Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Waterproof gloves?

Waterproof gloves?

So I rode up to Burlington yesterday afternoon in the rain, and I found that my rain setup (Arc'teryx uninsulated Gore-Tex ski bibs and a Marmot Essence rain jacket) works pretty well--my leathers stayed dry. However, leather mesh gloves are not exactly rain-friendly, so I'm shopping for some waterproof gloves.

I'm trying to find something that will work for summer rain first (e.g. 65+ deg F and raining), so breathability would be good. At Motorcycle Closeouts (where I have a store credit to kill), I found Joe Rocket and Shift gloves that seem to fit the bill. Anyone used either of these or have any other good recommendations?

(I'm willing to shop elsewhere, just would like to kill off the store credit before breaking out the Amex if I can.)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Waterproof gloves?

I have those Joe Rocket gloves. They work pretty well in the rain, but they're not very breathable.

But in my experience, nothing that works well in the rain is really very breathable.

--mark

PS -- seems like all the waterproof gloves I've seen have gauntlets that are seemingly designed to go over your jacket cuff, but if you do that, rain runs down the sleeve and right into the glove. No matter what the gauntlet design of the glove is, tuck it under your jacket/raingear.

Check out Aerostich. They make a waterproof glove cover, so you can wear good gloves and still stay dry. This way you can also wear them over your cool weather gloves

Ask me about Total Control ARC Level 1 and Level 2
    in Troy, NY and Loudon, NH
    John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSVg3Gg4LmA
    '02 GL1800A Silver (Track Toy)
    '12 Striple R

"I hope I always have a little more skill than stupidity"...Lee Parks

Thanks for the info.

I agree that "waterproof and breathable" exists only in marketing literature, not in real life, but I want to stay away from stuff at the more waterproof end of the spectrum...I'd rather have my hands a bit damp from some rain getting at them than soaked from sweat.

And although glove covers sound like a reasonable idea, I'm thinking that I'd rather have a separate pair of gloves (so that I have a pair to swap to in the event that one pair or the other is already soaked through or otherwise not in ideal shape).