Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

giving up plates for the winter? make sense?

i am thinking of giving up my plates until april or may and saving a few bob off of my insurance but i'm wondering if it is really worth it. does anyone do this on a regular basis?

i'll have to pay the $20 for my plate again, but my insurance is $156/year or thereabouts. not a big savings for three months, but i'm also working on the bike and if i don't get it running the way it should... it might not ever see the road with me on it again. which would be a bummer, but that's another story

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

ins

I took the insurance off my bike when I put it in storage at South Sh Motorsports before since they're insured, this year I'm storing at my buddy's garage so I dropped the full coverage and have fire/theft/comprehensive incase (god forbid) it gets stolen somehow or garage burns down. If your insurance is $156 a year leave the plate on it, not worth the effort of reregistering, if your insurance is like mine, $1200 or so, it's worth takin the insurance down a notch for the winter, the collision is the big part of the bill for me...

Kevin
    '05 Warrior
    Quincy, MA
    AIM: BostonianR6

Dr Q : Last resort Medic Qfactor's Avatar

I returned my plates in late November. I pay $1,200/year. So I save $380 by not riding over the winter.

Q

"Ami blaireau, comme t'es nul au cronos..."

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."

i guess it's because I have an old-azz bike (79) and it only has the compulsory minimums on it (which I will change, thanks to the thread here on insurance).

In the 2 winters I had a bike, I kept it on the road because I barely saved any money (insurance was $201/year) re-registering it, and I rode through the winter on any day it was above 40 (and a few days below 40 too).