Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Winter Projects - what's on the agenda?

Re: Winter Projects - what's on the agenda?

Find a spare set of rims for the Austrian bike and find icy tires to mount on said rims.

Ride on ice.

Sell a few bikes in the spring.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    All done. Now what?
    Valve adjustment
    New cam belts
    Rebuild forks
    Rebuild shock
    Repack all pivots
    Replace brake fluid
    Flush coolant
    Repack cans
    Clean/re-oil air filter
    New sparkies
    Measure clutch pack(in spec!)
    Oil/OEM filter
    Brake pads (SRJLs son!)
    Various small welding projects: Exhaust/subframe tabs
    Pretty much all of that, plus a couple of electrical upgrades. I'm too lazy to type my own list.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
    - Oscar Wilde

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Sell a few bikes in the spring.
    Adult in me says "yeah, that too".
    Man-child says "meh".

Ice riding on a pissed off 4fatty, hopefully without accumulating new injuries.

In April we put the batteries back in the bikes, check tire pressure and go racing.

ps - building a sv to piss off the lw racers, hadn't got around to them yet.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

I should strip it down to the frame and go through it all. But Ill probably change the oil and water, and flush brake fluid.
    3 month winters don't leave a lot of time for maintenance.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

dirtbikes
    wr250 F- nothing other htan keepignher warm and happy

KD200- already started to redo the rear shock, then the front forks with new springs etc, need to swap on some larger radiators with frames. change out the reeds and throw in some new KIPs valves. Needs new tires etc.

Xr650r- i have motard rims and dirt rims, dirt rims need tires and me to put on the dirt braking hardware. The street rims need me to throw on a new rotor. Install the the new speedo, radiator fluid, new oil and thats it.

I have a kerosene heater to heat the garage. I have a 2yo but wife is understanding I need this time. I'm caught up on all the house stuff.

hmmmm......

Winter Projects - what's on the agenda?-15439957_1180001618719666_4841762889394372048_n-jpg

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Put battery tenders on.
    Drain race juice and put antifreeze in the sv.

Lifer

Im looking at picking a cheap rgv or nsr and going through it to give me something to do this winter. There is cheap as hell legit zx7rr by me that i might grab instead. Im no fan of street riding flatslides though.

I dunno why, dialed in my Fizzers FCRs behave beautifully even when you're not whacking WFO everywhere. Hell, I TRUST them in the rain. Only real 'issue' with them is doing the AP spray in place of choke starting routine when cold.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Finish up my RD400 project bike and have it ready for sale 100% in spring.
    Finish rebuild of my ST2 top end (dependent on help from a former NESRian.... ahem.)
    R&R the NC30 race bike chassis / brake fluids, etc. and prep for rebuilt SBK motor install, send other SBK back for rebuild
    Build NC35 (RVF400) for DesmoTull, waiting on freshened stock RVF motor
    Convert my 851 to vintage race mode: mount ETI fuelcel gas tank, alloy F&R subframes, source some Sharkskinz, mount, paint, etc.
    Send Beta Suspenders out for re-spring / servicing, possibly buy and mount ice tires and tubliss system

Sit and look at the ZRX because it never needs anything....

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I dunno why, dialed in my Fizzers FCRs behave beautifully even when you're not whacking WFO everywhere. Hell, I TRUST them in the rain. Only real 'issue' with them is doing the AP spray in place of choke starting routine when cold.
    And then there are the people who disconnect the AP and fatten up the idle mixture. Works OK until April or October. You know, just when you really don't want to be load testing a lithium battery.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    2. Get my $300 GS running right, finally (ya right)
    GS500 by chance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I can tell you now that just in typing this out...I'll be going with option 1, this year is not the year.
    Wise decision if you actually want to ride it. That is if you're anything like me.. I took apart my DR to do a "few things" and have literally disassembled every last screw, painted every metal bit, and now only after 1.5 years am I putting the motor back together. My luck it'll blow up in the spring anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    1. Get myself back in shape
    Quote Originally Posted by isaac_ View Post
    0) lose 10 lbs
    Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Up my work outs
    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Pilot needs to loose about 20 lbs and about a billion more pushups.
    Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    1. fitness. gotta lose a little weight and stop getting winded so easily.
    Making me feel pretty lazy right about now... and reminding me to get off my ass and wipe the cobwebs off my bench.

Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    Well, I WAS gonna get all new 675 bodywork and a fresh paint job on my race bike to finally make it look fucking badass for the first time in 7 years, but then my truck decided it needed 2500 fucking dollars worth of work, so that's out the window.
    Damn, that's more than my entire truck cost. Then again my truck is a pile of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Make the time and commit to finally getting my GED (yep, I'm a lowly dropout.....a well-paid one but a dropout nonetheless)
    Every year I think about going back and finishing college, then I remember how much I hated it. There's something to be said for the degree though. I dropped out of high school at 14, then went back for a year and crammed 3 years worth of classes w/ UMT night classes on the side, got all my credits except one PE credit and had to get my GED to get accepted to college before the school year ended. Then ended up dropping out of college anyway to pursue my business. Which sounds really inspirational but was far from it.

Like you, pretty happy with the career (or at least, paid OK, maybe you aren't happy with it), but always secretly wanted to pursue neuroscience or engineering. Yeah, not a lot of overlap there, haha. Right now my wife is back in school and we have a 9 year old so I can't entertain the thought of anything except making the bread...

Career change in mind or just personal motivations?

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Current project. Work 90 hours per week to make money to go to the IOM. See you all in April.
    Ssh. Get back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Winter Projects - what's on the agenda?-15439957_1180001618719666_4841762889394372048_n-jpg
    Yes, more pics.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Scottie, Ice tire AND tubliss? That could bankroll a 400 engine! lol

Paul_E_D

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Scottie, Ice tire AND tubliss? That could bankroll a 400 engine! lol
    Maybe a non V-4 400 engine.... order of magnitude off from one of our builds!

CCS/LRRS #83

build these
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Projects - what's on the agenda?-img_5367-jpg   Winter Projects - what's on the agenda?-img_5136-jpg  

eat me

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Every year I think about going back and finishing college, then I remember how much I hated it. There's something to be said for the degree though. I dropped out of high school at 14, then went back for a year and crammed 3 years worth of classes w/ UMT night classes on the side, got all my credits except one PE credit and had to get my GED to get accepted to college before the school year ended. Then ended up dropping out of college anyway to pursue my business. Which sounds really inspirational but was far from it.

Like you, pretty happy with the career (or at least, paid OK, maybe you aren't happy with it), but always secretly wanted to pursue neuroscience or engineering. Yeah, not a lot of overlap there, haha. Right now my wife is back in school and we have a 9 year old so I can't entertain the thought of anything except making the bread...

Career change in mind or just personal motivations?
    While it has not been without some frustration, I can say I'm happy with my career path leading up to this point....which (currently) is to make sure our machines are detecting trace amounts of explosives and narcotics. We are the best in the world and I am pleased to be able to say I played a part in that. For kicks, I opened up a small excavation company and am working on my business experience. Needless to say, there is food on my table.

Getting a GED would be a personal goal. I dropped out twice...first time because I was a bum, second time because I thought the school curriculum was less valuable than the money I was making outside of school, so I cut my losses and got to work however in the subsequent years I became very well educated on numerous topics due to the fortunate support of college friends who allowed me unfettered access to their various studies. A couple of these friends encouraged me to be their study partner and it was around that time (late teens and early 20's) when I discovered I had a penchant for absorbing many other types of information and with that, I had abilities to be able to apply what I learned in a very short amount of time and actually be halfway decent at it.
    There is a part of me that knows I have wasted enough time or like something is missing. I continue to enjoy gaining knowledge but have not made my education official in any way. Just here on the internet............so you know it's true!

Drop much pine for the garage
    :
    I'd like to get some pine and hemlock dropped and milled as well, hopefully about 10,000 bd ft of pine and 2500 bd ft. of hemlock, I'd like a pile of milled rough cut, build a wood shed fer sure, and a gazebo, possibly a small cabin next to my fire pit

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Nobody bought the SV, so I'll probably replace the front master cylinder and get some stickier tires put on.
    Ride the CB1100 and CRF250 all winter so I don't have to winterize them.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I'd like to get some pine and hemlock dropped and milled as well, hopefully about 10,000 bd ft of pine and 2500 bd ft. of hemlock, I'd like a pile of milled rough cut, build a wood shed fer sure, and a gazebo, possibly a small cabin next to my fire pit
    I still have to get my plans sorted out so I'm not sure the assortment of board sizes I'd need but, rough cut all day. If I need to plane anything I've got an old school Ryobi 10" planer that will do the trick. Couple portable mill guys getting 0.25/ ft for soft wood.

Garage was supposed to happen this year but I wanted climbing experience with all my new gear hence the delay. I'm working with my electric company to have them cover the cost of disconnecting/ reconnecting the power to my house and my neighbor's house for a weekend because the really smart power line installers back in the 80's ran the feed between the two worst trees on both corners of my property. NH Elec CoOp is trying to stick me with $250/ house to disconnect and reconnect. I've been trying to explain to them that it will cost them a whole lot more than $500 if either of those trees tipped over on their own.

New fun winter project. I met with the local water department today, they've determined my water service is leaking into the ground at a rate of about 7 gallons a minute. They're giving me a little time to fix it so hopefully I can do it while doing some other dirt work. Goodbye $5000.
    Oh, I also had my water meter changed and a new transponder installed. They had been estimating the bill for the last three years, but say they estimated low and the difference leaves me owing them $4500.

I still have to get my plans sorted out so I'm not sure the assortment of board sizes I'd need but, rough cut all day. If I need to plane anything I've got an old school Ryobi 10" planer that will do the trick. Couple portable mill guys getting 0.25/ ft for soft wood.
    25¢/ft is very reasonable, there are a lot of guys getting 35¢ or more, when I had the lumber milled for my barn 15 years ago, I paid 18¢/ft + any bandsaw blades ruined from nails or other iron that happened to be in the wood, didn't have to buy him any blades though, I went over all my logs real well with a metal detector and culled out any that had metal in them. bandsaw mill leaves pretty smooth lumber compared to a circular saw and is much better tolerance to dimension as well, a good sawyer knows how to read the grain and when to flip the logs for lumber that doesn't twist as it dries, but sticking it properly for drying makes a big difference in warpage as well

I had a minimum number of 20' 2"x10"s I needed for rafters, had the rest cut into 2x6s & 1x8s except I had a couple real nice logs that were too good to cut into those smaller sizes and he cut me some 1x12s and 1x16s that were clear with no knots, still got a unused 20ft 1"x12" clear board stored in my barn that I plan on using for a sign, just too nice a board to cut up

I used a router and ship lapped my 1x8s for siding/sheathing, put it on diagonal, really improved the strength of the building but made for a lot more waste

Last edited by RandyO; 12-09-16 at 04:17 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

My winter project is a layover from last winter and I am sure I'm not alone. I am building a Transit van into a camper/bike hauler/road tripper. I bought it last February, fully built will be another year or two.

Work has got me busy so this will allow me to range far without a lot of time, like four days to run down to the Dragon and back.

I started out with this.
    Winter Projects - what's on the agenda?-img_3774-jpg

These pictures suck but this is the current state of the van. Floor down, the seats are footrest recliners out of a Sienna.

Winter Projects - what's on the agenda?-img_3946-jpg

Winter Projects - what's on the agenda?-img_3949-jpg

These are some real crappy pics but the latest I have. Floor is about done, I plan to have a bed, house battery setup and some storage for next year.

Mount spikes and have at it:

Winter Projects - what's on the agenda?-img_2161-jpg

Of course the scoot is now blue. Semantics.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Why would you put blue plastics on a pumpkin? lol

Paul_E_D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast