Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

View Poll Results: Do you wear hi-viz clothing when you ride?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

16 18.60%
  • Sometimes

20 23.26%
  • Never, because of how it looks

14 16.28%
  • Never, for other reasons

36 41.86%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Do you wear hi-viz gear?

Re: Do you wear hi-viz gear?

I was considering going with an all black jacket but now this thread has got me thinking. Would this be considered high visability??!?!?!
    http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8234

I'd look like a freaking life sized orange!!!!

Pros:
    Definately will be seen

Cons:
    All that orange is kind of obnoxious

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Billy; 03-26-12 at 12:34 PM.

Lifer

Hi-viz is what you make of it. It is what you want it to be.

Obnoxious is the new bad-ass. Just look at what it has done for me.

I don't own anything hiviz. I have frank Thomas jacket with some reflecting lines (dont know what they are called) that's about it. My gear is mostly blue n white though.
    Also after riding my friends R6 with HIDs on and then back to my bike I think it will be an awesome upgrade since most of my street riding is at night times..

Saturday night I was on a long ride after dark, in the rain, on the interstate. I got to thinking about this thread. My bike is bright yellow but all of my rain gear is black. And I was wearing a black helmet. I decided I would probably have survived the slide if I hydroplaned and ditched but there wasn't a chance in hell that another driver would have seen my body in the road. I think it's time to buy a vest (at least).

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Lifer

$10 or $15 @ Lowe's... can't remember which. Looks like shite, but does the deed.

Not to say there is a direct correlation, but back in the late '80s I believe (god I'm getting old) there was a study regarding colors of fire apparatus. You may recall towns were deviating from fire engine red to fire engine lime green (we said they were engines that weren't ripe yet), yellow, white, etc. The study concluded color doesn't make a significant difference. The biggest factor was lighting. I'd say the HIDs and auxiliary lighting will be the best protection against the left-turning vehicle that claims most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by mattinri View Post
    Not to say there is a direct correlation, but back in the late '80s I believe (god I'm getting old) there was a study regarding colors of fire apparatus. You may recall towns were deviating from fire engine red to fire engine lime green (we said they were engines that weren't ripe yet), yellow, white, etc. The study concluded color doesn't make a significant difference. The biggest factor was lighting. I'd say the HIDs and auxiliary lighting will be the best protection against the left-turning vehicle that claims most of us.
    Trouble brings up a great point though, and all of the lighting in the world won't help you if it's 100 feet away from you. My one crash tossed my bike well below into a ravine while I stayed on the road, but thankfully it was day time and I had other riders to keep me safe from traffic.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by mattinri View Post
    A New Zealand study using data taken between 1993-96 in the city of Auckland, a "predominantly urban area" (Wells et al.[11] ) supported the Hurt Report's call for increased rider conspicuity, claiming that riders wearing white or light colored helmets, fluorescent or reflective clothing or using daytime headlights were under-represented when compared to a group of motorcycle accident victims.
    Motorcycle color has not seemed to make much difference.

Lifer

Last I checked it wasn't legal for me to slap strobes on my bike. So, until then...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345