Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tiger 800

Wirelessly posted

Had one as a loaner on Friday. 150 miles on some nice NH roads and I didn't want my bike back!!

Really nice little ride.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Re: Tiger 800

It's a great bike. Sveesix is picking his up Tuesday or Wednesday.

I absolutely love mine! I have the "roadie" version, as does Jeff (GearHd6). He & I got together (with his dad) for a little ride-around in northeast CT last weekend, and it was the first time mine saw the upper part of the rev range. It just runs so smoothly and predictably, and aside from a fairly stiff seat, really quite comfortable.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Lifer

The more I read about this bike, the more I think I'd like it.

This was compared to the GSA?

I like the weight, balance and the way it flicks about easily. Tons of factory and aftermarket bits & bobs for them now too.

I'd assume Manny got it while his GS was in the shop?

Wirelessly posted

My GSA was having some service. The tiger had a great smooth motor and really nice weighting, turning etc. just a nice bike. I kind of wonder how the 1050 motor compares....

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

The explorer has the new 1200cc engine. The tiger 1050 isn't the adventure bike the 800 and explorer are.

Lifer

It still seems like an attractive bike, the Tiger 1050.

I keep saying it, Triumph has a helluva nice lineup these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Wirelessly posted

My GSA was having some service. The tiger had a great smooth motor and really nice weighting, turning etc. just a nice bike. I kind of wonder how the 1050 motor compares....
    More power & torque, same smoothness and linear, rheostat-like power curve. The one you DO NOT want to test ride is the Tiger Explorer 1200. I hear they have a 100% success rate with test rides.

Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser
    Wirelessly posted

More power & torque, same smoothness and linear, rheostat-like power curve. The one you DO NOT want to test ride is the Tiger Explorer 1200. I hear they have a 100% success rate with test rides.
    I looked at it a bit in the showroom. Size and look wise its a GS. I'd be curious about the motor.....

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    Not on advrider....

I test rode a Triumph 800 and then rode my V-Strom on the same roads on the way home. The motor is smoother and more powerful. The stock suspension was better than the V-Strom but not as good as the aftermarket stuff I added. The engine had a surprising amount of noise at lower rpms, but not offensive. It felt quite a bit more powerful than the last F800 I rode, an F800ST. The adjustable seat is pretty trick.

I'm planning to test ride the Ninja 1000 ABS in June, which is about the same price as the Tiger 800. They quoted me $12,000 for an 800 with ABS, heated handgrips and hand guards.

I got mine as a leftover/slight demonstrator with 131 miles on it, a tank bag and the harness for the tank bag (one harness fits two different size tank bags) for $10,500. I've read that the Triumph accessory hand guards suck compared to SW Motech ones, but I don't have either. I will likely add the heated grips around September.

My riding is never adv rider stuff. I just wanted upright seating on a good all-around bike that isn't cookie-cutter common.

Wirelessly posted

I looked at it a bit in the showroom. Size and look wise its a GS. I'd be curious about the motor.....

The motor.... The motor!! Very powerful. lots of torque. Smooth! handles like a much lighter bike in the corners. I scraped the right peg yesterday leaning way over following LRRman on the Seacoast Random ride.

I demoed the Tiger Explorer 1200 at Secondwind. There was a buzz at low rpm that I was initially annoyed at, but it wasnt in the engine. The adjustable screen wasnt tightened down properly, and it was vibrating against the frame. 2 seconds later, that was sorted out and I was down a road that was being prepped for repavement, all torn up.

The suspension was a little stiff for bad roads, but very nice for pavement. I was pretty impressed with the motor too. That was stepping directly off the Multistrada as well. I love triples, but I really liked how the bike pulled out of low revs cleanly/smoothly. The engine has plenty of power.

When I first saw the specs, I thought the weight looked intimidating, but it carries it pretty well. Even at low speed, the bike feels pretty balanced. At first the bars looked low to me for standing up, but it was actually fine. I think you could do something like the puppy dog trail in VT and it would be no problem.

I'll be very interested to see the comparison between this bike and new water cooled boxer GS.

Last edited by slowrider; 05-13-12 at 09:58 AM.
    Kevin
    2011 KTM 530 EXC
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter S
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Lifer

I am picking up a T800 on Tuesday, an extensive ride report to follow. Venom Yellow!

Quote Originally Posted by sveesix View Post
    I am picking up a T800 on Tuesday, an extensive ride report to follow. Venom Yellow!
    Nice! Yella bikes rule!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I got one of the first shipment of Tiger 800 XCs with ABS to make it to the US; picked it up April 15 of last year. It's about to turn over 14,000 miles. And that's with me out of commission for the latter half of last season due to a broken leg.

This bike is awesome. The only thing I've felt the need to change on mine was the seat -- the stock seat shape just didn't work too well for me over the long haul, and the foam was just a little too soft. Got a Renazco Racing seat on there now, and it's much better.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Tell me more about the one you've bought.

Did you get the ABS braking option and/or any other options?
    Did you test ride one before making the decision?
    Which shop did you buy from?

FYI, the Venom Yellow (a perfect mix of piss yellow and puke green) is being discontinued for 2013 in favor of the Sapphire Blue or similar Pacific Blue. I forget which one.

I was very impressed at how well Mark's XC handled on the road. There is a good chance it will be my next street bike.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Lifer

My riding is never adv rider stuff. I just wanted upright seating on a good all-around bike that isn't cookie-cutter common.
    Same, 'cept I don't much care what it looks like, what brand it is, or how popular it isn't.

I want upright ergos, moderate wind protection, side cases, and some grins.

I wouldn't say the Tiger 800 has moderate wind protection but there are plenty of aftermarket screens available for it now.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    I wouldn't say the Tiger 800 has moderate wind protection...

I would. I think the stock windscreen actually works pretty well. Keeps the wind off my chest/shoulders and doesn't cause helmet buffeting. I'd consider that moderate wind protection. I certainly wouldn't expect a Goldwing-style bubble of still air on this style of bike.

But yes, plenty of aftermarket screens available for those who want more wind protection.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Lifer

I wouldn't say the Tiger 800 has moderate wind protection but there are plenty of aftermarket screens available for it now.
    Everything is relative. I realize now I speak out of context. FWIW, I consider the factory screen perfectly adequate.

All I meant is that I am done with nekkid bikes. (I replaced a nekkid with my V-Strom.)

Lifer

I ordered a Madstad Engineering Adventure Shield in Light Grey. Have it waiting to install. The engineering looks beautiful.

FYI, the Venom Yellow (a perfect mix of piss yellow and puke green) is being discontinued for 2013 in favor of the Sapphire Blue or similar Pacific Blue. I forget which one.
    It is some type of Matte Blue.

I've got just about 11,000 miles on mine now, all with the stock screen, so obviously it's working. I do get hit with a lot of wind though "IMO". My Daytona, to me, offers moderate wind protection. My dads R1200RT offers "lots" of wind protection. Opinions on screens all vary amongst different riders.

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast