Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Warning Milford, NH loud pipe crack down.

Warning Milford, NH loud pipe crack down.

They have those led how fast you going signs all over town about straight pipes fines starting at $100.00, 200.00 & 500.00.

I saw 4 harelys and one sport bike being pulled over today Just a warning they are cracking down. They are checking pipes.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bikeless

Re: Warning Milford, NH loud pipe crack down.

Good! You want to destroy your hearing ... that is ok.

Destroying every one else around you is another matter.
    When I hear a bike that is 3/4 of a mile ahead of me on the highway over my radio, I'd say there is a problem.

bout' time. fuckin drag pipes...

I might move to Milford!

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

Good to know.
    Where in Milford were they checking people?

Woot! no more D&D exhausts! My ears are already thanking the cops for once.

Now if the rest of the state would follow suit...
    266:59-a Motorcycle Noise Levels. –
    I. No person shall operate a motorcycle which has a measured noise level of more than 106 decibels on the decibel meter when measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe at a 45 degree angle while the engine is operating at 2,800 revolutions per minute for one and 2 cylinder motorcycles and 3,500 revolutions per minute for any motorcycle with 3 or more cylinders.
    II. No person shall pass for the purposes of the inspection required by RSA 266:1 any motorcycle which has a measured noise level of more than 106 decibels on the decibel meter when measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe at a 45 degree angle while the engine is operating at 2,800 revolutions per minute for one and 2 cylinder motorcycles and 3,500 revolutions per minute for any motorcycle with 3 or more cylinders.
    II-a. No person shall operate in this state any motorcycle which produces a sound level in excess of 106 decibels on the A scale, when measured in accordance with the provisions of the Society of Automotive Engineers Recommended Practice ANSI/SAE J-1287 annual report on "Measurement of Exhaust Sound Levels of Stationary Motorcycles.''
    III. Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than $300.

i got hassled there a long time ago

I like my cool old bike. Ericthejet's Avatar

If I went there I would be hassled. My Hindle is a bit over the top.

You guys are so fast to pass judgement the poor sap with the sportbike had nothing more than a Yoshi pipe. How many of you here have aftermarket pipes well your screwed if you do they are sticking there batons down the exhaust If nothing hits it your shit out of luck.

KillBill
    it was on 101a as your coming from shaws the baseball field on your right is where they were set up.

Bikeless

I would have a shit load more but the forum software limits me to 50.

It is called respect for the people who's lives you are interupting with that loud blatting noise where conversations ceases for 5 minutes till you get out of earshot. I have a small penis so I gotta compensate and make loud noises ...

I got a pipe on my bike. I do keep my revs down when I am in town and around neighborhoods.

[QUOTE=Sidewinder;501134]You guys are so fast to pass judgement the poor sap with the sportbike had nothing more than a Yoshi pipe. How many of you here have aftermarket pipes well your screwed if you do they are sticking there batons down the exhaust If nothing hits it your shit out of luck.

QUOTE]

Bingo! all the judgemental can't do no friggin wrong on here makes me want to puke.
    Most of the peeps on here don't even now how this site got started..
    Fuck it I'm going for a spin on my ape-hangered long shot pipe 85 shovel chop

eat me

eh, my akra pipe is loud as shit and ive never once been hassled in the 3 years ive been running it. it is way over the top though and even im starting to get sick of it

"Chatbox...It's like Vegas, for your fingers."

Originally Posted by CBR_Knight
    in my own thread, let me post this:
    first of all, nothing about sex or play with a female seems interesting or arousing to me....

"BALLS" is coming home late after a night out with the guys smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the ass and having the balls to say "you're next!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    You guys are so fast to pass judgement the poor sap with the sportbike had nothing more than a Yoshi pipe. How many of you here have aftermarket pipes well your screwed if you do they are sticking there batons down the exhaust If nothing hits it your shit out of luck.

KillBill
    it was on 101a as your coming from shaws the baseball field on your right is where they were set up.
    I'll start taking the bypass from now on. I try to avoid the Milford Ovary...i mean Rotary at all costs

106 decibels on the decibel meter when measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe at a 45 degree angle while the engine is operating at 2,800 revolutions per minute for one and 2 cylinder motorcycles and 3,500 revolutions per minute for any motorcycle with 3 or more cylinders
    nh law on loud pipes is very lenient, especially for sport twins, while harleys are getting loud @ 2800rpm cause it's their mid range, a sport twin is barely above tickover

my SV with its burnt out V& H met the 106db limit @ 2800 rpm, but was well over 120db @ 6000 rpm and an ear splitting 140db as you approached redline

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Posting Freak

My TL is pretty loud, but not at 2800rpm.
    I'd like to avoid any interaction with John Law just the same

Quote Originally Posted by Bowflex View Post
    Woot! no more D&D exhausts! My ears are already thanking the cops for once.

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."

What does being able to stick a baton down an exhaust have to do with noise levels? The law doesn't say to check the the sound level with a baton. Seems like a way easy ticket to beat if thats all they are doing.

I got a ticket in Portsmouth, RI a few years ago with my car for a loud exhaust. Cop was a real jerk. I was polite at first but then gave up and just flat out argued with the guy. Handed me a ticket and said "see you in court". I replied with "Ill be and there and I'll win". Went to court with video measuring the sound levels of the car taken according to the statute. I was 9dB under the limit. That made my car quieter than the limit by 8 times! Needless to say I won.

so how are they gauging 2800 rpm and decibel level?

