Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

wheel repair

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

wheel repair

i know this has been discussed before....
    i hit a rock on my motard this summer that bent both wheels at the lip on the right side. ive got the wheels off and completely disassembled (to be painted). i called MCWheel and asked if they could be fixed but they said not only did they not know if they could fix them but that they had to be fully assembled ( ) and there is a distinct possibility that while trying to straighten the bends that they may stretch or bend spokes in the process or even oblong the spoke holes which means that after they fix the bend i will most likely have to buy all new spokes and/or possibly a new hoop, hub or both anyway.

replacement hoops from KTM run $345 (front) and $452 (rear).
    i can get non dimpled Excel wheels for $278 (F) and $392 (R) which is a little better but still pretty pricey.

im not sure what to do at this point.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Lifer

Re: wheel repair

Torch, block of wood, and a bfh?

Sounds like you haven't got much to loose.

I agree with nh, it doesn't take much heat on aluminum to make it easy to bend. I've bent back brake pedals and brake levers that way on an old CR and you'd never know the difference. Just ask my brother..., he never knew I bent them on his bike.

Jeff

Is it noticeable when you ride it?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Is it noticeable when you ride it?
    visually? yes. can i feel it? no.
    id really like to go tubeless on these wheels though and i need the bead to back where its supposed to be. besides the lip the rim has a bit of a flat spot in the same area too.
    i think im gonna ship them to Wills. i put them back together yesterday. just gotta find a box or 2 to ship them in.

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    visually? yes. can i feel it? no.
    id really like to go tubeless on these wheels though and i need the bead to back where its supposed to be. besides the lip the rim has a bit of a flat spot in the same area too.
    i think im gonna ship them to Wills. i put them back together yesterday. just gotta find a box or 2 to ship them in.
    Ahh ok.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

well you can always talk to Will Babb at Will's Rim Repair and see what he says.
    i have his number if you want it

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

MCWheel needs the wheels to be fully assembled so that they can put them on a balancer once they've straightened them. It doesn't make much sense to straighten the wheel visually if balance is still off.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    well you can always talk to Will Babb at Will's Rim Repair and see what he says.
    i have his number if you want it
    already did. go back a couple of posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    MCWheel needs the wheels to be fully assembled so that they can put them on a balancer once they've straightened them. It doesn't make much sense to straighten the wheel visually if balance is still off.
    MCW doesnt like doing spoke wheels but they will. they are the ones that said that damage to the spokes or wheel could happen that i mentioned in the OP.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    already did. go back a couple of posts
    MCW doesnt like doing spoke wheels but they will. they are the ones that said that damage to the spokes or wheel could happen that i mentioned in the OP.
    If the rims function leave them be. If you really want to go tubeless, don't even drop the $ on painting or trying to repair these. have them as a set of functional spares or sell them to recover cost and let someone else deal with the headaches if they want. It sounds to me like MCW gets a thumbs up for being totally honest with you on their capabilities and the possible outcome. You don't want them telling you everything will be fine, and then coming back to say, 'so sorry it didn't work out, you're fucked'. Besides, if you ask smutty, he'll tell you the marchinsinis are worth more and also the marchinsinis are worth more.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    If the rims function leave them be. If you really want to go tubeless, don't even drop the $ on painting or trying to repair these. have them as a set of functional spares or sell them to recover cost and let someone else deal with the headaches if they want. It sounds to me like MCW gets a thumbs up for being totally honest with you on their capabilities and the possible outcome. You don't want them telling you everything will be fine, and then coming back to say, 'so sorry it didn't work out, you're fucked'. Besides, if you ask smutty, he'll tell you the marchinsinis are worth more and also the marchinsinis are worth more.
    i have no use for spares at this time. ill never be able to sell them for enough to recoup enough money to justify new wheels. if i really wanted to, i could just pay my $250 deductible and have my insurance cover it.
    while i appreciate MCW candor they just didnt sound confident. Woodys in CO specializes in wire wheels and said it could fixed easily, but they wanted $100+ per wheel (not including shipping) because they want to true them and have them perfect when they send them back which is pointless since im just gonna disassemble them for paint.
    i called wills, twice, both time i got the machine but left no message. 20 min later HE called ME. i told him what i was looking for and he said hes done a few with good results. only 1 that he couldnt fix and he said it was taco'd almost in half. @$50 per wheel, ill let him have a go at it.
    worst case scenario in all this is an insurance claim.