Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Second Wind is no more...

Re: Second Wind is no more...

My Tiger 800 ABS was a fast-selling new model at the time that dealers were tacking on a "market price premium", as they called it. I got mine with 131 miles on it for $10K, under the $10,495 list + $400 freight that was the published price. Not as good a cut and your KTM, but I was happy.

And still am.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

I have found that it's much more difficult to get a testride at a dealer for any Japanese bike. Most European brands are pretty easy, Triumphs are usually easy (early on, Triumph policy *required* dealers to offer testrides, but I think they backed off on that a bit). American bikes are pretty easy, too. To get a testride on a Japanese bike, I usually have to go to a major event and track down a testride truck. At last year's MotoGP at COTA, I testrode a couple Hondas and a Suzuki. I've tested over 80 bikes in the last 9 years, and the list is predominately Euro and American, simply due to accessibility.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    willing to throw down $3000 on a 30k mile V-Strom
    Link??

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Just a quick thumbs up for the new Riverside Triumph in Malden. Great service there.

Lifer

I must have something stamped on my forehead.

I've seriously tried to buy a Tiger 800 a couple times. Great Bay told me "MSRP plus fees", suggested that price was doing me a favor, would not grant a test ride of any sort.
    I have kicked tires on KTM 1190's pretty hard at Motorbikes Plus. No test ride. "MSRP plus fees" is the answer I get, even on leftover hardware. "Maybe there's a national discount. I'll check and get back to you." Never heard from them.

Given the Tiger 800 was hot and apparently Great Bay didn't feel the need to work very hard on selling me one. Part of what turned me off to the brand/model. Great Bay did put me on a Ducati Hyperstrada, a model I was only barely interested in. I think that bike had been on their showroom floor for a long time.
    Also Motorbikes barely tries to sell street hardware at all. Although I recently asked about an 350 XCF-W/EXC dirt model and they did not seem anxious to sell me one of those either.

My expectations are higher.

National Powersports also has a "no test rides" policy. Or did the day I asked.

The only time I've been able to test ride a Triumph was at Triumph USA corporate events where they truck in demo bikes for guided parade laps, just like the Japanese makes.
    I finally got to demo a KTM 1190 thanks to a friend who owned one. KTM does a lousy job publicizing their demo rides, doesn't even do them at major events like bike week.
    Thus far my experience shopping "boutique" euro brands is exactly like my experience shopping Japanese brands.

So far almost all of my positive motorcycle shopping experience has come from craigslist and almost all of my negative experience has come from dealers.

Dealers that have left me with positive experiences:
    - Mom's in Manchester almost 15 years ago. They had a huge used selection and were more than willing to toss me the keys to anything on the floor, even though I was 20-something. Test rides were not supervised. Salesman worked his contacts and found me a leftover model of the machine I was after at a completely unrelated dealer some miles away
    - Seacoast in Derry gets an honorable mention as they have consistently volunteered to let me test ride stuff. Unfortunately for me/us they don't sell anything that really has my interest

I've been riding for over 20 years now and I have exactly 2 really positive experiences with dealers. Two!

Best Cycle dropped the ball over and over again, both with the sales and service experiences.
    Central MA Powersports lied to me about the machine they sold me.
    The multi-brand guy in Epping has consistently fucked up my parts orders. He once almost cost me a race weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I must have something stamped on my forehead.

National Powersports also has a "no test rides" policy. Or did the day I asked.

Just a heads up on this, NPD does offer test rides on any new Triumph you'd like... just not the used inventory. There is a "first ride guarantee" however on used bikes, so if you buy a bike and despise it or something about it isn't as marketed after 20 miles or so just bring it back and return it.

Lifer

Maybe I got a salesman that was new and/or wasn't clear on policy.

Also the first I've heard of that "guarantee". I like that and it boosts my confidence in shopping with National.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

SVM in Milford NH generally will let you demo their bikes. New or Used. Some times even Husky dirt bikes. I demo'd the Husqvarna 701 there.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    ...There is a "first ride guarantee" however on used bikes, so if you buy a bike and despise it or something about it isn't as marketed after 20 miles or so just bring it back and return it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Also the first I've heard of that "guarantee". I like that and it boosts my confidence in shopping with National.
    You might want to add this "1st ride guaranty" on your homepage. I think it could sway a potential customer in your favor.

Lifer

I bought my first bike from derry cycle. From a salesman named Mark back in 05. He was the man, works at naults windham last I knew.

The rest of derry cycle blows, service, parts, the rest of the sales team. I suspect they are a drug front.

I got a test ride on a triumph easily at second wind. Too bad they are gone.

I tried to trade my 06 gsxr600 in on a speed triple back in 2009ish at great bay... My gsxr was clean and we'll maintained. They said, "trade on your bike is 4000-5000, but you should expect 3500 because gsxrs are so common." like... What? Just tell me the trade figure is 3500, don't tell me I "could" get 5k, but then insult me....

National powersports, I'm not a fan. Wal-Mart is starting to sell cars in the southwest, maybe they will s

Lifer

Tart to sell bikes and people will realize the experience is no different than national.

I've never bought a bike from seacoast, but each time I go in for me or with a friend they are always cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I suspect they are a drug front.
    I can't stop laughing at this. I walked in there once ten years ago and something just felt wrong. Like a raid was about to go down.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I've always been shocked that guys would buy $10K, 15K, $20K+ bikes without a test ride. That would never happen with a car so I just don't see why people do it. Since '04 I've purchased 4 BMWs, a Duc, an Aprilia, and a Kawi. Without question I test rode all of them. Like someone noted earlier SVM is great and they let me test ride the Kawi. Good for the Mullin family - great people. I bet I test rode 20 bikes out of Second Wind. Unless another dealer pops up in Manchester or Concord, I'm sure I'll be at Max's for my next ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    I've always been shocked that guys would buy $10K, 15K, $20K+ bikes without a test ride. That would never happen with a car so I just don't see why people do it. Since '04 I've purchased 4 BMWs, a Duc, an Aprilia, and a Kawi. Without question I test rode all of them. Like someone noted earlier SVM is great and they let me test ride the Kawi. Good for the Mullin family - great people. I bet I test rode 20 bikes out of Second Wind. Unless another dealer pops up in Manchester or Concord, I'm sure I'll be at Max's for my next ride.
    I'm a big fan of testrides, and definitely advise against buying without doing that.

That said, though, I bought my trusty '93 Ducati M900 Monster brand new, not only without a testride, but without having physically seen any. They hadn't been brought into the country yet. I had a 2" x 1-1/2" photo clipped out of Cycle World, and $10K, and went to the local dealer and ordered it. I had to wait 3 months for arrival, but I got really lucky on all of that and loved the bike (indeed still do, 24 years later).

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

When I bought my speed triple at Riverside they had a strict test ride policy. Basically they only let you do it if you were serious and a qualified buyer. You either needed to bring a statement from your bank verifying funds if it were a cash buy, or be approved for financing. I can appreciate that. Motorcycle guys are a funny sort, they don't want to purchase a bike that has 100 test ride miles on it as "new."

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I can see the no-testride policy for new bikes due to the sensitivity of the odometer, but no test rides on used bikes? C'mon, National. That seems like a no-brainer.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I can see the no-testride policy for new bikes due to the sensitivity of the odometer, but no test rides on used bikes? C'mon, National. That seems like a no-brainer.
    Insurance issues is the difference I believe.

Last edited by e30addict; 02-18-17 at 04:16 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Yes, to a point, but not everyone is an experienced rider, you have to manage your risk. Example:

Squid walks into National wearing air Jordan's, a wife beater, and a Stryker vest. "Yeah, I'd like to take that used R1 for a test whip."

GTFO

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    My Tiger 800 ABS was a fast-selling new model at the time that dealers were tacking on a "market price premium", as they called it. I got mine with 131 miles on it for $10K, under the $10,495 list + $400 freight that was the published price. Not as good a cut and your KTM, but I was happy.

And still am.
    And for that bike Great Bay quoted me $12,000.

Lifer

I'm also perfectly fine with showing that I'm a serious buyer.
    A generous return policy is a decent compromise though. Although you're still out reg fees, which can be substantial on an expensive machine. And in MA you're likely out sales tax too. In NH I could at least to a 30-day plate I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Yes, we know. Let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    When I bought my speed triple at Riverside they had a strict test ride policy. Basically they only let you do it if you were serious and a qualified buyer. You either needed to bring a statement from your bank verifying funds if it were a cash buy, or be approved for financing. I can appreciate that. Motorcycle guys are a funny sort, they don't want to purchase a bike that has 100 test ride miles on it as "new."
    When I lived in the area I used to get my bikes serviced at Riverside, so I was there a lot. They were always very clear in telling me that they didn't do test rides at all. Kind of turned me off to them. My local Triumph dealer just closed and I think Riverside might be the closest, maybe I'll be back there sometime soon.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Yes, to a point, but not everyone is an experienced rider, you have to manage your risk. Example:

Squid walks into National wearing air Jordan's, a wife beater, and a Stryker vest. "Yeah, I'd like to take that used R1 for a test whip."

GTFO
    Obviously. But we aren't talkin about a universal rule. We're talkin about motorcycle enthusiasts showing up with $2k worth of riding gear on their own well maintained motorcycles. It's pretty easy to tell.

I don't care if I have to prove I'm able to financially commit. But snows chance in hell that I will without riding the thing first. I can walk into a Roundel dealer and test drive a $60k 5 series with no issue, so wtf is the problem?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Short bus rider

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Just a quick thumbs up for the new Riverside Triumph in Malden. Great service there.
    It's in Medford, I use to practically live there when they were in Somerville in the 90's. I could walk in with a tire mounted on my rim and a tire in my other hand. I could change myself "with on charge". That was how they were doors always open and loved racing. It was very important to them to have good relationships with their customers and would go out of their way for racers. One of the two owners retired and the city of Somerville forced the change to Medford. Most of the faces changed there,but Carlo the owner is still there everyday and is always willing to help. He also has a Cappuccino machine there but be warned if you say yes to a cup plan on being there for a while talking to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I know you've mentioned that in the past. I bought my 11 Tiger from them, at the time those bikes were hot and people were lined up to buy them. They had just gotten one "demo" in but it was non ABS, I ordered an ABS bike from them and did not pay over MSRP for it. Believe me, I wound up hating that place not long after the purchase so I'm in no way defending them. Not that there's anything to defend anymore.

Jeff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast