Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winter thoughts...

Lifer

Thumbs down Winter thoughts...

So some of you seem to go batty every winter since you can't ride.

I do seem to have a little of that.

But the main thing winter brings out in me is a negative vibe about riding that seems to hit every year and I can't seem to figure out how to deal with it.

Obviously last year's actions were the most spectacular failure yet to figure out why I ride and whether or not I should be riding!

But it is the same, I rode thursday last week, the snow hit friday, and now it is tuesday and I am wondering why I even bother.

Winter always gives me time to contemplate what other activities I could be spending my time & money on.

To be blunt I am of course thinking of my bicycling... despite my season flaming out after getting my current motorcycle, it was my best season yet, and the "high" moments of some of the races I was in were much more satisfying than anything I did on my motorcycle. Granted the "low" times sucked more than anything that happens on a motorcycle except a crash, but then a nasty race crash in cycling will suck just as much if not more.

As I sit in my cold apartment this winter, I know I will not be sitting there lusting after chasing Mystery Squid down 495 weaving in and out of the cars, nor will it be cursing as my tires slide through Appalachian Gap in Vermont, nor will it be slogging through a rainstorm on a friday night on my way up Rt. 89 to Vermont.

But yet, somehow, I know I'll probably be doing those same things next year. (Except for chasing mystery squid)

Guess all the riding I do is starting to blend together. It is all fun in the moment but afterwards I never seem to be left with any great memories, whereas some of my other hobbies tend to leave me with lasting memories. That is what it is all about for me... the memories, not how cool I am or anything like that.

The best ones this year for me... ?

- Climbing Pack Monadnock in February after 70 miles and reaching the summit with standard gearing and realizing I was stronger than at any point in my life

- Riding the Kanc in the rain & snow on my Trek in March, descending with my glasses off since they were getting covered with drizzle

- Several memorable hikes up in the Whites & the photographs that resulted

- 3 bicycle races - 2 that I won and one that I consider one of the toughest physical things I've ever done just to finish the race

I had several epic motorcycle rides I guess, but there was always something about them that was frustrating enough for them not to make the list. Going to the track is definitely the only thing that came close.

Ben

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Littering and........

Winter thoughts...

I sometimes go through the same questioning in the winter - like, why do I spend so much money on something I onlyreally get to use half of the year?

This is usually followed by my selling the bike, and being SUPER pissed I did so as soon as spring rolls around the corner.

I have found that the trick is to undertake some sort of very time consuming project on your bike, so that you are interested in working on it and having it all set to go in the spring. The Franken bike is getting new paint and some new plastics, along with a slip-on pipe (budget allowing), and the R1 is getting a new upper fairing mount so everything fits right, and some carb tuning, which I have never done, but have several months in which to learn how. Hopefully, by the time I'm sick of working on them, it will be time to ride!

Hey did you see that cop RevHappy's Avatar

Winter thoughts...

Ben,
    why can you not have more than one happy hobby? For some riding is a stress relief, get away, thrill seek...etc..... Maybe I'm miss your point but the one thing is that you keep coming back to motorcycles, this should be telling you something....You like it.

Yes there is danger's in riding but I dont think you will find the excitement in what you looking for in something that is "safe" and goals that are easliy reached.

RevHappy's Website

2004 Titan Custom 1750cc
    2004 Honda Recon ES
    2003 Yamaha YZF R6
    4 Sale 6,500
    2001 KawasakiKDX 200

"I'll tell you what I tell my girl...Even a broken clock is right twice a day"

Winter thoughts...

I don't think riding is one of those things you can classify in the same arena a physical sports.

Deal's Gap was the pinnacle of my summer last year. I expect this year to be no different.

I bought a truck to fight my winter blues this year. Hopefully a good rip in the snow off road will keep me chuggin along.

I try to ride only when I know I will enjoy it. That is why I don't commute as much as you do. All highway is no fun. I'd like to reserve my motorcycle for the fun times of my life, recreation and signifying good enjoyment, not a way to get to work.

True, I like riding to work, but it's just not the same, ya know?

Paintball seems boring compared to a trackday or Deal's Gap (and two days of paintball $ = 1 week of Deal's Gap $ = 1 trackday). I'm getting out of the sport. It's just no fun when all I want to do is hit some sick twisties on my big heavy bike going slower than most everyone but still havin a blast.

Last years Deal's Gap group was awesome. I am afraid that we will never have a better bunch ever again. Perfect size, great people, just all around a fantastic trip (minus Jon's bike loosing it's balance those two times.....).

What would I like to do next summer? Have my dirt bike rideable and USE it. Ride dirt Saturday, street on Sunday. Many track days, though not all if I want to be able to eat.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Winter thoughts...

Hey if I had an answer to that question I'd be all set..

It is not that danger bugs me. I think it is actually that riding has gotten routine and boring. Maybe I should get a ZX-10 or something, set my hair on fire, etc..

Joe, I'd move somewhere warm if I felt like I had lots of options for jobs... but I am very, very attached to mountains, so a place like Florida would suck a lot for me. And any place with mountains tends to have winter.

I need to find some way to get more excited about snowboarding or something...

Lifer

Winter thoughts...

Hey Clayton thanks for responding, that was interesting...

I suppose you are right, maybe I should try riding less and trying to make sure that the riding that I do is 100% fun.

Commuting is not so boring to me but I worry that it is the place I will get myself in trouble with the law & or in an accident.

Lifer

Winter thoughts...

Sorry man, I don't have a defeatist attitude at all...

I like New England, my family is here, etc.. I don't necessarily dislike winter like you do.

I think I would perhaps have issues with getting bored of riding sometimes if I lived in a different climate as well. The climate is really just a side factor as I enjoy the seasons here.

Ben

Lifer

Winter thoughts...

Winter in New England is tough, there is no polite way to say it.

I handle it by being a ski bum, prepping my house for winter and me (heat in the garage, digital cable package, and lots of home improvement projects), and by getting away. I take my work trips to Phoenix, AZ and personal trips to visit my college roomate in Tampa.

To combat the seasonal depression I go to the tanning booth. SPF 50 because I don't care about the color, but I do care about the 20 minute nap in the "sun". Try it sometime, plus there is usually some nice looking woman hanging out (yes, even in VT).

Suffering through winter also lets you enjoy your toys when you can use them. Case in point, my Dad has a sailboat, when he lived in Burlington he was on his boat every weekend when there wasn't ice in the water. He moved to VA because he couldn't take winters and has been on the boat five times in four years.

Lastly, in the dead cold of winter I can get a table at just about any restaurant I want in the area. Good food, good wine, and good friends can make up for a lot.

Good Luck, hope this helped....

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Winter thoughts...

Originally posted by Mr. E. Squid
    Dude, no one suggested Florida. Job opportunities exist EVERYWHERE. There are plenty of places in the US where could get everything you want. That's a very "defeatist" attitude Ben. You're young, you have nothing to tie you down. So now you're going to sit around and try and "force" yourself to get excited with snowboarding...
    nobody suggests florida cause the riding SUCKS, it's only a place to visit for a couple weeks if you have a thing for mickey mouse.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Just Registered

Winter thoughts...

Originally posted by benVFR
    Commuting is not so boring to me but I worry that it is the place I will get myself in trouble with the law & or in an accident.
    ever feel like you're looking forward to the commute? or do you resent it?

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Winter thoughts...

Hmm, if it's memories you're after than you ussually aren't going to find it on the commute. Riding the twisties at ridiculous speeds is exciting while your doing it, but it will fade and not last. I find rides where I am going slow and stopping all the time are much more memorable.

For me the excitment in motorcycles is exploring. If I have a particular destination in mind I prefer not to plan a route. Bring a good map for when your clueless, I will ussually just follow my nose though (or compass which tends to be more accurate). Obviously this method can't be on a time limit and you can't be rushed but it is ultimatly the most rewarding thing about bikes for me.

I seem to be the opposite of you though. As soon as the snow falls I'm already getting anxious about the next riding season. It's during the riding season that sometimes I question owning a bike. Ussually when it's 90 degrees out and I am putting on more clothing. I really hate the prep time about taking a ride, not like my car where I can jump right in. Once aboard it is all worth it though. I just don't take any more short trips so the positive outweighs the negatives.

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Winter thoughts...

the only reason i ride a bike is cause it gets warm, the snow melts and i can't ride the sled anymore.

sledding is like riding the bike with no speed limit.

go as fast as you want just stay on the right side of the trail.

btw: 0-60mph my sled will out accelerate my r1

jim

"Molon labe"

Winter thoughts...

I may be straying a *bit* off course here. But is climate REALLY the only reason someone your/our age would move? No, seriously. I know many of us long for more summer, less winter. But is that ALONE enough to make any of us move?

As much as I bitch about winter, it's not enough to make me pack it all up. Don't be misled, Cheryl & I have talked about moving down the eastern coast. Talked a lot about it lately. Then I realized that oddly enough, deep down inside in places I don't like to talk about, I'd actually really miss it to an extent...

I've been to places like FLA. Sure places like that don't experience REAL winter. But I've been down there in June & July & August, etc., and THAT'S unbearable. Sure, one can argue the relief found in A/C for those times. But one could also argue the comfort of HEAT in our climate...

I dunno. I guess I'll feel differently about New England when I'm in my 70's or some shit...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Winter thoughts...

You can't truly appreciate the summer if there is no winter.

As far as climate is concerned I think new england is about perfect. We get such a good range, 4 unique seasons. 3 of them are good for riding, but none of them so extreme that they are unbearable. We also don't get any major natural disastors. I would never want to deal with hurricanes, tornados, or earthquakes on a regular basis. I'll take the snow over them any day!

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Winter thoughts...

I rode yesterday and to be honest it was a blast , as I was all
    wrapped up and had the heated jacket on and grips which makes it
    really pleasant . I also have pretty good rain gear so all set there.
    Being Irish' rain never bothered me and riding yesterday reminded me
    of how much I like to ride regardless of the weather, to be tooling
    along totally in tune with the big cat and my surroundings is a very
    existentialist experience and I consider myself very lucky to be
    able to get as much out of motorcycling as I do
    I will still ride thruout the winter regardless of the temps and I will enjoy the experience.
    I'm not a fan of winter but I make the best of it and i plan a couple of trips to help break the winter up

eat me

Winter thoughts...

I'd rather ride in FL anyday over the crap you ride in MOST OF THE YEAR.

Oh, that's right, I forgot "REAL" riders only ride twisties....

You truly don't get the motorcycling experience as you have an opinion on every little aspect of motorcycling without having actually experienced a lot of what you opine about.
    If there is one person on this board that has experienced every type of riding in all sorts weather it's Randy and your little comment about real riders only ride twisties shows how off base you are..
    You just don't get it, this may sound like a personal dig joe it's not , but sometimes you are wrong and this is one of those times.

eat me

Lifer

Winter thoughts...

And wouldn't you know it... I put the bike and car away, buy my new ski helmet, and suddenly we are expecting temps in the 50's... I think I can really jinx winter by buying expensive new snow tires or skis, we definetly wouldn't get any snow....

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Winter thoughts...

Hello Hello is anyone in there

SKIING BABY !!! or Snowboards

If you like fast MC you will like skiing.

You don't remenber fast mc because that's the best part being in the moment. You remember bicycling (yes I have one) because your mind can wander and it takes an hour to go 15 miles as opposed to the 10 mintutes it should take.

Store the bike away, wait 3 more weeks and head for Vermont

Like women and sex don't make a judgement till at least your 3rd time

Skiing though costly, you can do it your whole life, If you still party theres no better place, and its something a family can do together for decades

I am a very old father and I am starting my 4 year old in earnest this year

FYI By the time you buy real ski clothing you won't be uncomfortable out there

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Winter thoughts...

Actually Mick, you're the one that's sadly mistaken.

Riding has no friggin' rules, or guidelines, it's what you want to make it, and in case you didn't get it, my saying that "real riders" only ride the twistes was to mock all the idiots that actually think that way, and think that anyone else is just a "poser". Which, by the way, in itself is equally as satisfying to some people, so what's the big fucking deal?

Funny thing is, you should apply your own Zombie vomit ( ) to Randy 'cause he certainly has an opinion on every aspect, negative ones with respect to Florida. So are his opinions "better"? Does Randy define "motorcycling"? LMAO.
    So Joe, just what to fuck makes you think I have never ridden in Florida. the reason I have the opinion that it SUCKS is cause I have, for all I know, maybe even more riding than you have done there I dunno. Seems like Ben sez it SUCKS too . thing is whatever kind of riding you are talking about, I can do the same type of riding right here in NH, just not in the winter..

If I were to winter in the sunshine, it would be in Arizona long before it would be Florida.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Winter thoughts...

Joe,

You've done a great job at taking a thread which was NOT about winter and bastardizing it, and trying to offend as many people as possible. Congratulations as usual.

The whole point was just that winter gives me a break, and the break gives me plenty of time to contemplate whether riding is really that great after all. The answer to "Do I really enjoy riding?" is not "Move somewhere where I can ride more."

Ben

Winter thoughts...

HA! Joe would NEVER let anyone think he's wrong. Ain't happenin', get over it...

Riding in FLA DOES suck. I spent a month down there with no other transportation besides my motorcycle. It was a fuggin' joke. Flat, straight, and sand EVERYWHERE. Granted, I only managed to log 2000 miles while I was there. But it was 2000 incredibly boring, monotonous miles. The only excitement was the high speeds that everyone seems to move along on the freeways. But even that got boring after an hour or so...

I love riding. And even where I live, there's three - MAYBE - four months that I won't ride. Conversely, if I lived in FLA, I most likely wouldn't be riding much in June, July, and August. Every place I've ever visited in FLA had torrential rain every-fuggin'-day between 6:00-6:30, complete with flash floods, that lasted for a half hour to an hour...

Suck it up, Ben. As you said, you're attempted liberation from motorcycling CAN'T last anyway. If you wanna add some excitement to rides next year, we'll hook up for some blasts. I think I can help you gain a new persepective...

Doesn't matter anyway. You're all wrong...

Winter thoughts...

***fires rifle in air***

You're ALL kaks... Particulary Ben, who I've come to suspect is just flat out insane.
    Yip, and HE'S exactly the type of person YOU should watch out for...

Winter thoughts...

WHY? Ben???

Laugh it up, funny boy. He's EXACTLY the type to snap and get YOUR face on the news...

No offense, Ben. I just feel you fit the profile...

Lifer

Winter thoughts...

Originally posted by Stoneman
    Laugh it up, funny boy. He's EXACTLY the type to snap and get YOUR face on the news...

No offense, Ben. I just feel you fit the profile...
    I was told that we software engineers are a risk for disability insurance companies as we go INSANE!

You want to see me insane just see me injured when I can't work out or ride.

You guys would PRAY for Mystery Squid's worst day if I broke my leg in a riding accident or something.

Re: Winter thoughts...

Originally posted by benVFR
    Guess all the riding I do is starting to blend together. It is all fun in the moment but afterwards I never seem to be left with any great memories, whereas some of my other hobbies tend to leave me with lasting memories. That is what it is all about for me... the memories, not how cool I am or anything like that.
    How many years have you ridden for?

I can sort of relate to your 'pain' as I am a lifetime mariner. I have been on boats my whole life until I sold my boat this spring.

I got sick of spending about the cash equiv. of what I paid for my SV, just to store, insure, haul and dock my boat each year. (not including use, repairs or maint.)

Plus, it got to be just plain 'tiring' and not fun anymore. My memories started becoming that of my bank account getting ass reamed to keep the boat up, being bitten by mosquitos while toiling in a boatyard, and being a chaperone to a bunch of drunken passengers when I actually made it out on the water.

I thought to myself, why not cash in my chips while my boat is still nice & worth something, my memories are (mostly) good ones, and I am still able to pursue other fun stuff.

So I decided to do something I always 'talked' about doing my whole life, and learned how ride a MC. I met my personal goal of not killing myself and had a lot of fun learning to ride.

So, my advice would be to worry less about what you could be doing instead of riding and more about pursuing those things you'd actually rather be doing.

When you figure out what that is you can either keep the bike as a toy or just cash out. You can't buy time but you can always get another bike...

For the record the only place I ride a MC in FL is in Vice City. I think its pretty fun

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast