Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Cylinder Head

Cylinder Head

Does anyone have any recommendations for a trusted mechanic who works on cylinder heads? Need good cleaning and some measurements taken. My story is this. I installed a 9r motor in my zx7. I had to have a motor mount aluminum filled due to the prior owners ignorance on installing a 9 into a 7. I discovered this after starting the motor (the motor started and ran prior to the weld). Anyway after having the head welded and reinstalling the head, I went to turn the motor over and I heard clapping. Uh oh, stopped turning the motor immediately. After reinstalling the 750 and about 2 months of sitting and contemplating I decided to check out the mess. Well much to my amazement the head "looks" to be in good shape. The valves are all there and seem to be straight and seated. I used a straight edge to get an idea of warpage and there appeared to be none. I inspected the pistons for scaring and only saw small marks on the exhaust side of the pistons and valves. I turned the motor manually (low end) to see if everything is on the up 'n up and thing turned nicely. Any problem I have is likely to be confined in the head, and I just wanted to have someone pull the rockers, valves, springs etc. and measure/inspect for bent parts.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Cylinder Head

Flip the head over, valve faces up, pour some gasoline into each chamber, and see if any leaks by the valve seats. You mention marks on the pistons and Exh. valves? Are there any shiny spots on the pistons? Look into the valve relief notches of the pistons, this will also tell you if the valves tagged the pistons.
    Sounds like a missaligned camshaft when it was reassembled after welding.

Either that, just go for a complete refurb anyway, fresh springs, 3 way grind, and fresh guides, and retainers. Replace any Valves that are iffy.... (out of round)

I used to do this kind of work, but all my gear has been sold long ago....

I'm not sure where you are from, but Harry's Machined Parts, or a guy by the name of Stanley Gardner, (used to, or still does work with those guys), would be good place to have the work done locally in Mass. Also, check out Tom Boucher in Rowley, he does automotive work, but he maybe able to help you too.

Damn, it's early..I just noticed you are from Peabody?
    I'm right up the street from you in Danvers.....

Last edited by TLRMan; 11-25-02 at 06:45 AM.
    Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

Cylinder Head

Thanks for the info......neighbor. I planned on doing exactly that....squirting some gas into the ports to check for leakage. I don't know how I could tell if they are outta round though. I didn't notice any big scratch marks on the pistons, just four small little smudges that correspond to slight abrasions on the exhaust valves. What is your estimate (ballpark) for a rebuild? I ask because I have a perfectly functioning zx7 head that is the same part number as the zx9 head (fortunate part of the zx7 & 9's for those years are common parts). If it's not too much though, I'd rather not tear into the 750 and have someone trustworthy do the cleaning and work.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Cylinder Head

Sounds like you got some tagged Valves there...
    If that's the case, then they are probably bent.
    As for price to to do the heads, I'm not sure what they charge these days, and it depends on what you have to replace for parts.
    Here's a number you can call....
    Rick Stetson is a cool guy, I watched his Pro Comp Suzuki hold off the Nitro Harley's back in the Early 80's.

Harry's Machined Parts
    Route 9 West, Northboro, MA
    508-366-1455
    Rick Stetson

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.