Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Vintage Honda Nighthawk 700 S

Vintage Honda Nighthawk 700 S

Found a 1985 for sale, red/black. I have been wanting one of these for some time just for nostalgic reasons (did not own one but my step-dad did and I later rode one several times in high school). To date the ones I have seen have been overpriced or hammered, but this one appears to be decent. Probably going to see it in person tonight and possibly make an offer - anyone owned one of these that can comment on specific items to be aware of? Anyone here wrenched on them?? I'd like to think it wouldn't be nearly as cunty to work on as the Honda V4's of that time but any input appreciated, thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Vintage Honda Nighthawk 700 S

I had the blue/black one, loved it. They were very maint. free compared to other bikes of the era, but now it's almost 30 years old. Common things- Rusty tank, gummy carbs, leaky motor/forks, front caliper/master never had a fluid change, electrical flakiness (the gear indicator and fuel gauge were cool though!). Just like any other I-4 UJM to work on, not bad. Mine smoked on startup, had 42K on it, likely valve stem seals. Plenty of power for what it was, lots of comments from folks who had/knew of one. 16" tires gave no options for modern radials, the shaft drive and hydraulic lifters were indeed maint. free. I had clutch slip, it was the springs not plates. Always had a stumble in the midrange, never could tune it out or clean the carbs well enough. The bars would wobble if I let go at speed, but never a problem when operated properly. Sold it for 900 registered, inspected and ride it home- able, with spare wheels, 3 exhaust systems and the factory service and owner's manual.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

i hear the yellow and black ones had issues chewing up 2nd gear and the head gaskets blowing

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Do some research on the motor, I had an 85 vf700 sabre that Honda supposedly fixed an issue with a lack of oil getting to the top two cylinders. Apparently they were running dry prior to re engineering the oil pick up or something to that effect in 84. Fuck I'm old

The Honda V4 'cam issue' was partially due to improper hardfacing on some cams, and an oil system that needed thinner oil. If you let your machine warm up before hammering it, even with the bad cams you were very unlikely to have pitting issues. On the flip side, even bikes with aftermarket modded oil delivery systems would still pit cams if driven hard right after thumbing the starter. Seemed to be more of an issue with the 1100s than 700s. Never saw any Honda part updates to the oil pickup, the aftermarket focused on updating the supply source and delivery lines to the heads with the belief that there was a constriction issue in the lines and banjos.

The Nighthawk S is an inline 4, very sturdy. There was an early '84 recall issue with oil weeping due to casting problems in the case halves, but I think they would have all been warrantied long time ago.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

It's the age that concerns me, but I searched a bit more today and there are some nice ones still around that hopefully wont have too many issues. A good friend has owned a blue black 84 since 1990. We beat the hell out of it as teenagers, but I believe the only failure was the starter and multiple fork seals until it was parked ten yrs ago. I put several hundred miles on that bike over the years. They've just caught my interest again and if I find one that hasn't been thrashed and priced right I will probably get it. The blue/black was the best color scheme..

I had an 86 with around 20k miles and I loved it. I really wish I kept it as it was a perfect all around bike and sounded incredible with the full Kerker! Mine weeped oil a bit from the seals on the head and may have burned a little as well. I had to add oil every 200 miles or so. If you can, take it on a long test drive and check before and after. I sold mine for $2400 last year so they are still worth something to the right buyer.