Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Opions on Arai Signet GT vs. Shoei Z-II & X-Tec

Lifer

I'm looking for a new helmet and I've been going around trying to try them out... Looking for opinions on the Arai Signet GT, Shoei Z-II, and Shoei X-Tec.

I have a Shoei RF-800 right now, which I like quite a bit, but it is well worn and has loosened up and is probably a bit too large now.

I tried on the Z-II a couple weeks ago and really liked it.
    I tried on the Signet GT at Motomarket sunday, the fit was excellent after they changed out the cheek pads.
    I haven't tried the X-Tec but I assume it is at least as nice as the Z-II.

I wish I could find one place with all three so I could compare more closely.

I basically want to upgrade to get a quieter helmet and get the removable liner. Since I can get Shoeis online I'm guessing they will be $150-200 cheaper than the Arais, and I won't need to buy an additional tinted shield since the Z-II at least uses the same shields as my RF-800. I like the Shoei visor design much better, but if the Arais are significantly quieter and the slightly better fit means it's more safe than I will spend the extra money.

Thanks,
    Ben

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

RSVMILLE661

Both are great helmets. I am currently riding with a Signet GT (cooley replica) It is light weight and had great ventilation. I have worn the Shoeis and find that they actually have a larger visor and give a little bit more visiblity on top and to the sides.

Uppercrust Euro Rider SilverSurfer's Avatar

I too came from an RF800 to my Signet GT. I loved the RF800, it fit perfectly, I had all the visors (clear, tint, hi-def) which were very easy to change, and it was relatively quiet.

In comparison, the Signet GT has a more comfortable interior, the visor system sucks, it's louder, the ventilation is better, and it's lighter. I also agree that the peripheral vision is better with the Shoei.

I bought my Arai online last year for $300, so it was cheaper than the Z-II at the time.

When I compared the Z-II and the Signet GT at MM, I found the interior of the Shoei to be not as nice as the Arai, and the fit was a bit tighter at the top of my head. The Z-II was also a shorter helmet; it felt like the bottom of the helmet was a lot closer to my jaw line, sort of like an AGV.

As always, the fit is the most important thing here.

<table border=0 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width=100%><tr><td background="http://www.nestreetriders.com/images/fill1.gif"><font color=white size=1 face="Trebuchet MS, Arial"><b>SEAN
    01 DAYTONA 955i | 00 DAYTONA 955i | 89 KATANA 600</b></font></td></tr></table>

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I always wear ear plugs when I ride. Makes helmet choices easier since noise becomes a non-issue and really cuts down on fatigue.

I would go with the Shoei if the fit was right. So much cheaper to own.

Lifer

Thanks for all the info, especially you SilverSurfer. SS, does the Arai ventilation mean it fogs less? I generally have to keep my helmet cracked just a little bit in certain weather. The Shoeis have a little tab that seems perfect for this. The arai thing moves back/forward but it seems like I'd never be able to do it while riding with gloves on.

I always wear earplugs too. My bike is crazy loud due to the aftermarket screen not being quite right. It just gets annoying cause I sometimes find myself rushing to put the plugs in before a group leaves without me. Before I put the screen on I never wore earplugs but then the windblast kept me below 65mph on the highway most of the time. I'm thinking of trying to trim it but I'd be pissed if I broke it! (Dremel tool?)

MM is no longer ordering new Shoei stuff due to some disagreement/unhappiness with Shoei's supply setup. I guess I'll keep looking (no rush) for a place with both.

I suspect if I gotta decide on fit the Arai is better, the Shoei definitely has a little more room to move on my head. I seem to be somewhere between Medium and Large and the customizable cheek pads on the Arai help a lot with that.

Thanks,
    Ben

I don't think better ventinng meand it foggs less, I always have to leave my signet shield cracked a bit, a lot when its only 10°

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Uppercrust Euro Rider SilverSurfer's Avatar

The Signet pushed me to wear earplugs, too. So I guess you could say that the noise is a non-issue.

I do think the Signet fogs less than my old RF800. The Signet has little vents that pushes air up the inside of the shield, and I don't remember that feature or of it working on the RF800. Of course, if fogging is an issue you could always look at the FogCity stuff.

Ben, it sounds to me like your screen is buffeting you just under your helmet. That would drive me crazy. I bet a different shaped screen or a higher or lower lip would make a huge difference.