Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Any Veteran Riders Out Near Palmer Willing Lend a Hand?

Any Veteran Riders Out Near Palmer Willing Lend a Hand?

I got my Hyper back from the mechanic yesterday and it still feels rough and surgy at low speeds and RPMs. It also stalls off idle when cold, though mechanic says it just needs to relearn idle after ecu swap. Anyone up for taking it for a spin and letting me know what you think? I just want to make sure I'm not crazy and that it really does feel off. It runs great at full throttle, but just feels wrong to me at low RPMs and low speeds. I feel like I am using the clutch far too much at low speed and it sounds a bit lopey. Your welcome to take a spin on my Z125 as well if you want to give it a go. You can come out to my place or I don't mind riding to you if your fairly close. My wife has a brisket going in the smoker that I'd be happy to share if you come out my way.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Any Veteran Riders Out Near Palmer Willing Lend a Hand?

Here is a picture with the boots and leathers I picked up to go with it:

What did the mechanic do to the bike?
    I've had a 749s and a 1098 with the Termignoni exhaust and ECU, and they both ran like shit. Lumpy at low RPM and didn't feel right unless I was wringing their neck. I had Seacoast dyno tune the 749, and it was like a different bike after. I sold the 1098 before doing anything about the way it ran, because I hated the bike anyway.

Ben Chovnick of Motoconsult did the work.

That's quite nice of ou offer to share your wife and the brisket like that.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by TwelveGaugeSage View Post
    Ben Chovnick of Motoconsult did the work.
    OK, but what did you have done? You said there was a new ECU, which makes me wonder if that means there's a new Termi exhaust with a new DP ECU in the bike.

Apologies, I read that wrong. It had the DP ECU from when the previous owner had the Termi exhaust installed. Ben wanted to put the stock ECU in to see if that made it run any better, so that is what is in it now. He checked the TBs synch, changed all the fluids and oil filter, and plugged an open vacuum line. I also had him put on turn signals that the PO broke off, and replace the burned out plate bulb. He also checked all the belts and safety items.

I took it for a short ride a little bit ago and it didn't seem as bad today. Didn't stall at all and seemed to be running a little smoother. It still surges a bit in 1st gear even in the higher RPMs and in the low RPMs in other gears. Going down a hill with no throttle gives a lot of exhaust popping, especially if I open the throttle a hair. I think at least a small part of this is simply perceived because of the noise from the dry clutch. That takes some getting used to.

Last edited by TwelveGaugeSage; 06-18-17 at 06:28 PM.

That helps. Honestly it's pretty tough to diagnose a bike from a computer, but from my experience a Power Commander and a custom tune are money well spent on these bikes. I can see where an open vacuum line would make it run poorly, but if it's still bad after plugging the line I would look elsewhere. What you describe is how my bikes ran without the tune.

I'm going to try the DP ECU and see if if feels better. The Ducati.ms guys seem to think that is the best first step. I still have some leftover brisket if anyone wants to give it a go on Monday though.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm only a cpl towns away, I'll let u take my softail for a spin and then you'll have no more complaints about the way the hyper runs.

Heh, I hated my dad's Sportster enough that I'm good. It ran nice, but everything about it felt annoyingly heavy. I have zero desire to ride itty bitty cruisers, let alone the bigger ones. I could see myself on a Vmax or a Diavel some day, but that's about as close as I see myself ever getting. The new little Harleys look a bit more my style. I've always preferred small standards to anything else. I think of cruisers as the 2-wheeled equivalent to what I drive at work: