Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Volunteering for Patriot Guard Riders

Volunteering for Patriot Guard Riders

If you like to ride a motorcycle and want to do some community service, you might consider volunteering for the Patriot Guard Riders. It's quite simple to do so: you go to their website, register, look up your state contacts, and get on their mailing list.

The organization was formed in response to the Westboro Baptist Church, a hate group known infamously for picketing the funeral services of servicemen. Their mission:

Our main mission is to attend the funeral services of fallen American heroes as invited guests of the family. Each mission we undertake has two basic objectives:

Show our sincere respect for our fallen heroes, their families, and their communities.
    Shield the mourning family and their friends from interruptions created by any protestor or group of protestors.

We accomplish the latter through strictly legal and non-violent means.
    As a practical matter, not many funerals are picketed and they mostly hold flags surrounding the services. They are one of a number of support organizations that have formed to make sure that the sacrifices of service members are not forgotten, and bereaved families seem to appreciate their presence judging from the thank yous.

Today I participated in my first "mission" as they call them. PGR was invited by the family to be present at the burial of PFC David Mulno of Tewksbury. This was especially emotional for all as the young man [23] died in a crash of his 2004 Kawasaki Ninja near where he was stationed in Texas. His family recognized that he loved motorcycles and riding even in their grief over his death. No father expects to bury his son so as a former Army officer as well as a father and motorcycle rider, I found the funeral to be extremely emotional. I pretty much cry every time I hear Taps, but this one was especially tough.

The people participating today ranged from about 35 to 74. There were men and women, some veterans, some not. While cruisers predominate, there was a cross-section of Japanese and European bikes and even a trike. All are welcome and no one who participates cares who you are, what you ride, or anything else: it's 100% about supporting the bereaved family.

Most riders mount a US flag on their bike (small, large or in-between), but other than that there is no dress code or any required equipment. Their numbers have diminished a bit so don't worry about too many riders attending: you will always be welcome.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 08-24-12 at 05:42 PM.

Lifer

Re: Volunteering for Patriot Guard Riders

Excellent post, I've looked into this a bit and they seem like a good group.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't have known how to get involved without it.

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

There is a military funeral tomorrow in North Adams that WBC has threatened to protest. If you are interested in riding with PGR, pm me and I'll send you the info.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_214...rsicos-funeral

That funeral is today in North Adams.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.