Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vermonters Lic. Help.

Vermonters Lic. Help.

Well I applied to Vermont for a registration on my newly streetafied

DRZ250 barn find (2002 with 81 miles)

Well I paid and got a license Plate but

It has a sticker with just a big "T" on it

What does the T mean, I fear its some bogus trails plate

who knows ???

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Re: Vermonters Lic. Help.

T is for temporary, you'll get your finalized registration and stickers in a few weeks. Should've been a temp registration sheet that came with the plate.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Why not just register it in CT? I just did my CRF about a month ago. It's pretty simple as long as the bike is legal. And it looks a little more legit while riding on CT roads. Wethersfield DMV inspection was really pretty painless. I dreaded it going into it but it really turned out pretty simple.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    Why not just register it in CT? I just did my CRF about a month ago. It's pretty simple as long as the bike is legal. And it looks a little more legit while riding on CT roads. Wethersfield DMV inspection was really pretty painless. I dreaded it going into it but it really turned out pretty simple.

Cause...either SouthDakota or VT you can just mail in your Reg...no need to have it inspected any shit, way easier. NH is similar you just need a dealer to sign off on the Bike and its legal. Then you plate it in your state with a title in hand..

That doesn't work in CT anymore. You need to have a VIN verification with an out of state title. Then..., a motorcycle that resembles a dirt bike HAS to go to a DMV inspection facility for a "courtesy inspection" which then they just do a full inspection anyway. I just went through it with my CRF, it had an NH street title when I bought it.

Jeff

That doesn't work in CT anymore. You need to have a VIN verification with an out of state title. Then..., a motorcycle that resembles a dirt bike HAS to go to a DMV inspection facility for a "courtesy inspection" which then they just do a full inspection anyway. I just went through it with my CRF, it had an NH street title when I bought it.
    Hence why he went to VT.....and will just ReNew it. MA is worse and thats why a titled MA Dirty, sumo or other is worth more $$$$

I guess, but the sketchy-ness of it didn't appeal to me. Riding a bike that already looks like it shouldn't be on the road topped with a VT plate in CT just didn't seem worth the risk to me. Plus I would have had to get another insurance policy solely for the VT registered bike rather than just add to my current policy. Whatever works for him I guess. I just hope he doesn't expect an easy transfer to CT because those days seem to be over here.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Then you plate it in your state with a title in hand..
    And you had originally said this, like he was going to just register in CT afterwards. I was saying that that is no longer true.

Jeff

Lifer

Riding a bike that already looks like it shouldn't be on the road topped with a VT plate in CT just didn't seem worth the risk to me.
    I'm legitimately curious.. why? What's the risk? The OP has a legally registered motorcycle. What is the problem?

OP: What documentation did you need to provide? My understanding is that anything <15 years old that does not have a title that needs one needs to have past registrations and a BOS. Is that correct?

Edit: Never mind. DRZ-250 => less than 300cc => different rules than my SV, no title required. Carry on.

Last edited by nhbubba; 02-13-14 at 08:21 AM.

And you had originally said this, like he was going to just register in CT afterwards. I was saying that that is no longer true.
    Speaking for other states like MA...cause with a CO as a title its basically illegal in MA to Reg... but there are loop holes

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'm legitimately curious.. why? What's the risk? The OP has a legally registered motorcycle. What is the problem?
    Well, CT has obviously gotten smart to the idea and that is why they now require you to take your bike that "resembles a dirt bike" to the DMV for the VIN verification and "courtesy inspection". They want to make sure it's safe for the road, I get that. And I'm sure the CT Police are also aware of this and know that a VT registered dirt bike in the heart of CT is probably not REALLY road legal. A simple pull over could wind up with many infractions. Now if that same cop see's a CT plate on a dirt bike in the heart of CT you still may get pulled over just to make sure it's legit but you'll have a better chance of getting let off. I may be in a different boat here than most though, my drivers license pays my bills. Points or license loss aren't really great for me.

Also, if it's registered in VT and you ever plan on riding it in VT you'd better have an inspection sticker. That is also an annual nightmare if you want to be legit up there. I've got family in VT so more than likely the bike will get some use up there.

Jeff

ADVRIDER guy said that CT REQUIRES a real certificate of origin or No go

This was in the back of the guys garage and he said it always would go then stop mysteriously so I took a gamble
    Some of the original wiring down to 22 gauge and poorly connected with odd crimp connections so I paralleled some real wire while adding the lighting

I flushed the fuel system, rejetted the pilot and removed that 400 mesh "beanny" from the float valve added fuel filter and had to replace the O ring that seals the
    float seat a POOR design in the age of alcohol gas

Changed spark plug to Iridium and got new cap and routed the plug wire correctly that may have been the whole problem, as it really was blocked by the head NOT
    clamped on the spark plug itself.

It has performed down to an idle and full power for a 15 minute ride and a 20 minute ride before I bothered to try to register

I just added the VIN to my progressive policy and they sent a new card... no question visa where it was registered etc.

THANKS guys the T for temporary is a great solution as I paid for 2 years

So 2008 TW200 1700 mostly street miles $2300 firm a great friendly go anywhere Burro

The calculus of hate

Yes, my son & I are learning the hard way about registering "dirt bikes" in CT. I have 2004 KDX200H with Massachusetts Title & son has 2003 XR400R with original Certificate of Origin. CT DMV had no problem collecting sales tax & issuing a 10-day Temp registration, but insisted I needed to go to one of many CT Emission stations to have VIN Verification, before I could get full 2-year "streetable" registration. Apparently the days of easily transferring an out-of-state titled bike to CT with simple VIN Verification are over, effective 9/26/2013.

"DMV State of Connecticut - Connecticut Emissions Program
    Subject: VIN Verification on Motorcycles-Clarification
    This clarifies the Fast Facts that was sent yesterday, and speaks to motorcycle that resemble dirt bikes.

Please be advised that effective immediately, due to potential safety concerns, motorcycles that closely resemble a dirt bike regardless of whether or not the manufacturer is listed on the CT manufacturer's list, must be referred to DMV's inspection lanes in either Wethersfield or Hamden for a courtesy inspection."

Not knowing all of this ahead of time, I brought the KDX to CT Emission's Station (Midas Muffler) and expected an easy process of paying $10 to verify VIN & be on my way. Since this was their 1st Motorcycle VIN Verification, the process became very complicated & they refused to do it, with this above notice as to why. I had studded front ice tire with tire wrap & rear knobby. Even though the bike "looks street legal" with hi-low beam headlight, working turn signals, tail light, brake light, mirror, work horn, etc. They refused to do VIN verification because it "looks like a dirt bike".

My next course of action is to remove "dirt tires" and install 21" & 18" DOT street tires & go through this detailed checklist of CT DMV requirements to register a "dirt bike". http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/modified_checklist.pdf

About all I need to do to pass this "courtesy inspection" is to install a battery & a mud flap - extended fender to not exceed 14" above rear axle, when measured without the weight of the rider. Once this is completed & all the checklist items have been properly identified, I will head to Wethersfield for inspection & hopefully get my full registration to ride KDX to & from dirt bike riding areas (also legal to ride on ice at CT State fishing spots with boat launches).

Sure, it would be much easier to just get ATV sticker registration for these bikes, but then we wouldn't be able to get "street" registration to legally operate on public roads. Apparently, once you get ATV registration, you are not able to get street registration (only one type is permitted per vehicle).

Well I AM a small government guy but

I am always surprised when it is HARD to come up with a rationalization for bureaucratic rule
    well otherwise than requiring MORE bureaucrats to enforce the rule

Also my brother says Montana is also a pay and get a tag state

The calculus of hate

Lifer

A simple pull over could wind up with many infractions. Now if that same cop see's a CT plate on a dirt bike in the heart of CT you still may get pulled over just to make sure it's legit but you'll have a better chance of getting let off. I may be in a different boat here than most though, my drivers license pays my bills. Points or license loss aren't really great for me.
    I'm still fuzzy on how you'd get points or loose your license. The vehicle is legally registered as a road legal vehicle. Should be the end of the discussion, no?

I know there is a shithead around the corner that has a truck that clearly isn't safe for road use, but is plated from NY. Local PD has told us they can't touch him .. for that.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'm still fuzzy on how you'd get points or loose your license. The vehicle is legally registered as a road legal vehicle. Should be the end of the discussion, no?
    My employer pulls my drivers record every year. Any violation shows up on it. That doesn't really hurt me at my current job but if I were to make a job change that could play a big role. Transport companies are very strict now about driving records due to crazy insurance premiums.

You could get nailed with operating an unsafe vehicle, something like that adds points. Also, if you get busted in CT and a cop finds something on the vehicle unsafe, that then sends you to the DMV to get inspected anyway. It's just a can or worms here I'd rather not get involved in. If you're just going to ride some enduros and run a few short road sections at 25 mph then I'd feel differently but I plan on hitting more roads than that.

Edit: Also, when that cop pulls you over and you've got a CT license but a somewhat illegal looking dirt bike with a VT registration, red flags are popping up everywhere.

If the bike is legal for the road then it's a pretty easy deal here in CT. Just go to the inspection lane with a conforming bike, get the inspection and VIN verification then go inside and register, receive a title in a few weeks, done deal. The only part that is hit or miss in CT is the need for an MSO, some have needed it to register while others have gotten away with just a bill of sale.

Last edited by GearHd6; 02-13-14 at 09:44 AM.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    ADVRIDER guy said that CT REQUIRES a real certificate of origin or No go
    Others have recently said that is not true.

Jeff

NH they actually want you to plate your ADV, Dirtbikes ECT....so when crossing and riding on the raods and shoulder you are Legit i love nh

Wheelieman, I went to the Wethersfield DMV and the process wasn't really that bad. They didn't really inspect it very thoroughly. I unloaded it out of my my truck, rode it right into the inspection line, shut it off then pushed it inside the building. They checked the VIN, checked my tires for DOT #'s (which I circled in yellow tire crayon) checked my lights, and made me lock up the front and rear brake just to make the brakes actually worked. They didn't even check my headlight but they did check that my brake light worked. Some have gotten away with just a rear brake light switch but others have needed front and rear switches, I had both. I did have a rear mudflap though and they mentioned that it would have needed it if I didn't have it installed.

A word of advice, go to the inspection lane Thursday morning before 9:15. Here's why, the inspection lane opens at 8:00am but the office doesn't open until 9:15am. So.., there is hardly anyone in line before 9:15. I got there around 8:45am and I got right in, no wait. You don't need to prepay or have any forms, they have the forms in the inspection lane and you'll pay the fee's when you register.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    NH they actually want you to plate your ADV, Dirtbikes ECT....so when crossing and riding on the raods and shoulder you are Legit i love nh
    Same here in CT. If you want to cross a road on an ATV you need it registered. Not a road plate but an off highway plate. They just want our tax money. Same goes for a snowmobile.

Jeff

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    T is for temporary, you'll get your finalized registration and stickers in a few weeks. Should've been a temp registration sheet that came with the plate.
    JCBell is totally incorrect. I don't know where he got his information from.

The "T" stands for trial. When an out-of-state driver first applies for a green Vermont plate they undergo a trial period. During the trial period if the operator of the vehicle fails to do anything stupid then they are issued an actual registration for the vehicle. If they go off the road, get stuck, tailgate, drive aggressively or any number of other infractions (while not under the influence of alcohol) then the green plate is revoked and they are issued a white license plate to better blend in with the other people that can't drive. Any type of driving behavior is acceptable if said driver has been drinking.

You really should read the Vermont Drivers Handbook if you're planning on registering a vehicle in this state so you'll better understand some of the obscure rules up here.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Hahahahah

^ What Mr. T said, except the "T" is an "R" sometimes, depending on your political affiliation. You did sign up to vote, right? Because it's kind of suspicious if not. You'll have to attend town meeting in March. Also if you have "new" plates with too many numbers, we'll take your money but we know you ain't from here. It's not just for the police, anybody can tell from your plate number. I think the drunk driving thing John mentioned is only in effect up where he is on the Eastern shore of NY. Around my area everybody is baked, so they just drive real slow.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

From the Vermont DMV site... I hope they know their own rule

Motorcycles
    Titleable motorcycles 300 cc’s or more last registered in another state are required to have a VIN verification from the Vermont personnel listed above.
    All used motorcycles 500 cc's or more being registered/titled in Vermont for the first time, regardless of model year are required to have a VIN verification from the Vermont personnel listed above.
    Email this page

The calculus of hate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast