Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Help me decide the best Course of Action for Speeding Ticket...

Help me decide the best Course of Action for Speeding Ticket...

So I got my first speeding ticket on my bike, and second ever.

Me, My friend Jon(Royal690 on here), and one of our other friends were heading up to Franconia NH last weekend from Boston, about 150 miles. It's freezing out, close to midnight, and we're about 30 miles away.

We were not driving irratically, we were at a constant pace, in the right lane, moving to the left lane to go around cars traveling slower than us, and then switching back to the right lane once around. All of us were wearing gear.

While cruising, the leader rolls off the gas suddenly because he notices a cop about a mile ahead. We get within about half a mile, he flicks the blues on and pulls out. Then out of nowhere, lights go on probably 5 feet behind me (I was in the back of the pack) from a Charger with no light bar.

I pull over, immediately, and she goes around me around a slight bend so I can no longer see her, the other cruiser, or my friends. I stay pulled over, I'm not one to run from cops. After waiting for probably 5-10 minutes on the side of the road, I decided to start driving, because sitting on the shoulder at night is not my favorite place to be. Just as I put my kickstand up i see the blues coming down the other side of the highway and romp over the grass highway divider. I put my kickstand back down.

She pulls behind me, gets out, asks me for my license and registration. I pull my license out of my wallet in my jacket pocket, then tell her my registration is under the seat. She takes my license then instructs me to pull off the next exit ramp where my friends are with the other cruiser. She then tells me I was pulled over for doing 88 in a 65. I follow her instructions and park next to my friends. She tells us she was following us for miles, while she called ahead to the other cruiser cause she figured we would run from her.

She then tells us that we were going faster than 88 but that was the highest speed she was able to clock us at. My friend is shivering cause its so cold out, and she asks if he's been drinking, and all of that, which he obviously wasn't. I get my ticket first, inspect it.....350 bucks, ouch. We all get the same ticket, then are sent on our way.

We finally get to franconia and inspect the tickets more closely. On only one of them, not mine, did she check off that she actually clocked him, the rest did not specify how she determined our speed, just that we were doing 88 in a 65

We decide we're going to fight the tickets, but don't know which plan we want to go with.

Plan A. All mail the tickets in on the same day, and try to get the same court date so we can carpool up to the courthouse. Our plan of attack, once there, if we even get the same court date. Is to try to plead that we all have great driving records, that we were operating safely, and possibly bring up the good ol "when was the radar last calibrated" and hope to get lucky.

Plan B. If we go up at different times, we can all try to use the same excuse. "My spedometer never read over 65, she must have clocked one of the three bikes rolling on the gas at some point, not my bike" I think this one could be effective for the bikes she didn't check off that she actually clocked us. Along with our good driving records, and we can again use the calibration excuse and see if we get lucky.

Plan C. Mail in the ticket on the 29th day, the defer it as long as possible in hopes that she'll send someone else to represent her who will not be as detailed, than use the same excuses as above.

None of us ever admitted what speed we were going to the cop, nor did any of us admit fault to speeding.

any thoughts? I've never fought a ticket before, cause I've only gotten 1 in my car in Maine, which didnt carry over insurance wise to MA. Will NH tickets carry over insurance wise to MA?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Re: Help me decide the best Course of Action for Speeding Ticket...

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Lifer

1.) Radar wasn't used, it's calibration doesn't matter, the calibration of her speedometer could, on a longshot that will likely get you no where.

2.) Whatever your speedometer says doesn't matter. A broken or miss-reading speedometer does not absolve you from going faster than the speed limit.

3.) Not checking off a method for determining your speed on the ticket is a possibility for getting it thrown out. If it were me with that option I would not want to be in front of the judge with 2 or 3 other friends all claiming the same story. How many breaks do you think he's going to hand out?

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

In hibernation

Jay,

With a good record, you're best bet is to show for court. I would go in expecting to be found guilty, however explain to the judge you were following a group in an area you were unfamilar with late at night, that you didnt realize you were travelling as quickly as you were (and note that the tropper did not indicate how you were 'clocked' on the summons) combined with a good record, you will likely not get the full fine. (just from NH experience)

... and yes NH and MA are recipricol with points so any guilty verdict will affect your record in MA

Ouch that sucks jay. I vote on not going in on the same day with everyone.

Going in together is definitely a bad idea....and it is unlikely to happen that way anyways. A clean driving record goes a long way with the magistrate. When I was younger, I would routinely get tickets thrown out becuase my driving record was really clean. Now I drive much more responsibly, and of course, the one ticket I got sticks.....go figure.

#1, I wouldn't have sat there on the side of the road, unless she pulled in behind you I would have waited a minute or two after she zipped past, and then kept going down the highway. It isn't your duty to sit on the side of the highway and wait patiently for her. I would mention this to the judge as well, that in her need to make sure she got everyone, she left you in a very dangerous sitution, and being good law abiding citizen you sat there against your better judgement.

After that, 88 in a 65 is going to be tough to beat, especially if she shows up and says that the other cop that was sitting on the side of the road got you with the radar and she in haste just didn't mark it on the ticket.

YOU NEVER ADMIT TO KNOWING ONE ANOTHER. Look officer, i dont know them. i just got on the highway a mile back