Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Vermont motorcyclist killed after collision with moose

Be careful out there. Especially in the moose corridor of Route 100.

GRANVILLE -- A 56-year-old Lincoln man was killed Thursday after the motorcycle he was riding struck a moose on Vermont 100.

Police said Mark Aron Rose was riding a 1998 Kawasaki Ninja 900 northbound when he came around a right-hand curve and struck a moose in the roadway. Rose was thrown from the bike and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Fuck!!

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Lifer

RIP...

Be careful out there. Moose are coming out of the woods a lot more. This one walked across my yard yesterday. She wasn't that big - but she'd still take you off a bike.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

i almost hit one in my car on VT125 coming down the snowbowl towards hancock, south of middlebury. i was hauling ass down the mtn and 3 of them were in the road.....almost soiled myself

Any idea what time of day? Ryan...how 'bout you? What time of day?

I think there is a bit of a myth out there that Moose and Deer are mostly active at dawn and dusk....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I forget exactly, i'd probably say late afternoon maybe dusk...but thats just a guess, this was a little over a year ago.

It was enough to scare me into ALWAYS keeping an eye out for animals on roads like that, esp on the bike....

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Any idea what time of day? Ryan...how 'bout you? What time of day?

I think there is a bit of a myth out there that Moose and Deer are mostly active at dawn and dusk....
    The one in my yard was out at 2:00 in the afternoon... They're a bitch to see at night. Your headlights go right under their legs.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

I had a similar experience on RT7 in Georgia. A freakin cow ran out in the road in front of me about 20 yards ahead. I locked up my front brake and stopped about 2 feet behind it. It was freaky, but I was lucky I was ready for it because I could see the guy running after her, but not the cow itself.

I once rode the Extraterrstrial Highway out of Vegas to Tonepah. I was on a rented Harley Ultra and alone and at midnight. I stopped at the AlieInn to see if the had gas....they didn't. But they warned me about 'free range cattle' that like to stand in the middle of the road...and they are always 'facing the other way' which means no reflections of their eyes and if you plow in to them you give new meaning to the term 'asspacked'.

Sure 'nuff, about 10 miles past the AlieInn and about 30 miles short of Tonepah I split between two of them at about 80mph. Yikes!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

That sucks. My dad's best friend was killed when he hit a moose on the highway not far from my house (not even up north, I'm talking Dover, NH). He'd been riding for many years and was only riding that night because he was called into work. The only time I've hit a deer I was driving a 40' bus at about 45ish mph at about 9pm(college job). One second it wasn't there, the next second a blur was flying in front of my bus and I barely had time to touch the brakes before hitting it. I'm glad I was in such a large vehicle. Hitting a large animal is my biggest fear while riding. Due to my work schedule I can only ride after about 7 during the week. I see it as a risk I take and don't let it stay on my mind while riding.

WhiteMtnCruiser

I have almost hit moose so many times that I don't even bother counting anymore. Especially in northern Maine where we call them swamp rats.

Dusk is the worst time especially during bug season.

Here is an article from the Bangor Daily News a couple of days ago ...
    Wearing your gear will not protect you from a moose ...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Pittsfield: Waterville man dies after collision with moose
    By Dawn Gagnon
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 - Bangor Daily News

A Waterville motorcyclist died Friday afternoon in a collision with a moose on Interstate 95.

Ronald Byrum, 61, was riding his 2007 Suzuki in the northbound lanes of I-95 in Pittsfield when a moose left the median and crossed into his path, according to witnesses, said Maine State Trooper Sean Kinney.

Byrum was pronounced dead at the accident scene, the trooper said.

"It was pretty much instantaneous" based on reports from witnesses, Kinney said.

Byrum was traveling solo on his motorcycle and no other vehicles were involved.

Friday’s crash was the second fatal moose collision in Maine this week and third this year. A woman was killed on Memorial Day weekend when her car hit a moose on I-95 just north of Medway. A man and woman were killed on Tuesday, June 26, when their vehicle struck a moose carcass on I-95 in Howland and then swerved into the break down lane and crashed into the tractor-trailer that had just killed the animal and pulled over.

Kinney said speed was not a factor in Friday’s accident and that Byrum was "very well protected," wearing a full-face helmet and a full protective riding suit.

"It didn’t look like he had much of a chance," Kinney said.

A friend of mine hit a small deer out at Sturgis last year, it basically exploded on impact taking out his fairing and hard sided bag on a HD. real lucky, he didn't go even down.

I wasn't paying much atention to this thread, but my father just called me, Mark Rose was my dad's girlfriend's son-in-law, I had met him only once last year and never got to go riding with him

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON