Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Vermont loophole dead?

Vermont loophole dead?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Vermont loophole dead?

hah, I just did a 2 year reg at the end of June, the sticker came last week

Lifer

I did it maybe 2 months ago and again last week. No issues. I didnt bother with the video, what's he saying about it?

The VT DMV website has definitely been updated, I didn’t have to fill out any out of state forms.

Vermont loophole dead?-img_6861-jpg

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    I did it maybe 2 months ago and again last week. No issues. I didnt bother with the video, what's he saying about it?
    As of July 6, they no longer allow out of state registrations.

Lifer

Ah. My unused ski condo address pays off again. I could never find a way to register anything as an out of state resident anyway, no mass insurer would cover me for a vehicle registered out of state so I just used the condo to get everything done.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hypertarded

Well that sounds like a money making opportunity, I have a feeling you're about to have a lot of short term roommates....

Lifer

Lol. I don't even think that address really matters. Vermont has never asked for more than just the address, every piece of mail they do send goes directly to an out of state address. It only matters for insurance, for me anyway. I have no idea how out of state people are able to register a vehicle and get insurance without a vt address.

It only matters for insurance, for me anyway. I have no idea how out of state people are able to register a vehicle and get insurance without a vt address.
    Not sure why insurers care. If the vehicle is actually in VT their risk is probably lower. If it's not, and you listed the garaging address "incorrectly" it gives them an excuse to weasel out of paying you. They seem perfectly happy to separate people from their money in every other situation.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I guess my next no title bike will be registered in South Dakota. Not exactly sure how well that works, but it will be fun to figure out. After that, maybe paying the stupid MA bonded title fees will be all that's left.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34366/...-registrations

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    I guess my next no title bike will be registered in South Dakota. Not exactly sure how well that works, but it will be fun to figure out. After that, maybe paying the stupid MA bonded title fees will be all that's left.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34366/...-registrations
    looks like Montana is one more option

https://www.dirtlegal.com/motorcycle...ration-options

Lol. I don't even think that address really matters. Vermont has never asked for more than just the address, every piece of mail they do send goes directly to an out of state address. It only matters for insurance, for me anyway. I have no idea how out of state people are able to register a vehicle and get insurance without a vt address.
    VT didn't care that you were out of state. It was right on their DMV website. You didn't need residency.

Insurance never asks because you insure before getting registered in and in your insurance paperwork you promise to be 3 things, Have residency, insurance and registration all in the same state.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Not sure why insurers care. If the vehicle is actually in VT their risk is probably lower. If it's not, and you listed the garaging address "incorrectly" it gives them an excuse to weasel out of paying you. They seem perfectly happy to separate people from their money in every other situation.
    You're. Insurers don't really "care" because you're the one breaking rules by insuring something out of your state of residency and having a registered vehicle in a difference state than your residency. They have rights do deny you.

This loophole was somewhat useful to wash titles but not to maintain a registration... legally of course. If you don't care for insurance then so be it. I've been saying this for many years.

I was able to insure in RI, and register in Vt when I titled an 07 R1 in Vt. I had Foremost insurance, it was written in my policy where the bike was kept, and where it was registered. This policy also had trackday coverage, which most say doesn’t exist.

I’m going to guess that unless you have a Vt license, your Vt address is going to be useless as of July 6th.

Last edited by R7; 07-13-23 at 01:34 PM.
    Yamaha

If I have a vehicle jointly registered with a Vermont
    resident but I live out of state, do I need the Out of
    State Registration Certification form?

The loophole still exists if you have a VT resident you trust to co-register with .

TIMMYDUCK

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    If I have a vehicle jointly registered with a Vermont
    resident but I live out of state, do I need the Out of
    State Registration Certification form?

The loophole still exists if you have a VT resident you trust to co-register with .
    Many years ago, my brother (who lives in Vermont)used to put me and used my address on his sled registrations so he could get a resident registration, that was reciprocal with Maine & Que, non resident were not reciprocal. But that was ages ago, like 6 life times

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    Many years ago, my brother (who lives in Vermont)used to put me and used my address on his sled registrations so he could get a resident registration, that was reciprocal with Maine & Que, non resident were not reciprocal. But that was ages ago, like 6 life times
    You had to register these

Vermont loophole dead?-14ff-55-jpg

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Has anyone sold something with an out of state vt reg ? Did it transfer to the new owner without issue?

Lifer

It's fine. All states have to honor it.