Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

warm weather gear

Re: warm weather gear

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    For really warm weather, I use a Vanson Vent-Max. Not the most protective but flows air like you don't have it on and offers some protection.
    I have Vanson vent max and it has a CE rated back pad. I'm pretty sure the shoulder and elbow are too. I have one for sale if anyone is interested.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...es-jacket.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I wear an Alpinestars T-GP-R Air Jacket. Great airflow and great protection after upgrading to the A*Stars Bionic chest and back protectors. I also like that it comes in white. Not sure why you would want an all black summer jacket.

Lifer

Why black? Because that's 98% of what they sell. Especially on clearance and closeout.

I have that same jacket. I rode today for about an hour home from work. My bike read 97-98 most of the way home. I was also wearing Vanson riding jeans and a black helmet and black gloves. I really regret my helmet color choice. That aside I was hot, but not unbearable. I got caught in a little bit of traffic in Providence as well. I should add that I work outdoors all day so I am a little more comfortable outside than an office person.

On a side note: The high only hit 82 at my house in Fairhaven. I love the Ocean!

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i went out for a bit this evening.
    -helmet
    -shorty gloves
    -dickies shorts
    -t shirt
    -sneakers

it was nice as long as you werent stopped

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    i went out for a bit this evening.
    -helmet
    -shorty gloves
    -dickies shorts
    -t shirt
    -sneakers

it was nice as long as you werent stopped
    ...or sliding aross pavement.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

I was riding all day in my 15 lbs of thick Vanson Cowhide. It was "warm" in waiting pit lane!

Seriously though, ANY mesh jacket is an AMAZING upgrade from regular ventilated gear. I have an alpinestars that does the job, but quality is a little lacking IMO. A buddy of mine got a really nice Frank Thomas mesh jacket. Much better quality. Get a silver/grey jacket. Reflects the heat a bit while stopped.

Paul_E_D

At some point, it's so hot that mesh stops working.

I felt like I was riding behind the worlds biggest hair dryer yesterday and I wonder if i would have been better off with a wind-barrier layer.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Cortech GX Air jacket -- mesh body, but leather panels on the shoulders, back, and elbows, with quality armor underneath. And it comes with a two-piece waterproof/thermal liner, so it's actually a really versatile jacket.

--mark
    Quote Originally Posted by imstuner View Post
    I have a RS Taichi Armed High Protection Mesh Jacket and love it. I got it for $260.00 shipped and it has all CE armor with a Knox back pad.

I would call them for better price.

http://www.taichimoto.com/rs-taichi-...mesh-jacket-1/

•Heavy duty polyester mesh outer construction.
    •T-DRY inner liner
    •Removable and adjustable CE Hard protectors on elbows and shoulders.
    •Removable and adjustable hard Chest Protector and CE Back ProtectorEVA
    •Molded PU outer protection on shoulders and elbows
    •EVA foam padding on collarbone, ribs, and back
    •Wind Stop Inner Jacket (RSU232) equipped to adjust to temperature.
    •Flex action panel on elbow and back of shoulders
    •Reflection print for increased visibility at night.
    •Stretch knit on back of neck
    •Adjusters on upper arms and forearms for better fit
    •Waist adjuster for better fit
    •Belt loop connection tab on back
    •CPS (Chest Protector System) equipped

Attachment 30181
    those both look nice

Quote Originally Posted by pontifex View Post
    I wear an Alpinestars T-GP-R Air Jacket. Great airflow and great protection after upgrading to the A*Stars Bionic chest and back protectors. I also like that it comes in white. Not sure why you would want an all black summer jacket.
    years ago when I was looking for a mesh jacket all the stuff I found looked incredibly flimsy. most notably the JR stuff. felt like I had as much protection as a t-shirt. Alpine Stars had just come out with T-Stunt Air which is the first version of this T=GP Air. much sturdier and its what I have. haven't worn it in years though.

Quote Originally Posted by reks95 View Post
    At some point, it's so hot that mesh stops working.

I felt like I was riding behind the worlds biggest hair dryer yesterday and I wonder if i would have been better off with a wind-barrier layer.
    In some cases, yes, a wind barrier is significantly better. Check out http://www.ldcomfort.com/productuse.htm

I have a Revvit! Ignition jacket. The front where your abs (or my gut) is full mesh. The shoulders and elbows are leather with CE armor. It's a great compromise for me. However I do reach a certain point where I would just rather drive than go change into under armor drawers, socks, jeans, then put the helmet jacket gloves and boots on.

wet t shirt

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Posting Freak

In the interest of safety and comfort I subjected myself to the last two days of commuting during peak heat times- 3-11P so that I can test a theory that relates to this thread.
    Bike- 2006 BMW R1200RT, windshield highest position.
    Wed-Temp to work, rte 495-100degrees! I wore Astars textile suit similar to this one but an older discontinued model with no venting- http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2819. Underneath I wore a long sleeve Pantagonia breathable lightweight base layer shirt, and Heavy cotton shorts. Of course riding boots and excellent Lee Parks deerskin summer gloves.
    Thurs- Temp, 99 degrees. I wore a Firstgear Mesh jacket, Klim lightweight (I think they are actually for dirt riding) overpants with some venting in the thighs and crotch area, light armour. Nike Drytech (or whatever they call it) T shirt. Same shirts and gloves.

Results: I defineatly felt hotter today (Thurs) while riding. Toward the end of the ride I could really feel myself starting to sweat and feel really uncomfortable. I couldn't wait to get some water and get into the AC!!
    Yesterday I was hot (hell it's hot out!!!) but the fact that the hot air wasn't getting to my core helped to keep me more comfortable.
    I've always read that the professionals keep their skin covered when riding in temps HIGHER than their body temp, some even swear by leather even when it's super hot!! And by trying this little experiment, I've realised that they are correct. If the outside air temp is higher than your body temp it only makes sense that that air is going to raise your temp. If the air is slightly cooler (but I would guess that it would be best to be at least 10 degrees cooler) than yes vented/mesh gear would def. help to keep one cooler. I know that when I wear the mesh jacket in temps below 80 I really feel the cooling effects.
    So, what have I learned? Well the dudes going the other way in tank tops and shorts were doing nothing constructive in trying to keep cooler (I won't even get into the safety part here)..........If you want to keep your core temp at it's absolute minimum---keep the HOT air off of it!
    I've got all kinds of gear (I'm a gear junkie) so I might as well use it!
    The biggest PITA of dressing this way when its 100 degrees---answering the same old "Hell, ain't you hot in all that shit?" when I get to work.
    Oh well, live and learn.
    Carry on......

Last edited by Tricklidz; 06-21-12 at 05:42 PM.

Anyone have experience with this jacket? I found it on closeout but cant find a single review of it online. Very rare to see...

http://www.amazon.com/Scorpion-Urban.../dp/B003INIU2G

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tricklidz View Post
    In the interest of safety and comfort I subjected myself to the last two days of commuting during peak heat times- 3-11P so that I can test a theory that relates to this thread.
    Wed-Temp to work, rte 495-100degrees! I wore Astars textile suit similar to this one but an older discontinued model with no venting- http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2819. Underneath I wore a long sleeve Pantagonia breathable lightweight base layer shirt, and Heavy cotton shorts. Of course riding boots and excellent Lee Parks deerskin summer gloves.
    Thurs- Temp, 99 degrees. I wore a Firstgear Mesh jacket, Klim lightweight (I think they are actually for dirt riding) overpants with some venting in the thighs and crotch area, light armour. Nike Drytech (or whatever they call it) T shirt. Same shirts and gloves.

Results: I defineatly felt hotter today (Thurs) while riding. Toward the end of the ride I could really feel myself starting to sweat and feel really uncomfortable. I couldn't wait to get some water and get into the AC!!
    Yesterday I was hot (hell it's hot out!!!) but the fact that the hot air wasn't getting to my core helped to keep me more comfortable.
    I've always read that the professionals keep their skin covered when riding in temps HIGHER than their body temp, some even swear by leather even when it's super hot!! And by trying this little experiment, I've realised that they are correct. If the outside air temp is higher than your body temp it only makes sense that that air is going to raise your temp. If the air is slightly cooler (but I would guess that it would be best to be at least 10 degrees cooler) than yes vented/mesh gear would def. help to keep one cooler. I know that when I wear the mesh jacket in temps below 80 I really feel the cooling effects.
    So, what have I learned? Well the dudes going the other way in tank tops and shorts were doing nothing constructive in trying to keep cooler (I won't even get into the safety part here)..........If you want to keep your core temp at it's absolute minimum---keep the HOT air off of it!
    The biggest PITA of dressing this way when its 100 degrees---answering the same old "Hell, ain't you hot in all that shit?" when I get to work.
    Oh well, live and learn.
    Carry on......
    I actually read a professional study about this recently. I'll try to find it so I can link you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricklidz View Post

Oh well, live and learn.
    Carry on......
    I never thought of it that way. pretty interesting and makes sense.

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    I never thought of it that way. pretty interesting and makes sense.
    Neither has anyone riding a Harley it seems!!!

Wirelessly posted

Do they wear shorts and tank tops in the desert?

Paul_E_D

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Wirelessly posted

Do they wear shorts and tank tops in the desert?
    NO!!!
    warm weather gear-rub-al-khali-desert_arabs-desert_14739-a

If it's really hot sometimes I put a Cryopack under my jacket. Makes quite a difference. There's also a "freezable" vest you can buy, and some desert coolers that hold water and cool by evaporation.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    There's also a "freezable" vest you can buy, and some desert coolers that hold water and cool by evaporation.
    Veskimo. I haven't used one but have heard good things about them. http://www.veskimo.com/

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    ...or sliding aross pavement.
    ya, well after riding in phoenix 365 days a year for 8 years in shorts and a t shirt im not all that concerned about riding here. ive paid my pavement dues and learned how to be a very good defensive rider.
    i was out for cruise. if i plan on doing any "spirited" riding i dress accordingly.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12