Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Vanson back protector

Vanson back protector

So I just got a Vanson 1 piece with their back protector to replace my Alpinestars SP1. I haven't ridden in the Vanson and have only worn the suit to try it on. Based on just this, I can say I'm looking forward to a much better fitting suit that feels a lot more heavy duty. I have a knox back protector (the big bulky race one) that I've had for a bit. Comparing it to the Vanson back protector it is strikingly different. The Vanson back armor is thinner and articulates more, I also like that it fits inn a pocket in the suit, very convenient. That said it seems far less robust than my old knox. The knox is CE level 2, and I don't know the CE rating of the Vanson armor (if any). That said, I don't know how meaningful the CE levels are in real world situations and I am certainly under-qualified to speculate! Does anyone have first had experience of going down on their back using the Vanson back protector? It is very comfortable and seems less restrictive in terms of motion, but the knox isn't all that bad comfort wise and has certainly protected me well in the past.

This subject is particularly important to me because I broke my back in a cycling accident a few years ago. I still have daily pain from it and narrowly escaped much more serious consequences.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by eforer; 08-21-12 at 09:26 PM.

Re: Vanson back protector

I've been down many times in vanson suits. The back protector has always worked perfectly. I don't think it has quite as much coverage as your knox, but between that and the huge shoulder armor in the vanson, I think you a well protected.

Paul_E_D

High maintenance priss

I personally think there are better options for back protectors than the Vanson BP. I think there's a lot more science in the new BPs and body armor. I also think the Vanson BP is too small. I've crashed but never had an incident which has tested the BP (yes, I have a Vanson).

Interesting, I might just pop the vanson BP out and use the knox. It will make it easier to get the suit on anyways as the stiffness of the BP in the pocket makes the suit more clumsy to put on.

Vanson - best engineering 1982 has to offer. Their soots fit/look like ass.

Sorry.

Like Paul, over 10 years with a Vanson, been down many times even landing and being hit by my bike in my back... not one issue with back protector.
    It finally died when cut off me last year otherwise I would still be wearing it.

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Ha, yeah, I high-sided and my bike hit me in the back 3 times! It's the blukiness of the entire suit that makes a difference IMO. If you look at each part, they don't seem to compare favorable, but when you pick up the entire package, you know it's gonna protect you.

Paul_E_D