Do they have a unit on sight or are they estimating?

I have to say that a lot of people bashing Harley's are the pot calling the kettle. I hear all kinds of sport bikes that are a hell of a lot louder than most "drag pipes". Take a run down Amherst St at night, and see all the throttle monkeys bouncing off the rev limiter at a red light. Does this make any sense? yet I have yet to see a single Harley rider that pins his throttle at a stand still. I can understand that people choose their style of riding for their own reasons. I ride both and enjoy both, but for a lot of people who cannot ride a sport bike, cruisers are a viable option. For people who cant ride cruisers, because they may have lost a limb or are not able to ride on 2 wheels, then trikes are the way to go.
    All this crap about one being better than the other is crap, I thought this site was not another SBN clone......can someone get original?

I like cats.......but I can't eat a whole one by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by banzairx7 View Post
    What does being able to stick a baton down an exhaust have to do with noise levels? The law doesn't say to check the the sound level with a baton. Seems like a way easy ticket to beat if thats all they are doing.

I got a ticket in Portsmouth, RI a few years ago with my car for a loud exhaust. Cop was a real jerk. I was polite at first but then gave up and just flat out argued with the guy. Handed me a ticket and said "see you in court". I replied with "Ill be and there and I'll win". Went to court with video measuring the sound levels of the car taken according to the statute. I was 9dB under the limit. That made my car quieter than the limit by 8 times! Needless to say I won.

I think NH law require baffles in mufflers reguardless of the noise limit.

Quote Originally Posted by noudidnt View Post
    so how are they gauging 2800 rpm and decibel level?

Do they have a unit on sight or are they estimating?

I have to say that a lot of people bashing Harley's are the pot calling the kettle. I hear all kinds of sport bikes that are a hell of a lot louder than most "drag pipes". Take a run down Amherst St at night, and see all the throttle monkeys bouncing off the rev limiter at a red light. Does this make any sense? yet I have yet to see a single Harley rider that pins his throttle at a stand still. I can understand that people choose their style of riding for their own reasons. I ride both and enjoy both, but for a lot of people who cannot ride a sport bike, cruisers are a viable option. For people who cant ride cruisers, because they may have lost a limb or are not able to ride on 2 wheels, then trikes are the way to go.
    All this crap about one being better than the other is crap, I thought this site was not another SBN clone......can someone get original?

Well done this man. Couldn't agree more as at the end of the day we are all on two wheels .

eat me

Paragraph IV must be what they suddenly decided to enforce.

266:59 Muffler; Prevention of Noise. –
    I. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler as defined in RSA 259:66, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a way.
    II. The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes, smoke, flame, gas, oil or fuel residue.
    III. [Repealed.]
    IV. No person shall operate a motor vehicle with a straight pipe exhaust system; "straight pipe exhaust system'' means any straight- through exhaust system that does not contain baffles or otherwise does not meet the definition of muffler in RSA 259:66. Any person who violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less than $100 for a first offense, not less than $250 for a second offense in a calendar year, and not less than $500 for a third or subsequent offense in a calendar year.
    Source. 1913, 81:5. 1921, 119:11. PL 103:14. RL 119:23. RSA 263:46. 1961, 205:1. 1981, 146:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1982. 2004, 259:1, eff. June 16, 2004. 2005, 266:1, eff. Aug. 21, 2005.
    259:66 Muffler. – "Muffler'' shall mean a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffleplates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gases and effectively reducing noise.
    Source. 1913, 81:5. 1921, 119:11. PL 103:14. RL 119:23. RSA 263:46, IV. 1961, 205:1. 1981, 146:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1982.

drag pipes are jackass along with shorty/hollowed "race" cans on sport bikes. i used to live in a duplex 20 ft of the road and couldn't hear my tv and the couch vibrated when a harly went by and yes 95% of the time it was a harly. i'm not biased though i hate them all. the bikes i've had all had slip-ons for performance/looks first. my fz1 can was way to loud so off it went for another. i run cans that are almost stock quiet at idle then get louder as the rpm's climb that way when i'm in town i can pull the clutch and coast by 5.0 quietly. theres a point were loud stops being cool and becomes annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    nh law on loud pipes is very lenient, especially for sport twins, while harleys are getting loud @ 2800rpm cause it's their mid range, a sport twin is barely above tickover

my SV with its burnt out V& H met the 106db limit @ 2800 rpm, but was well over 120db @ 6000 rpm and an ear splitting 140db as you approached redline
    +1

Being up in NH for the long weekend, i'd have to agree. Every other bike (mostly cruisers and most of them were harleys) were loud as hell.

Plus every harley guy that's heard my sport twin has said "my bikes much louder than that."

my RC is def way louder than 106db at 2800 rpm and for those that have them, know you cant even ride it at 2800 rpm. Ive had an 04 with Sato Banzai's and the current 02 with a full 2-1 custom Jardine... never been hassled. Even at bike weeks on either bike.

2002 RC51
    -Aluminum undertail, custom GP Can and mid-pipe, Jardine 2-1 Header, PC3, EBC Wave Rotors (F&R), CRG's, Goodridge SS Lines, Greggs, Black w/ Flattening and some carbon goodies

USMC - Semper Fi
    POW/MIA - Not Forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast