Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Second Wind is no more...

Second Wind is no more...

Just received this a short while ago. It doesn't mention whether they're selling new BMWs. Maybe just Triumphs?

Second Wind BMW
    is now
    National Powersports Distributors

We are proud to announce that National Powersports Distributors has acquired Second Wind BMW/Triumph!
    By combining the two largest volume Triumph dealers in the Northeast, our goal is to provide the best sales and service experience possible. We have loaded up the Merrimack location with a ton of nice pre-owned motorcycles, and increased the selection of new Triumphs. Our bikes come fully serviced, detailed and with a Warranty. We will continue to service both Triumph and BMW (as well as other brands), utilizing the professional technicians that you already know and trust.
    Please stop in and say hi, we are looking forward to getting to know you!

Nathan Sanel,

President - National Powersports.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by oVTo; 12-28-16 at 05:01 PM.
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Re: Second Wind is no more...

Yeah saw that too. Pretty disappointed with this news as I've been going there for a long time and it's been a great shop - always a good crew at Second Wind and their sales & service teams have been fantastic. The idea of National Powersports taking over here locally is a bummer.

They no longer carry BMW.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    They no longer carry BMW.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    There goes the neighborhood.
    Second Wind BMW-Triumph Sold

Jeff

I was always under the impression that Nate and Barry ran a great shop with National Powersports......good people, good place, incredible selection, etc....

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yea I hope for the most part the MC community see's this as a great thing, just as all the people involved do. We're pretty excited about it, and so is the crew down in Merrimack. It's definitely unfortunate about dropping BMW, though we're still going to support and service the BMW owners in the area just as Second Wind had, with the same technicians and everything.

If anyone has any questions or anything feel free to DM me.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    Yea I hope for the most part the MC community see's this as a great thing, just as all the people involved do. We're pretty excited about it, and so is the crew down in Merrimack. It's definitely unfortunate about dropping BMW, though we're still going to support and service the BMW owners in the area just as Second Wind had, with the same technicians and everything.

If anyone has any questions or anything feel free to DM me.
    Yeah thanks, I just think the area (Nashua / Manchester) could really use a new-bike BMW option vs. just having Max's on the coast. I'm hoping someone else picks up the line. I usually have my bikes serviced about the same number of times as I trade them in!

Last edited by Not Sure; 12-29-16 at 05:52 PM.

Yeah thanks, I just think the area (Nashua / Manchester) could really use a new-bike BMW option vs. just having Max's on the coast. I'm hoping someone else picks up the line. I usually have my bikes serviced about the same number of times as I trade them in!
    I definitely agree that it leaves a bit of a gap in BMW coverage in the area... just wasn't in the cards for us at this time. I'm sure the need will be filled in time though. As I mentioned regarding service, all the same BMW techs are staying in Merrimack as far as I know.

Yeah saw that too. Pretty disappointed with this news as I've been going there for a long time and it's been a great shop - always a good crew at Second Wind and their sales & service teams have been fantastic. The idea of National Powersports taking over here locally is a bummer.
    Living in the Manchester area puts me somewhere near halfway between Merrimack and Pembroke. I consider both locations local and both shops are/were NH businesses. The downside is we no longer have two dealer to choose from with either BMW or Triumph, but motor sports dealerships are facing tough times. Wherever I look, I either see consolidation or closures. I prefer the former. Good luck to Nathan.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
    - Oscar Wilde

My Tiger 1050 has 10,000 miles on it and could use some attention. It also seems to have a short that is draining the battery, probably due to something I missed or came loose from the Denali PowerHub I added.

I was planning on taking it to Second Wind. Still a good choice? The Triumph website doesn't list the Arlington dealer anymore, just Cycles 128. Don't know any independents.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Second Wind for Triumph still seems like a good choice. What other attention does the bike need? As to the electrical drain, paying someone $100/hour more or less might could drain your wallet rapidly.

And don't believe everything you think.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

PS ... Just thinking, if going to Second Wind, I'd call 'em first, are the same techs there, do they have 1050 experience, etc.

Just wondering, what's going on with Riverside? I haven't heard much about them for a while.

I guess if it were my bike, I'd look at the 1050 forum for electrical threads, and join and post up. There might be typical problems and fixes.
    Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Last edited by whynot; 01-21-17 at 10:41 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

It's stored in the shed. I'll dig it out in March and go over it. The 1050 was used in the Sprint and it's another variation of the modern triple, so I'd think any dealer could handle it.

Riverside no longer lists new Triumphs, or Suzuki.

Last edited by Garandman; 01-21-17 at 06:24 PM.

Green River Powersports in Gill does Triumph. I have no idea how good they are, however.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

I see this move as a loss for the mc community. National: good selection? Definitely. Good people? I wouldn't know, the one time I was in there I didn't get spoken to. I know I'm their site they brag "no dealer fees!"... Well ya, because their prices are on the high side and they don't budge at all.

And I think we have allowed lower expectations. "Serviced and detailed"? Well ya, you deal used motorcycles, business ethics suggest you would clean up a unit when you get it.

Not to mention their recent gimmicky "sale" where they discounted their bikes (not all, inconveniently for them) a dollar per Cc..... I emailed an inquiry a couple days after that sale and they wouldn't honor the price.,stating the sale was over... Time went by and they reduced the price again because it hadn't moved. By then I was done with them.

If you are seeking a specific model and they have it And you are set in it, I guess go for it. But I suggest giving anyone else your business. National powersports seems like the Wal-Mart of mc dealerships. Minus the high prices.

And obviously for triumph buyers it's bad news. We used to have 2nd wind, great bay, and I might be wrong, but for a while natl'? Now it's all one company, so you can bet their arrogance will grow, their prices will be nothing competitive... Because there is no competition, and the bigger they get the less personal the relationship will be. Might as well pay for shipping anywhere in the country and get the same hands on attention as you get in Pembroke.

You can add the dealer in Salem. And Great Bay quoted me over MSRP on a Tiger 800 so my experience was not a happy one.

I suspect Triumph is demanding bigger, shinier dealerships. AJ's posted they dropped BMW because BMW Motorrad wanted them to install a $100,000 coffee bar.

Ironically I just sold my business to one 10X bigger because vendor policies made it tough for regional dealers to compete.

Last edited by Garandman; 01-23-17 at 03:53 AM.

Y'all can drive down to Triumph/Suzuki of Swansea, they're good people there.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Y'all can drive down to Triumph/Suzuki of Swansea, they're good people there.
    That's where I bought my Tiger 800 ABS back in early 2011, no regrets. They've been great! It's a long ride for me but worth the trip. I'm going to need the first valve clearance check so they'll see me in spring, I trust their work. That wasn't true with Great Bay. A friend had her bike serviced there and they put the rear axle adjuster blocks on backwards, caused big trouble out on a ride. And they also quoted me "market pricing" (meaning over list price) when I was shopping. Steve at Swansea gave me a small discount and the factory tank bag I wanted, I gave him a check.

After I saw Performance Cycles of Shrewsbury MA also went out (and after spending big $$ on reconstructing their showroom to accommodate Triumph's requirements), I sent the Triumph rep a letter telling them they were wrong to go the way of Harley and BMW with dictating floor space for gear and accessories. Unlike those buyer groups most of us just want to swing a leg over a bike, maybe a token accompanied test ride, and buy it. We don't care one bit about having a selection of boutique clothing to "go with" the bike. That letter went unanswered, as expected.

These manufacturers who put undue burdens on a largely seasonal business who must carry multiple lines just leads to heavily leveraged dealerships who can't serve customers with even small discounts, working on the thinnest margins because of the high "cost of sales." Bad thinking trying to copy the Harley model without developing the culture ahead of it.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

I think you're going to see "boutique brands" migrating more and more away from rural areas like the northeast, and centering their focus on metropolitan areas in the near future. If you haven't already noticed, these manufacturers are marketing far more towards the urban "hipster" crowd with bikes like all the scrambler and retro variations on the Street Twin and Bonneville, and BMW's numerous variations on the r nine T. I don't think they're trying to emulate Harley per se, I think they're trying to emulate Ducati (who I suppose could be considered trying to emulate Harley in a way).

Couple that with the sad fact is that us traditional northeast riders simply don't want to spend the money that boutique brands ask for their products. It's pretty apparent from reading numerous threads here on this forum that most of us are penny pinchers who are far more willing to throw down $3000 on a 30k mile V-Strom than drop $12-15k on a new Triumph Tiger. We're simply not the target market anymore, and for good reason; it takes way more effort to sell us a Tiger based on specs and objective criteria than it does to sell a handful of Street Twins to people based on a retro emotional appeal.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Us New England riders don't want to drop $15-$18k on a $12k-$15K bike, no test rides allowed, that's all.

You have cheap people all over the country, New England is no exception. You also have shitty unrealistic dealers all over. If their target audience isn't riders, then they get what's coming to them.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I believe much of the time it's not the dealer's doing to have a lot of floor space dedicated to non-moving, low margin inventory of clothing and accessories. It's what they had to do to get a single bike to sell. And they didn't have the option of a single bike either, they had to commit to 3 of these, 4 of those, 6 of them...the ones nobody around here will buy.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Us New England riders don't want to drop $15-$18k on a $12k-$15K bike, no test rides allowed, that's all.

You have cheap people all over the country, New England is no exception. You also have shitty unrealistic dealers all over. If their target audience isn't riders, then they get what's coming to them.
    Where are they asking $3k over MSRP? My buddy bought his 2016 Tiger 800 XCA for $15k, a tad under what Triumph MSRP is on that model. Furthermore, he test rode it immediately before buying it. Not only that, but he went back a couple months ago and test rode a BMW R1200GS to see if he wanted to make a switch. He did all of this at none other than Second Wind before they got bought.

It seems pretty standard that European brand "boutique" dealers offer test rides far more frequently than Japanese brand dealers do.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

You'd be surprised.

I walked into a dealer looking to buy a leftover SV650 way back when. Had my checkbook ready.

Leftover, starting at MSRP + dealer fee + setup fee. No budging. No test ride.

Place is out of business now. I wonder why?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

That's not even close to my experience with my KTM either. I got it at $18250, dealer/setup fee included. That's $3250 under MSRP, as it was a leftover.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast