Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vanson worth the $$?

Vanson worth the $$?

OK...
    I know I'm opening the opinion floodgates here, so let me try to close them up just a little (not that i don't value everyone's opinion)...<br>I'm looking to cough up the loot for some new dead cows... I'd love to hear from folks who have <b> actual first hand experience</b> with vanson leathers.<br> I know it's good stuff... I also know how "pricey" it is... with this is mind is it good enough to warrant the rather high $$? <br>
    I know all about their reputation, so that's not in question. <br> Ideally I'd love to hear from people who have gone down wearing Vanson and maybe even some folks who have had other "slides" in other leathers to compare them to.
    Thanks in advanson... get it? advance... vanson... advanson... The horror. Somebody kill me now.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tricky Mike; 06-16-05 at 09:32 AM.

Littering and........

Vanson worth the $$?

I have had the same Vanson jacket for 7 years now. I have yet to crash test it, but in terms of build quality, its really well put together. All of the zippers still work great, all of the seams are holding together perfectly, and it basically still looks brand new. I paid $500 for it back in 1998, and it has served me well, and I would recommend Vanson to pretty much anyone.

Vanson worth the $$?

YES.

I've crashed while racing 4 times and my Vanson one piece suit was rock-solid.

Vanson worth the $$?

ok, i don't have first hand experience but i can tell you that my husband has crash tested his (racing) no less than a dozen times over the years. in any case, i think it held up really well. he finally had to get it repaired a couple of years ago and vanson did a great job - it was pricey to repair but it looked almost brand new when he got it back.

the only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.

Vanson worth the $$?

Hanging up on the ceiling in the Vansons factory/store is a suit where one half is rashed/dirty etc. and the other half is the repaired half. It looks brand new! They must do an excelent job repairing the suit. You already know about the quality so if it will last you YEARS and the repair brings it back to almost new, I don't see how you can go wrong. FWIW I love my 1 piece though I've only worn it a few times.

Good thing is they're close by too so if you need it taken out, or repairs, whatever, it's a little more convenient.

Vanson worth the $$?

By far, most of that "pricey" suit's cost is labor. This is why he is having much of it sewn overseas shortly.

Americans won't work for $20.00 a week, and someone has to pay that person in Fall River sewing your suit a wage that will help pay the bills.

Vanson is a quality suit, and will outlast anything Joe Rocket sells commercialy.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Vanson worth the $$?

Very true. I admit that Vanson being real close is part of the appeal. I also like to support local businesses, too, so I feel pretty good about giving them my dollars.

I was just curious about how well other less expensive leathers stack up.

BenVFR made an intersting point in another thread about gloves...
    Quote:
    <b>Putting it as $20/finger is a good way to put it into perspective though... any finger surgery is going to cost 20x that at least. It's just a question of whether or not $10/finger works just as well.</b>

I think Vanson is likely worth every penny. I was just wondering if the general consensus is that the same level of protection can be had for less $$... (I know this is a dangerous compromise and it goes against my current thoughts about the "right"gear)

I dunno... the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards Vanson. I've slowly come to grips with the fact that I'll need t spend a lot on the right gear to feel good about it... that said, I probably shouldn't gamble on cheaper leather in the hopes that it will perform *as well* when I can just buy some Vanson stuff that I feel confident will work as well or better than anything out.

Vanson worth the $$?

I heart Vanson!

Vanson worth the $$?

Yes, Vanson suits hold to much abuse. Yes, the same quality can be had for half the money. Dave hit it on the head. You're paying american labor rates for these products. ANY overseas operation can sell for about half what Vanson sells for and make more money.

I recently saw a full kangaroo suit for 900 dollars new! (seacoast Cycle) It weighed less than half of what my vanson suit weighs. I don't know how well it would hold up, but roo is supposedly stronger than cow in abrasion and tearing.

Anyway, part of what makes me feel safe in my vansons is the hefty material and my past experiences crashing in it. YMMV

Paul_E_D

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Vanson worth the $$?

im sure when Dan (legal speed) gets home from the track he will attest to theyre durability since no one crashes harder and more often than him

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Vanson worth the $$?

Vanson is a quality suit, and will outlast anything Joe Rocket sells commercialy.
    I agree. But most any off the shelf leathers will last ONE track lay down from what I've seen.

So now the question to me is...do I want to over spend on a vanson ? And possibly lay it down? Now do you replace the suit (repair etc) OR go about getting a new one? Most riders I know dont prefer riding in post crash leathers except to hear themselves talk at the local tap.

Alternatively, you could go with something a bit more affordable and then if you do lay it down...it wont break the bank to get a replacement set.

imho

-John
    FZR1000
    www.fzr1000exup.com

Vanson worth the $$?

Originally posted by jjs777
    Alternatively, you could go with something a bit more affordable and then if you do lay it down...it wont break the bank to get a replacement set.[/B]

Since I don't do 185 on the track, I don't need leather quite that thick, most off-the-shelf-leather will provide all the rash protection I need.

The repair option is nice, but for the same money, I can just rebuy the suit.

When the production of Vanson goes overseas, do you think the price will drop to reflect the lower expense? I don't. I see profits going up, not price coming down.

Then again, I won't spend my money on an Arai either......

I recently saw a full kangaroo suit for 900 dollars new! (seacoast Cycle) It weighed less than half of what my vanson suit weighs.
    Check the thickness of the leather, the weight savings may be at a cost of YOUR hide.

-Matt

Vanson worth the $$?

Originally posted by Matt
    Check the thickness of the leather, the weight savings may be at a cost of YOUR hide.
    I may be mistaken but the benefit of kangaroo is that it's stronger than cow, thus it can be thinner/lighter without losing strength of the suit.

Vanson worth the $$?

I have some Vanson pants (perforated) that are the most comfortable pants I own ! Hands down. Even better than my two year old blue jeans !

What's cool about them is that they will custom make the stuff to your dimensions,
    I dont think it was much more $$.

But then again my girl friend sprung for them as a birthday present, so what do I know !

Vanson worth the $$?

my girl friend sprung for them as a birthday present
    sounds like she's a keeper !

-John
    FZR1000
    www.fzr1000exup.com

Vanson worth the $$?

I have a custom Vanson Volante suit. Hands-down it is the best leathers I have ever owned. Luckily I have yet to crash test them, but I have complete confidence that I would be protected if that ever ocurred.

Like someone previously mentioned, if you buy a Vanson you'll have it for a lifetime.

Troy

'02 VFR with Staintunes, K&N, PCIII, polished wheels, Corbin seat, Throttlemeister, NWS C/F Hugger, LP C/F tank protector, Stemstand with BEL radar detector, oem hardbags and Wolfman tankbag.

'98 VTR1000 with too many goodies to list

Keep the sticky side down....

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

Vanson worth the $$?

I have the Vanson street and track combo. It's a custom fit 2 piece suit and the best quality I have had to date. I've seen the Vansons crash tested at the track and if they can get the bike ready for thier next race they are out there agian. If the damage is bad enough then Vanson will do repairs. Don't know if the other makers will do that....

Worth every penny....

My ride's

95 FZR 1000
    19xx DOUBLE "D"
    (sold) 02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    06 Chevy Supercharged Cobalt SS

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

dissent

ok. i've owned a 2 piece vanson leathers....

I didnt like them...

i bought the right size and broke them wore them day in and day out...

They just didnt feel right, they didnt feell like a second skin they felt like a suit of armor but one that hindered me on the bike and on the track.
    even after broken in, i did't like them

I like my alpinestars leathers;

my 2 cents

Half the price and i love them so much more.

Last edited by black; 06-20-05 at 09:47 AM.
    hmmmm......

Vanson worth the $$?

went down to Fall River on saturday... Tried a bunch of stuff on. Probably just gonna bite the bullet and buy some.

[vent]
    Side note...
    Maybe all of the knowledgeable sales folks were up at Laconia (which is not only possible, but likely)... but Maaaaaaaaaaan the customer service was total shite. I had a few questions about their 2-piece combos... some simple questions about break-in, fit, etc. I was essentially dying to spend $500 and I wound up leaving with a wallet full of cash and no leather. The two girls in there appeared to not only know next to nothing about motorcycles, but next to nothing about leathers either. In defense of one of the young ladies, she *was* trying... and somewhat friendly. The other was a total F'n hostile disaster. Really disappointing. My favorite quote from the trip was when I asked the disaster how much a pair of pants cost (prices not marked).... her EXACT reply was: "Yeah, we don't got no prices on nuthin'"
    Um.... riiiiight.... hence the question.....
    I reply: "I noticed... that's why I'm asking..."
    Her: "They're like $500."
    Me: "They're *like* $500, or they *are* $500?"
    Her: in a huff... puts the magazine down and checks the computer... turns out they're *like* $539.
    I thanked her, put the pants back on the rack and walked out.
    [/vent]

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Vanson worth the $$?

when I went there... they were the same exact way. but 2 of the girls did look doable... and ialmost got her phoen # but realized that she was 16

hmmmm......

Vanson worth the $$?

I've been down there once.

I stopped in on a Sunday when they opened and I was literally the ONLY person in the store.

There were 4 or 5 people working and not one person offered me any help.

I was in there for an hour looking at different jackets, trying them on... etc etc.

They don't have a single price tag in the place, so you would think that someone would offer some assistance.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Vanson worth the $$?

My experience there was a little different. There was a younger girl who was helping me out. She was trying her best but didn't quite know how to fit someone properly. She went and got a middle aged woman who knew everything about their product line and worked with me for about 1.5 hours to make sure everything fit properly.

I was overall very pleased with the service but not so much the ass raping my wallet took when I left.

That said, my jacket and pants are quite comfortable now that I have broken them in. Fortunately I have not tested out their durability in a slide but I know several people who have gone down in them and the leather being scuffed up was the only thing wrong with the suit afterward.

Vanson worth the $$?

YES.

Crash tested on some of the finest tracks on the Eastern Seaboard.

I would not wear anything else, and will not let my wife either.

Vanson has open houses at the Fall River location, this is where you get the deals. I pulled from the leftover rack, previous year's Team Suzuki leathers, with hard armor, back protector, and pucks it cost me $720.

If you can buy form the odds and ends rack the price drops in half, 450 for a full race suit, goofy colors.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Vanson worth the $$?

when i've been down to vanson, i've just asked for a price list. maybe they don't have a stack of them up front anymore?

Banned

Vanson worth the $$?

I have crashed about 12 times in my Vanson suit. I despise the fact that it is so heavy, the inner liner is crap and keeps tearing and coming unstitched, it is hard to put on, the armour shifts around. It took about 6 months of riding/crashing to break it in.

On the plus side:
    I am still walking fairly normally and I have the right amount of limbs and most of them have a pretty good skin layer left.

I can drive to Vanson on their open house days and have repairs done free while I wait, and they do GREAT repairs. No messing around with foo-foo fancy stitching of the original pattern, just dirty great patches of 2mm cow in the places where I know I'll wear through again next time I crash.

If I was in the market for a new suit, I would get either:

A new Vanson for about $1500.
    A Barnacle Bill custom made for same.
    A top of the line dainese 'roo skin for about $2200 (or any dainese suit).
    A Syed custom made for I believe about $1500 also.

Any others are a waste of time (for serious racing)

If you are buying a suit for trackdays and you want it to protect you for that ONE crash you MIGHT have, any suit made of at least 1.5mm cowhide that is double-stitched should be fine. You should not need to spend more than about $600

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast