Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VT RT 17 and pissed residents

VT RT 17 and pissed residents

So the reps for Bristol and Lincoln have a bill in the works to make it illegal to have anything but OEM exhaust on your bike. I said it earlier this season and got laughed at...well here it is.

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/docs/2010...ntro/H-733.pdf

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Not a chance of passing.

Re: VT RT 17 and pissed residents

They proposed this to the legislature on February 2nd. The representatives are clearly concerned about complaints from residents on Rt 17 and say so in the article above. http://motorcycle-vermont.com/front-...es-discussion/
    The proposed law doesn't state that you have to have OEM pipes on the bike. It sets an 80 decibels maximum noise level measured 50' from the vehicle during "normal" operation and prohibits removing, bypassing or modifying exhaust in a manner that causes the motorcycle to exceed the limit.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Right. Show me an aftermarket exhaust that'll do 80db from 50 ft under "normal" operating conditions. Dunno about you fellas but normal operating conditions on my bike is 5 to 6k on the tach.

To put it into perspective, a room with people talking will register over 70 decibels.

Pass or not, I don't care. 17 sucks imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    .... 17 sucks imo.
    I only go over 17 to get to the fun stuff.

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Not a chance of passing.
    Maine adopted a similar rule this year.

I have aftermarket pipes for my bike. I like them a lot. They can be obnoxiously loud. They even have "for race use only" stamped on them. Some sportbike rag had them rated at 98 decibles. That having been said, I can choose to go through town at 35 in 6th gear or in first. We all know the difference and have probably all chosen one gear or another based on how we were feeling that day. Just like speeding. We all pick our moments and take our chances with the consequences.

Quads and snowmobiles are already limited to their noise level (82 and 73 decibels) in Vermont. I think a law like this could pass but as it was pointed out to me, enforcement should be better described. Is it done at inspection stations or by providing law enforcement with more training and equipment?

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

I love 17 personally (as some members can attest ...however, I can understand how residents that live on the Bristol side can pressure the town reps to introduce a law such as this...however, for the bill to be effective, and contain proper diction, it really needs some intensive research. Both of my bikes would pass the 80db at 50' during normal ops...I'd like to think anyway (even though it doesn't matter anymore).
    And I'd almost support a bill like this, but I love the sound of Slyders Suzuki at 9k RPM, and my concern would be the police/trooper presence that this bill might mandate in the area.

That, and the B section...WTF?

(b) Any person selling or offering to sell a motorcycle or replacement
    muffler system, whether at wholesale or retail, shall include in the
    BILL AS INTRODUCED H.733
    specifications precise information concerning the designed maximum sound
    levels of the motorcycle or replacement muffler system.

Really? You are trying to dictate how someone is going to sell their property in the State?
    And Fisher likes motorcycles! I showed him the Aprilia when it was torn apart in my bike room...dissapointing to say the least.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon

Not a chance of passing.
    Similar? Or the same? The whole state?

When I'm having a nice lunch, at an outdoors patio, in a nice little NH or VT town, with a group of friends, and a couple of Fatboy Harleys go by and feel like they have to rev their loud, obnoxious, unrestricted exhausts to a deafening level to show how cool or 'bad' they are, I wish there was a law and an enforcement officer there to enforce it. Jackasses...

But of course, we, in the sportbike community, don't ever behave that way. And our bikes are never disturbingly loud. So, I can only assume, it's guilt by association.

Last edited by DucDave; 11-03-10 at 05:32 AM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

don't they usually do db testing from 12" from the end of the exhaust?
    that is how manufacturers test thier pipes, as well as the ama.
    50' where did they pull that number from, thier ass?

80 db is very low. You can yell louder than that

It is for selective taxation, now LEO can write you a ticket without observing
    you actually doing anything wrong. Just wait on the road stop and write.

Soon they will get what they really want which is for you not to go there

My niece has a home on 17 I wonder if its her cold left hand ......

125 FTW

State wide - the official inspection standard for exhaust is 'no louder than stock.' No DB limits, etc, if it's louder than the OEM system the bike shipped with, it's illegal.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon

State wide - the official inspection standard for exhaust is 'no louder than stock.' No DB limits, etc, if it's louder than the OEM system the bike shipped with, it's illegal.
    Holy shit.

Holy shit.
    Yea, Albuquerque passed the same law for all vehicles.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Holy shit.
    Yeah, in most places the police are telling people that they aren't bothering people unless they are being idiots with their pipes. Some areas like Portland and Old Orchard Beach went into full crackdown mode when the change went into effect in July, avoid those towns if you ride.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    When I'm having a nice lunch, at an outdoors patio, in a nice little NH or VT town, with a group of friends, and a couple of Fatboy Harleys go by and feel like they have to rev their loud, obnoxious, unrestricted exhausts to a deafening level to show how cool or 'bad' they are, I wish there was a law and an enforcement officer there to enforce it. Jackasses...

But of course, we, in the sportbike community, don't ever behave that way. And our bikes are never disturbingly loud. So, I can only assume, it's guilt by association.
    Sportbikes coming by my house make just as much noise as harleys coming by my house and they more often than not are coming by much faster and breaking more laws. The sportbike 'community' ride like assholes.

Reading the bill it looks very incomplete in the wording to me.

When and if it reaches the judiciary committee , the specifics of the Db levels and measurements will need to be greatly defined .

The modification wording is scary, but 80 Db at 50 feet at idle wouldn't be to constricting

But, what do I know I have stock pipes on my Busa and like being in stealth mode.

TIMMYDUCK

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Sportbikes coming by my house make just as much noise as harleys coming by my house and they more often than not are coming by much faster and breaking more laws. The sportbike 'community' ride like assholes.
    +1

I live on a straight stretch of road and sportbikes are constantly winding it out past my house, sometimes on 1 wheel.

Can't pin this one on Harleys.

Sarcasm guys...

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I think we all know that harleys make more noise issues than sportbike do. Regardless of how loud a sportbike can be...they aren't running unrestricted straight pipes like most HDs. There is a highway on ramp literally in my back yard and while I hear my fair share of sportbike debauchery....for every 1 sportbike that goes by making a shitload of noise there are 6 HDs.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Boston prohibits anything without an EPA approval, which is effectively OEM. "The ordinance, which went into effect June 21, levies a $300 fine on riders whose exhaust pipes lack the Environmental Protection Agency’s seal of approval.

We can thank the dickhead straight-pipe Harley crowd for that. There is a guy in Southie who lives 0.7 miles away on the other side of a hill, and I can hear him take off.

Never seen or heard of a single bike being ticketed. I spent 10 minutes trying to find the EPA approval on my [black] V-Strom muffler and I knew where it was supposed to be. But this is where things are headed.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    My point exactly....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I have more sound coming out of my airbox than my KLR muffler. Quite literally.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast