Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Weird Noise

Weird Noise

OK, riding two up today, I noticed a weird noise when accelarating hard in low gears. For example, when leaving from a stop light, release the clutch and get a few MPH before really accelerating hard (a good hard pull on the throttle, 1/2 full turn) and I noticed a bit of a clatter and briefly it feels like the bike bogged a little bit during the 'clatter'... Can get the same affect in second gear as well right after the shift, if you give it a good handful of gas.

I've never really noticed this particular phenomena when riding solo.... If it means anything, its an EFI bike.

Just curious as to any thoughts what might cause this...

Cheers,
    Chris

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Weird Noise

Sounds like detonation. Heavy load, low RPM's (well below where the motor makes any torque or horspower) , good amount of throttle. Try going up to the next higher octane rating on your gas and be easier on the throttle when riding two up until you get the R's up.
    Cheers, Lee S.

I know i'm slow, you don't have to rub it in.
    Why, Yes! I do think you're a Wanker!

Weird Noise

EEP! Running 93 octane now, but yeah, it is low RPM, not anywhere near the real power band of the bike...

Cheers,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Lifer

Weird Noise

If it is detonantion it might be a bad knockor O2 sensor causing a weird signal to go to the ECU. The dealer should be able to scan the code for you to see if it is within spec. Good Luck...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Weird Noise

Well, hopefully the diagnostic software/cable for my bike should be arriving today or tomorrow so I can read any and all codes to check it out...

Cheers,
    Chris