Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Wrapping up baffles with muffler packing?

Wrapping up baffles with muffler packing?

I put the Chain Reaction moto GP Exhaust on the Striple. I also installed the baffles which have reduced the sound to a tolerable level. Even so while tooling around town I find it to be a tad bit loud.
    I was wondering if any one has experimented with wrapping the baffles with muffler packing like the FMF 4 stroke muffler packing (fiberglass cloth?)
    Any other way to reduce the sound.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Re: Wrapping up baffles with muffler packing?

I use the FMF packing (from Cycle Gear) in the EMGO mega-muffler on one of my bikes, basically it's an empty can with a perforated tube down the middle. I have used other packings that I would have to re-do every now and then, like less than 1,000 miles, will see if the FMF last longer. It's mellows the sound, but you can't call it quiet, still has a bark to it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    And don't believe everything you think.

I've used the fiberglass sheets. It didn't really quiet it down, but it took away some of the 'sting'. Getting the baffle back into the can was a pain in the ass with the new packing (yes, I tried all the tricks)...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I haven't but it's unlikely to make a huge difference. The amount of packing material you'll be able to get around it is negligible compared to what is already in the muffler. And considering that the baffle works by reflecting pressure waves back into the can where they can be further absorbed or cancelled, wrapping it might actually make things worse (also unlikely but possible). A different packing material might work better as was noted above. I've heard of people using steel wool for it's longevity but that tends to make things louder. There might be something out there that goes in the other direction (doesn't last as long but absorbs sound better)

Last edited by soofle616; 08-15-14 at 07:23 AM.

If you got the shorty muffler you are going to cover so little surface area there is no point.

I put in the ear plugs this morning and was happy with the sound (NRR 33), it was almost too quiet which I am not used to, I like being able to hear some ambient sounds for potential danger. Might try a different set of ear plugs. Any recommendations on these? I am currently using Howard Leight Max NRR 33

I use similar ear plugs and have never had a problem, I can hear ambient sounds just fine. I don't have any recommendations, I just grab whatever work has that week. Sometimes they are Moldex Sparplugs, sometimes its the Howard Leight brand.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I use similar ear plugs and have never had a problem, I can hear ambient sounds just fine. I don't have any recommendations, I just grab whatever work has that week. Sometimes they are Moldex Sparplugs, sometimes its the Howard Leight brand.
    Guess I just need to get used to these

You will get used to it and quickly and probably make it part of your regular gear in no time. Not only does it keep you from listening to the exhaust which now points to your right ear, but you protect against wind noise through your helmet which is falls within the spectrum for hearing damage.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    You will get used to it and quickly and probably make it part of your regular gear in no time. Not only does it keep you from listening to the exhaust which now points to your right ear, but you protect against wind noise through your helmet which is falls within the spectrum for hearing damage.
    Very true, my commute to work being 15 minutes was the primary reason for not putting in the ear plugs but this might just flip the switch on it and turn it into a good habit. I usually carry a few disposable ear plugs in my jacket anyway. might try the webbikeworld recommended E-A-RSoft Gripper ear plugs

I skip them for my short commute as well, but I only go 2 miles. I realize that is completely contradictory to what I just said.

The foam ones I keep until they are dirty and then use a new pair. Most drug stores sell them in reasonably sized packs where you can buy two per season and be good with them. I keep them in my jacket pocket but I am mideful not to put anything else in there like keys wallet or change, just to keep them clean.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Moldex Pura-Fit 6800 is my earplug of choice, buy 'em by the case of 200 pair. For me part of ATGATT.

And don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    Moldex Pura-Fit 6800 is my earplug of choice, buy 'em by the case of 200 pair. For me part of ATGATT.
    From now on it will be of mine as well. Took a loud exhaust to help me cross that bridge :-)