Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Winter Storage

Posting Freak

Question Winter Storage

So how bad is it to leave a bike outside for the winter....?

I mean if you winterize it and pack it tight so no snow gets to it, or moisture, other than the cold.....bad, good?

I really don't have any place to put the bike up for the winter. Unless anyone has any ideas? I can't really afford to put it up in storage right now..thought about putting it in the house, but if the landlord came by, that wouldn't go over well...

thoughts..suggestions?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Getting back into the game! Looking for my next bike!

Winter Storage

1) Change the oil & filter. Just put some cheap stuff in there for the winter. You can easily replace just the oil with some good stuff come spring...

2) Fill the gas tank ALL THE WAY and use a stabilizer (such as STABIL). Take the bike for a short ride (5 minutes or so) to be sure the treated gas has run through the carbs...

3) Wash & WAX your bike. Waxing it could very well be wunna the best things you could do to your bike to preserve it's apprearance over the winter. Not a bad idea to borrow an air compressor to be sure you get all the water off the bike...

4) Figure out a solid, stable way to get both tires off the ground. This is supposedly good for both your tires and your suspension. If you can't get the bike's wheels off the ground, park it so that your tires are on pieces of wood, and place pieces of carpeting under your tires. If you plan on running those same tires in the spring, definitely DO NOT park 'em directly on concrete or cement...

5) Take the battery out and store it in a warm, dry place. DO NOT STORE IT ON CONCRETE! It would be wise to keep a trickle charger on it. At least toss a charge on it every month or so to keep 'er fresh...

6) Spray/soak rags with WD-40 and stuff 'em into the ends of your exhaust...

7) Lube your chain GOOD...

8) If you're NOT gonna use a good quality m/c cover, use an old sheet and a good tarp and secure 'em both very solidly to your bike. You don't want wind to get under the cover and blow up the tarp like a baloon. Secure the old sheet securely to your bike before you secure the tarp to it. The sheet will protect your bike from the harsh rubbing of the tarp once the winter winds start...

Do these things and your bike can hibernate very comfortably for it's winter nap...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Winter Storage

Nice write up Stoneman.

No need for fogging cylinders for the hibernation period?? Or are a few months too short to bother?

-F

Winter Storage

Originally posted by Feirax
    Nice write up Stoneman.

No need for fogging cylinders for the hibernation period?? Or are a few months too short to bother?

-F
    Thanks. The only time I've used fogging spray was with my boat. I've never used it on a bike. Honestly, I thought it was just for use on 2 stroke motors...

Winter Storage

Honestly, I thought it was just for use on 2 stroke motors...
    My SV650's owners manual recommended fogging for 'long term storage' in the owners manual. I've heard its overkill but it don't hurt.

-F

Winter Storage

Originally posted by Feirax
    My SV650's owners manual recommended fogging for 'long term storage' in the owners manual. I've heard its overkill but it don't hurt.

-F
    Hmmmmm......never done it.......