Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Warm Gloves

Warm Gloves

Starting to get a bit chillier out there & I'm already having flashbacks to riding last year with my Teknic Speedstars & numb hands.

Can some of you recommend warmer gloves for colder weather riding? I'd like to keep with the gauntlet style & a decent amount of protection. Mine are great in the summer, but highway riding when its in the 40s/50s was numbing my fingers in about 10/15 minutes. Even around town was pretty bad after about 20-30.

Thanks,

Sam

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Warm Gloves

Mostly on-topic: Heated grips are wonderful.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ahh yes, I have heard this. Not sure I'm ready for that leap yet but it is definitely filed away.

Lifer

$6, shipped

Just sayin'.

I just picked up a pair of http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/h...r-n-dry-gloves for short money at Moto Market. Not heated gloves, but warm for sure.

I have some scott snowmobile gloves I used to use when riding in the winter. A little less mobility but very warm.

I don't even have a street bike anymore and they were worn once or twice... I'd sell them to you for 50 bucks if you want.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Ditto, I bought snowmobile gloves at Moto Market. The grips aren't bad.

I wear a pair of Cortech Scarabs winter gloves.

Full gauntlet, hard (carbon fiber?) knuckle protector as well as a hard wrist protector, 3m thinsulate insulation. Best pair of winter riding gloves for under $100 IMHO.

If you're in between sizes, go a size up to accommodate the insulation, trust me on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

i've worn latex gloves under my riding gloves & that was good enough for me.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Gerbing heated gloves FTW!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post

Full gauntlet, hard (carbon fiber?) knuckle protector as well as a hard wrist protector, 3m thinsulate insulation. Best pair of winter riding gloves for under $100 IMHO.

If you're in between sizes, go a size up to accommodate the insulation, trust me on this one.

What temperatures would you say they are good down to? And how long would say it's tolerable to ride in given tempetature? I keep flip flopping on pulling the trigger on heated gloves. These look like a good compromise.

Lifer

Those look cool.

I have an old set of thinsulate insulated gloves that may very well be snowmobile gloves. They suck. They are warm down to temps I don't dare ride in. But they are very inflexible and you loose so much dexterity it is ridiculous. I bet those Cortechs have similar problems.

I wonder how electric glove liners like these stack up.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    What temperatures would you say they are good down to? And how long would say it's tolerable to ride in given tempetature? I keep flip flopping on pulling the trigger on heated gloves. These look like a good compromise.
    As long as you properly insulate your core (i.e. good jacket with liner, wearing layers if needed) They're good down to 30-35. If it's hotter then 55-60 you're hands are gonna start to sweat.

Just make sure you order a size up. It's hard to explain why, but you don't want your fingers pressed against the leather, thus losing the effect of the insulation, if that makes any sense.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and these aren't bad dexterity wise. There's nothing like your summer gloves, but I can still easily operate all the controls (including the switchgear) with relative ease.

Last edited by Rossco; 09-11-12 at 03:06 PM.
    ...I have your pants!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    $6, shipped

Just sayin'.
    I'm guessing these are one time use type things? Probably switching bikes next season...although maybe a potential buyer would find it to be a nice upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by lord1234 View Post
    I just picked up a pair of http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/h...r-n-dry-gloves for short money at Moto Market. Not heated gloves, but warm for sure.
    Short money??! Your company hiring?

Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    I have some scott snowmobile gloves I used to use when riding in the winter. A little less mobility but very warm.

I don't even have a street bike anymore and they were worn once or twice... I'd sell them to you for 50 bucks if you want.
    This could work...do you know the model so I can look them up?

These look pretty solid too- how long have you had em though? How are they holding up? I had a Cortech backpack & it fell apart at the seams in one season. That's the only experience I've had with the company so far.

As long as you properly insulate your core (i.e. good jacket with liner, wearing layers if needed) They're good down to 30-35. If it's hotter then 55-60 you're hands are gonna start to sweat.

Just make sure you order a size up. It's hard to explain why, but you don't want your fingers pressed against the leather, thus losing the effect of the insulation, if that makes any sense.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and these aren't bad dexterity wise. There's nothing like your summer gloves, but I can still easily operate all the controls (including the switchgear) with relative ease.
    Thanks, those look nice. I'll have to try and find them in stock somewhere. I have been wearing snowboarding gloves in temps down to 20* and I know what you mean about having that cushion where you want them a bit larger. My warmest gloves are fleece lined and a bit loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    i've worn latex gloves under my riding gloves & that was good enough for me.
    Same here, and if you have the room UA makes some nice glove liners that work well.

Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleBallz View Post
    These look pretty solid too- how long have you had em though? How are they holding up? I had a Cortech backpack & it fell apart at the seams in one season. That's the only experience I've had with the company so far.
    I've had mine for 2 years now. If I had to guess how many miles that these gloves have seen, I'd say about close to 10k. I know that these gloves got a lot of use this last winter due to the lack of snow. They have never been crashed in, so I cannot attest to that, but they seem pretty sturdy. They have seen quite a bit of rain, but I don't recommend them for riding in the rain as they aren't quite waterproof. The leather isn't as supple as it was out of the box, but I'm guessing that a quick conditioning should restore that.

I just took these out to inspect them, they've been put away since April. Overall the seams are holding up pretty well, but they are starting to show their age.

For starters, the gloves come with a gel panel on the palm, which is covered in a nylon-stitched overlay. This is just starting to get frayed, however it appears to be only cosmetic and doesn't appear to seriously compromise the safety of the glove.

The only other serious wear that these gloves have is the thumb in the left-hand glove. The stitching appears to be quite frayed, albeit still quite intact. This is most likely due to having to use the switch for the turn signals.

Other then that, there are about a dozen of these little loose threads on the pair. Nothing too serious, just your usual wear and tear.

I would not hesitate to use these gloves for another year. Only time will tell how they will look when I dig'em out next September. Even then if they needed to be replaced, I would buy another pair of Scarabs in a heartbeat.

...I have your pants!!!

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

If you have big hands like mine, these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Held-Motorcy...2af1e3&vxp=mtr are excellent. My first pair lasted 7 years and are still usable. I'm on my second pair now.

Thanks Rossco for taking the time to post all that up. Much appreciated.

FWIW, I have ridden in temps down to 17ºF using my Triumph's heated grips in combination with the Gerbings heated gloves, and had very happy hands. The gloves are connected to the Gerbings heated jacket liner, and my torso appreciates that. I've yet to need the pant liner nor electric socks, though I wouldn't rule them out. I may someday add them.

With the temps today I'm reminded that I need to install the heated grip kit onto my Tiger 800. I have had the kit sitting here all summer. I picked it up used for $100, never installed.

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    FWIW, I have ridden in temps down to 17ºF using my Triumph's heated grips in combination with the Gerbings heated gloves, and had very happy hands. The gloves are connected to the Gerbings heated jacket liner, and my torso appreciates that. I've yet to need the pant liner nor electric socks, though I wouldn't rule them out. I may someday add them.

With the temps today I'm reminded that I need to install the heated grip kit onto my Tiger 800. I have had the kit sitting here all summer. I picked it up used for $100, never installed.
    Be very careful when fishing those tiny connectors out of the bars. I broke one when I did the install.

I've always just used heated grips with whatever gloves I ran that summer, though I might break down soon and get heated gloves too.

Heated grips are a better investment as far as I'm concerned than another set of gloves. Add a jacket liner to that and life is good!

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Thanks for the warning, I appreciate that. I had no such troubles putting the same grips on my Sprint RS over 10 years ago, but those had solid bars with just a groove along the outside for the wires to follow. The painful part of that installation was cutting the rectagular hole in the pristine upper fairing for the roacker switch. At least with the Tiger 800's it's a bolt-on switch.

As for the heated gloves, I'll tell you it's the best of both worlds having both sides of your hands toasty warm! On my RS, the switch had two on positions....warm and OUCH!

Lifer

I like the heated grips because they work with any gloves and they are always with you. I have no doubt they are less effective though.

I've found you have to get the right gloves to wear with heated grips. Too much insulation/padding on the palm makes the grips less effective.

To the OP, I wear a pair of Weiss winter(ish) gloves now that I bought at moto market last year. Beyond 45-50, they are not all that helpful. My friend wears the Cortech Scarabs and loves them.

The same is true with heated jacket liners. If there's no airspace around the out jacket (meaning if everything fits too tight), the heating just isn't as effective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast