pushed both enough to make them slide, several times. 20 percent more miles adds up to a lot of money (3 to 4 sets of tires) when you expect to put 100,000+ miles on a bike (it's at 87,400 right now).

CCS/LRRS #83

Should be 32F 28R ISh.......or thats where Powers are..

42 lbs. sounds like it would make any rear tire slide easily if pushed. Maybe that's why you get such good mileage though.

If I get over 38-39 pounds hot, the rear slides easily. I set my rear at 35 cold street.

Ted, your hot rear slides easily?

CCS/LRRS #83

Ted, your hot rear slides easily?
    When my rear is hot, the pressure rises and you're behind me trying to go faster it does slide easily.

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto View Post
    42 lbs. sounds like it would make any rear tire slide easily if pushed. Maybe that's why you get such good mileage though.
    The tire pressures I use came right out of my owner's manual. I figure they are a little low already since the bike is supposedly supposed to be optimized for a 180 lb rider and I weigh 210. I don't ride on the track and don't experiment much with tire pressure, but I think the bike feels better at the recommended pressures than it does when the tires are down around 35 PSI or lower. Might simply be psychological though...

I'm running RA on my TL & used them @ the track, they worked fine maybe a little greesy @ the end.

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.