Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winter Bike Storage

Winter Bike Storage

Hey guys: yes, I'm new here, and yes, I already did a search for this topic.

I'm wondering what you all do for winter storage around here? I'm from Michigan, and I've lived in Chicago, Pittsburgh, and now Boston (Allston...ugh), and I've had a motorcycle in every place except for here, for one simple reason: when I lived in Pittsburgh I didn't have a garage, so keeping my '87 Concours outside for the winter practically destroyed the thing. I'm sure the majority of you don't have a garage, so what do you do? I want to buy a bike again very badly but I don't know what to do as far as parking is concerned. Thoughts?

Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.508 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I wonder how much interest there would be in a bike storage facility in the boston area with 24 hour access to bikes, workspace etc?

Re: Winter Bike Storage

id be interested.

Bike: 04 SV1K
    Cage: 06 Mini cooper s, 200whp

I'm trying to figure out where I would put a track bike, so put me down as interested. Boston area would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.508 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I wonder how much interest there would be in a bike storage facility in the boston area with 24 hour access to bikes, workspace etc?
    Lot's of interest, but to the business owner, it's a pain in the arse getting paid every month. Insurance in MA is ridiculous too, so no work area allowed, just storage and generally no fuel in the bikes, it's just too expensive to make any kind of profit after insurance.

Doc's dream bike castle hasn't been erected yet?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by Twheat18 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out where I would put a track bike, so put me down as interested. Boston area would be great.
    duh - my house, and/or ricks...

.:|LaRNZ|:.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post

Lot's of interest, but to the business owner, it's a pain in the arse getting paid every month. Insurance in MA is ridiculous too, so no work area allowed, just storage and generally no fuel in the bikes, it's just too expensive to make any kind of profit after insurance.
    Ted, we need to talk.

I got a second garage complete devoted to my motorcycle, could probably fit a ton in there.

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto View Post
    Yeah, I had looked into such a thing as few years back but the costs/hassle seemed to outweigh the profits for the concept I had. SOUnds like Derek has something up his sleeve perhaps. It would def be nice to have aplace where you can store and work on your bike in or near the city.

Supa Motarded! If you see me backin it in, keep watching...Im about to crash

Zip Tie Alley #237

There's a rite way and a wrong way to store a bike for the winter. This is the rite way...

Yamaha

That is so nice!!

...so either park it in my living room or the hypothetical storage facility you've all be talking about? Welcome to Boston, I guess.

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

just drop it off at tricky mikes!

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    There's a rite way and a wrong way to store a bike for the winter. This is the rite way...

Oh my god I want! That is beautiful!

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregorilla View Post
    Hey guys: yes, I'm new here, and yes, I already did a search for this topic.

I'm wondering what you all do for winter storage around here? I'm from Michigan, and I've lived in Chicago, Pittsburgh, and now Boston (Allston...ugh), and I've had a motorcycle in every place except for here, for one simple reason: when I lived in Pittsburgh I didn't have a garage, so keeping my '87 Concours outside for the winter practically destroyed the thing. I'm sure the majority of you don't have a garage, so what do you do? I want to buy a bike again very badly but I don't know what to do as far as parking is concerned. Thoughts?

Thanks!
    I'm thinking the majority here do have garages, at least those who post often. This site seems to attract pretty hard-core bike people.

Still got the Conc? I had an 86 for years and like those a lot. I used to hang out with a bunch of Conc riders.

A few Concs in my driveway

Nah, I sold it before moving here in the summer of 2008. I loved that bike. My dad had a 2000, which was evidently de-tuned from the earlier models because mine had a lot more power through the first few gears. The only thing I didn't like about it was that after about 2.5 hours, my knees felt like they needed surgery.

I did some poking around at various websites yesterday and there are all sorts of tent-looking things you can buy to keep a motorcycle in, but my concern is that they wouldn't be good enough for the winters here. I've seen people keep them out on the street in Allston all winter and I think that's just stupid.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregorilla View Post
    Nah, I sold it before moving here in the summer of 2008. I loved that bike. My dad had a 2000, which was evidently de-tuned from the earlier models because mine had a lot more power through the first few gears. The only thing I didn't like about it was that after about 2.5 hours, my knees felt like they needed surgery.
    I know what you mean about knee issues. I am far more comfortable on my ZX9R than I was on my Conc (well, I was until I screwed up my shoulder).

To R7, are you gonna race that at loudon? Trackday?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    To R7, are you gonna race that at loudon? Trackday?
    I've held off on signing up for trackdays because work is somewhat slow, but things are looking better. So hopefully 4 or 5 trackdays this year. No racing, I sold my stuff in the past and not really set up now to make it affordable.
    Trackdays and trail riding is what that bike gets used for

Yamaha

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

I used my basement @ my old place. New place they're in a cedar shed. The shed is water tight with real shingles, etc. and the cedar is good about eating up the moisture so stuff in there doesn't rust.

Some storage facilities don't really care what you keep in there as well. No clue if it's on the insurance or not but I'm friends w/ the owner of one and I'm pretty sure it's don't ask/don't tell, or insured, because I've been there with him and seen cars and boats in the units.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

I'd say a storage facility would be good too. Thats what I was going to do till my landlord let me use the barn at another property he owns.

A stray cat lives in there and it has a weird smell but there are no mice

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Dummy Denno View Post
    just drop it off at tricky mikes!
    Totally! I got like $4500 for your shit on craigslist last month!
    Ps- fuck you in the neck
    oh, and pps- YOU didn't even drop it off, the rugby elf did, you ass

Last edited by Tricky Mike; 04-16-10 at 05:58 PM.

I rented a storage unit. 10' x 10'. It worked but not all that well. It was 79 dollars per month. I bought a trailer. The payment is 108 dollars a month. It is a lot nicer and works much better. And I will own it outright in the future.

Ah, a trailer, that's something I didn't think of. Sounds like a good idea. Well, I've got some time to decide, so hopefully I can find a place that has a garage and I won't have to worry about it, but at least I know I can go ahead and buy a bike. Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast