Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Whats your medical coverage for your motorcycle insurance?

Whats your medical coverage for your motorcycle insurance?

I just came back from the sinurance company and bumped up my medical coverage on my motorcycle insurance policy to $20,000. Its $350.00/year for the coverage.

My first crash the medical bills were $22,000
    Second crash was $4000

Figured $20,000 should be good .However I'm wondering if I should bump it up even more. ?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Whats your medical coverage for your motorcycle insurance?

50k.

Figure if I fuck up on the street it's going to be a good one.

I have 300k for uninsured and underinsured plus medical payments.

One night in an ER with a closed head injury will cost upwards of 48k.
    A broken tibia will run you over 100k for a 5 day stay.

What about PT ... that ain't cheap either.

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride would do.

Yes, but your own health insurance will pick up where your auto medical runs out. It's really a matter of importance if you injure someone else and it's your fault. If you don't have enough coverage, they may go after your personal assets. If you injure someone else that badly on your bike, you have bigger problems. like being dead.

50K is likely to be enough.

Paul_E_D

I was always under the impression if you have medical you don't need more than the minimum they make you take, no?

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Till you need it.

Where I live now, three out of five drivers do not either have insurance or enough insurance.

Wiki Answers provides the following question and answer:

MOST MEDICAL HEALTH ONLY PAYS A LIMITED PT, WHAT IF YOU NEED A NURSE TO TAKE CARE OF YOU OR FAMILY MEMBER? YOUR MEDICAL HEALTH DOES NOT PAY FOR THAT.

Answer:
    Contrary to what is written above, you need uninsured motorist coverage for the simple fact that it also provides for lost wages. If the accident causes you to miss time from work, how are you going to recoup those wages? Does your health insurance provide that coverage? Nope.

Uninsured motorist also provides a pain and suffering benefit. If the person who hit you doesn't have the money to pay for insurance, how much money do you think you'll be able to get from them for pain and suffering? Nada.

Get it- you need it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Plus I live in a right to work state. My employer can let me go for any reason. Now think of a broken Tibia and how long the recovery is. Can I really count on my job being there when I get back? Do I really want to gamble with that scenario? The other person is insured for 40K state minimum. Get in a bad accident and they pay 40K and subtract attorneys fees and you are left with the rest of the mess ... for the rest of your life. You can't go after their home, assets or anything else they have.

How many times on this forum have you seen someone or a friend of someone get into an accident and a collection of a couple of grand is made to help them with the bills? That couple of grand is just a fricken drop in the bucket compared to the financial mess they are in. People lose their homes and jobs over shit like this.

How much more does it cost me to go from 20K medical to 300k medical? 128 dollars a year. Ten fricken dollars a month ... less than a tank full of gas.

Last edited by Currently; 02-22-10 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Currently View Post
    A broken tibia will run you over 100k for a 5 day stay.
    Broken tib/ fib (compound), 3 day stay, $18,000

How much time off from work?

PT costs were how much?

Who wipes your butt when you are in a body cast?

I have seen some bad things happen to good people that could of prepared themselves a bit better for just a bit more money.

There is such a thing as being overinsured, I will grant that.

Question to ask yourself, how much am I willing to lose?

But, I have "full coverage"

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    But, I have "full coverage"
    Unless your medical coverage excludes injuries from a MVA I don't see why anyone thinks the motorcycle insurance is more likely to put out for these costs.

If you have both coverages, they will fight each other to see who pays, or neither will pay and they will both tell you the other should.

I am talking specifically about the medical portion, not the underinsured/uninsured motorist section.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

My insurance agent said on cars... non motorcycles, the health insurance that I currently have will pick up the tab that exceeds what covers me on my vehicle (car) coverage.

However, the health insurance I have now, will not pick up a motorcycle crash medical bill, only the vehicle ( motorcycle policy) coverage will take care of me.

Thats what I was told. Ill call my current health care provider and see what they say .

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    If you have both coverages, they will fight each other to see who pays, or neither will pay and they will both tell you the other should.
    ha ! I run a business out of my home, and several years ago made a claim, the adjuster from the homeowner claims dept tried pulling that with me, said good, then cut me the check from this policy # cause I had my business insurance thru the same company

to tell you the truth, I don't know what the limits are on the medical payments on my bike policy, not less than 25k, but I'm not sure my liability is 250k/500k/100k, my un/under is 100k, iirc and deductables are only $100 on both collision and comp

the extra money from minimum premium is peanuts ..... well, maybe not if yer a 23 year old squid with 4 moving violations and 2 as fault accidents living in the capitol city of bike theft

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Unless your medical coverage excludes injuries from a MVA I don't see why anyone thinks the motorcycle insurance is more likely to put out for these costs.

I am talking specifically about the medical portion, not the underinsured/uninsured motorist section.
    no thats not how it works. When I was in an accident a few years ago the lady at the hospital doing all the paperwork asked if it was a motor vehicle accident. She said since it is, the vehicle insurance pays first. then when that runs out it switches to your health insurance. but remember on a bike you have to buy that optional medical coverage. having "full coverage" doesn't include it.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    no thats not how it works. When I was in an accident a few years ago the lady at the hospital doing all the paperwork asked if it was a motor vehicle accident. She said since it is, the vehicle insurance pays first. then when that runs out it switches to your health insurance. but remember on a bike you have to buy that optional medical coverage. having "full coverage" doesn't include it.
    right but does the same thing apply to motorcycles?

say I get into an accident, medical bills are $30k. I have $20k health coverage on my bike..... will my current health insurance provider pick up the extra tab ?

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

Just over $100k for me.
    Medical Health took care of $85k. Another $15k came out of my pocket and I was out patient.

I use to just have the barest minium till I was riding with my buddy and he got hit by a car in front of me (left hand turner didnt see my friend and t-boned him, cop didnt site car driver.....gave him a break). Luckly he just broke his ankle, but he was out of work till the cast came off. He had 20k for insurance but that nearly wasn't enough for ambulance, medical and lost wages. He almost lost his house due to a broken ankle. I've bumped my own up to the maximum after seeing what he went through. I figure everyone is going to crash at some point or at least why take the chance right?

This is also another reason not to carry passengers but people forget about that.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE

So that is how it works. The bike policy covers and then medical picks up when the bike policy runs out. Or if you don't have coverage on the bike the medical kicks in immediatly making it irrelevant? Am I missing something?

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

Just over $100k for me.
    Medical Health took care of $85k. Another $15k came out of my pocket and I was out patient.
    Was that 100k just for your broken wrist?

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR
    Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto View Post

Just over $100k for me.
    Was that 100k just for your broken wrist?
    Yep.
    Granted it was broken pretty bad and needed 4 surgical proceedures, but it does add up quick.
    OT was allot too at 2-3 times per week for 3 months and once a week for almost 9 more months.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

So that is how it works. The bike policy covers and then medical picks up when the bike policy runs out. Or if you don't have coverage on the bike the medical kicks in immediatly making it irrelevant? Am I missing something?
    What you are missing is that if you hurt someone ELSE you need the medical on your auto because your health ins. won't pay for someone else.

If it were just about you, then no, you wouldn't need the medical on your auto. (except that it ADDS to what your health ins will cover)

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D

What you are missing is that if you hurt someone ELSE you need the medical on your auto because your health ins. won't pay for someone else.

If it were just about you, then no, you wouldn't need the medical on your auto. (except that it ADDS to what your health ins will cover)
    You may be right, but I don't know. It sounds fishy to me.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post

This is correct.

my health insurance has covered my broken tib/fib (60k), my ankle ($$$) from bike accidents.

I dont carry medical on my vehicle policies.

If you hurt someone else, that comes out of your regular insurance.. not medical payments. Say you are covered $100k/$300k.. that $100k per person can go to the medical bills and what not if you are found at fault.. or if you aren't at fault and they try to sue you anyways... ask me how I know

Quote Originally Posted by danny86 View Post
    right but does the same thing apply to motorcycles?

say I get into an accident, medical bills are $30k. I have $20k health coverage on my bike..... will my current health insurance provider pick up the extra tab ?
    I don't know why they'd deny you coverage. Check with your health provider on that.

sounds right according to how it was explained to me. and at the time I didn't have the extra medical on my bike insurance, my health insurance through my father at the time covered it (couldn't have been much it was just 10 stitches)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post

do you NEED it, well that depends on how much your health insurance is gonna cover. having more coverage is always a good thing though. But remember an accident on your bike your bike insurance won't pay a dime of medical bills unless you have the optional medical added. In your car Personal Injury Protection (which you all have because its part of basic vehicle insurance) will pick up a little of the bill. and I've stated it before and unless they changed it when we switched to competition in MA you are automatically denied PIP benefits when on your bike even though you have to pay for it.